Injured feral

shell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MA,
How scary! Poor Kabota...I hope everything turns out ok for him. Thank God you got him to the Vet as soon as you did. Keep us posted MA...we're all worried about him too!

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my dog nanook got bit by a spider once
spider bits are soooo nasty!! hope your pretty guy is feeling better soon!

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hissy what kind of spider bite's are we talking about? All spider's? I never had a cat or dog bite by a spider,so I would't know what to look for! Thanks Sherral

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sherral-

The vet said that with all spiders and animals there is a toxicity problem- just to a small extreme though. The toxic spiders here in Oregon are the Brown Recluse and the Black Widow spider. Without actually seeing and capturing the spider that bit him, there is no way of knowing. He got a cortisone shot yesterday and is on 100 mg's of antibiotic and pain paste every 12 hours. His fever has dropped, but his paw still looks nasty, I have been putting wet compresses on it as he can tolerate it, which isn't for a very long period of time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just an update-

Been an up and down kind of time with Kabota. I had to take him in yesterday for fluids and debreeding. His fever finally broke, but his paw began to turn really red, both on the top and the bottom as well. Really hot to the touch, so I was putting wet compresses on it. I was warned that if the bite was toxic enough, he could experience temp. paralysis and if the paw got really cold to rush him back in.

This morning, he is better. He can now bear some weight on his back leg, though it is still hot to the touch. He is demanding to be let out- but I told him sorry- no can do. He still has a week left in confinement before I can release him. The vet said that though he is optimistic, this type of bite can rebound and he can relapse at any time. But based on what I saw this morning, I remain hopeful.
I started reading to him from a new book I picked up the other day Prey by Michael Crichton- Kabota seems to enjoy story hour...

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awww poor little guy! Sounds like he is doing alot better. I bet he will be a happy boy when he can go back outside!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MA, I'm so sorry to hear that it's been up and down with Kabota. Of course it's great to hear he's doing better now, and since you wrote this a few days ago, I can only pray that he has continued to heal and will be ready to go when the original date of confinement is lifted!

yola

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll continue to keep a prayer going for the beautiful Kabota.

Everytime I hear of something like this I think of my Mum's poor kitty who got attacked by something, and ended up dying of blood-poisoning.

So with that in mind keep a good cloes eye on your boy, he looks like a real precious gem.