Injured Feral Cat, Advice Please!

labsnme

Julian
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a year old injured feral male cat.He has a large hole behind his ear in his back cheek. Im not sure if another animal got him, if someone shot at him, or if he was sideswiped by a car. Any advice is welcome, how do i clean it up for him,;;;;MUST i take him to a vet;;;;;; what about rabies shot;;;;,,, where can i get antibiotics for him. Just need to know what you would do in this situation. He is tnrd. But not a tame cat. He will come to me but noone else. Hes one of a colony for free roamers i feed. Vet care is physically tough for me, and financially next to impossible. Help please?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please do not try to treat him yourself. Yes, he must get to the vet. This is not something that should be left to be treated on your own. He may need to stay inside for a while to recooperate too. I would do your best to re trap him or get him into a carrier. He needs medical attention.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He really needs to see a vet for antibiotics before it gets infected if it hasn't already.

If it gets infected, he will be in enormous pain, and could get sepsis or the area can become necrotic. Both dangerous.

Does it look like a bullet wound? That's what it sounds like.

In the meantime, you should clean it with warm water and iodine.

Can you post a picture of the wound?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Please take him to the vet to have this checked while he's there set up an appointment to have him neutered while he is there.

If it is a pellet gun wound the vet will need to extract the pellet. He will also need antibiotics for infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

labsnme

Julian
Young Cat
Purraise
Please do not try to treat him yourself. Yes, he must get to the vet. This is not something that should be left to be treated on your own. He may need to stay inside for a while to recooperate too. I would do your best to re trap him or get him into a carrier. He needs medical attention.

labsnme

Julian
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice. I m going to try and get him to the vet as best i can. Ill keep updated on thid guy

labsnme

Julian
Young Cat
Purraise
He really needs to see a vet for antibiotics before it gets infected if it hasn't already.

If it gets infected, he will be in enormous pain, and could get sepsis or the area ca 20170608_133134.jpg
20170608_133134.jpg
n become necrotic. Both dangerous.

Does it look like a bullet wound? That's what it sounds like.

In the meantime, you should clean it with warm water and iodine.

Can you post a picture of the wound?
20170608_133134.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The wound does not look good. Thank you for planning a vet trip. We'll wait for your update!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks like a puncture fight wound not a gunshot. Glad to hear he will be seeing the vet, these wounds can get particularly nasty if they aren't treated properly.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That wound does not look good. Please update. I hope you are easily able to get him the help he needs.

labsnme

Julian
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the concern of all and the advice. I called my vet and unfortunately they arent able to give me an appointment until next week. So, im going to try to find an antibiotic at least to help over the weekend. The weather here is to be around 90 and up till now Its been quite cool. I m going to check Tractor Supply and pray they carry something. Will keep you posted
The wound isnt looking good. And im really leaning towards a possible bb gun wound.Ok. Any ideas anyone has are welcome.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you cleaned it with iodine?

I hope you can get something at Tractor Supply. Let us know.

Is there another vet that might be able to see him tomorrow?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely find another vet. This is an emergency situation. He also should be kept inside. If you have access, get a large dog crate. There will be room for a litter box and food/water.

I would call around and find another vet.

labsnme

Julian
Young Cat
Purraise
There are plenty of vets in the area, all of which charge much more thsn the vet i now use. Plus most are always full and wont even entertain treating a feral. There is an emergency service available. But my daughter in law took their dog there and left after paying a 500$ bill for nothing more than a glorified checkup.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet Clinics are often cheaper, mine treats ferals. Good luck, please let us know what happens.

labsnme

Julian
Young Cat
Purraise
I was able to get a priduct at TSC to treat the wound. He let me spray it severall times over the weekend and by yesterday it was looking good. I called my local SPCA asking about the clinuc they run fir TNR but they werent treating for anything else. Im picking up colloidal silver at a health food store close by and have read its a natural antibiotic and others have used it for cats. He seems good, but i know infection can set in anytime. Hes been staying close by, thank the Lord. So far so good. Thank you soooo very much for your concern. Ill keep updating on his condition. Nancy