Injured Cat

Irenesed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi all,

In need of some advice. I have a older (10) feral cat that I have been feeding for a year. She will come during sundown to eat each day. The cat will not let me get too close to her. Recently (3 days ago) she got a bad wound on her chin. It looks like she got hurt by another cat or a fall from a climb but a flab of skin under her chin is hanging loose with dried blood. The chin and mouth was bloated 3 days ago but now it's seems less bloated and the wound has scabbed over. She was gone for three days but returned today, a bit skinny, but ate a whole can of food. And looks and acts better then three days ago. She is able to eat with the wound. She is also exploring the backyard again as she did in the past.

My question is should I call animal shelter/control to help to capture so I can take her to a vet or keep feeding her and hope the scabbed wounds gets better as the days go by. She does have a colony of cats she lives with and I don't want to take her away from her family and don't want to stress her from capture, which may make her fragile health at the moment worse.

Also if you have any ideas on how I can help this cat recover from the wound, understanding that I am not able to get too close to her that would help. I read that I can make a bone broth. Home remedy which helps with injuries and wounds. I called the vet to see if I can get some antibiotics to put in her food for the wound but the vet will not help unless I bring the cat in.

All advice will help me so much. Feel helpless these days as I know this cat is wounded but can only do so much as she is a feral and will not let me get too close. Thank you!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the wound is healing on its own, but a course of antibiotics isn't a bad idea just to prevent possible infection. I would see if an animal rescue or shelter will provide antibiotics since your vet requires an office visit. If you call someone to trap her, make sure they are a no kill organization.

At ten years old, she's probably too old to worry about spaying (I think); anesthesia risks go up when a cat is that old.

Since the wound is getting better, I'd try to get antibiotics. If the wound starts looking worse, she'll need to go to a vet.

Last edited by a moderator:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As always - great advice from orange&white orange&white :) !!!!

Best would be if you could get her in to vet, but I definitely understand all of the issues that entails. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bad abscess (which can happen for a variety of reasons) which has burst. Abscesses are very painful - so, icky as it sounds and often smells) bursting brings alot of relief for the kitty.

And I completely empathize with caring for an ailing TNR. We had a TNR named Harry that had a wound on his side the size of a deck of cards - so deep you could see his muscles and more. We ended up finding he'd been seen in other portions of our neighborhood (it's a spread-out neighborhood) - - like that for OVER a year - - complete with surviving several very tough winters! We did finally trap him, and he was so injured the vet was astounded he'd survived days - let alone almost 2 years! We ended up putting him to sleep - - - but we at least knew he had somewhere in the 2 years WE'D seen him to sleep and be warm, and he was never hungry or thirsty or too cold.

That said - you do have options. Our vet explained our options if we ever had another badly injured feral. She had several broad spectrum antibiotics (of course I can't remember names of them at the moment) that we could put into his food that were tasteless. You can also ask her if she can give you a bit of pain medication to also add in. So if you can keep this from getting infected - if that's what it is, it should heal (obviously I'm not a vet - and haven't seen him). Last thing - - - I'd try to get several pictures of it that you can SHOW the vet. It's amazing what they can tell by a picture!

Let us know how he is - - - I"m so glad he found someone who'll look out for him - - he needs you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Irenesed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Best would be if you could get her in to vet, but I definitely understand all of the issues that entails. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bad abscess (which can happen for a variety of reasons) which has burst. Abscesses are very painful - so, icky as it sounds and often smells) bursting brings alot of relief for the kitty.

And I completely empathize with caring for an ailing TNR. We had a TNR named Harry that had a wound on his side the size of a deck of cards - so deep you could see his muscles and more. We ended up finding he'd been seen in other portions of our neighborhood (it's a spread-out neighborhood) - - like that for OVER a year - - complete with surviving several very tough winters! We did finally trap him, and he was so injured the vet was astounded he'd survived days - let alone almost 2 years! We ended up putting him to sleep - - - but we at least knew he had somewhere in the 2 years WE'D seen him to sleep and be warm, and he was never hungry or thirsty or too cold.

That said - you do have options. Our vet explained our options if we ever had another badly injured feral. She had several broad spectrum antibiotics (of course I can't remember names of them at the moment) that we could put into his food that were tasteless. You can also ask her if she can give you a bit of pain medication to also add in. So if you can keep this from getting infected - if that's what it is, it should heal (obviously I'm not a vet - and haven't seen him). Last thing - - - I'd try to get several pictures of it that you can SHOW the vet. It's amazing what they can tell by a picture!

Let us know how he is - - - I"m so glad he found someone who'll look out for him - - he needs you!

Thank you both for the support and advice. I will go to the pet store and see if they have a general antibiotic that I ca buy.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please know I don't want to sound negative at all - bc the amount of care & love you're giving this poor guy is wonderful!!! But I'm fairly sure you won't be able to find true antibiotics at a pet/grocery store as they (as far as I know) always require a prescription. I could be wrong though! I'd call the store where you're going to try & ask first first - at least save aa seen. You could check w/any spay/neuter clinics in your area --- (again - I'd suggest getting a pic of the injury from several angles -as closely as he'll let you get-- so they know you're not exaggerating the severity of the injury). S/N clinics will probably be most likely to know if someone in the area would be willing to provide antibiotics for a feral w/o seeing him.

If it were me (& I think I told you we actually did this recently --I'd reread my posts but it's late & im punchy )--I'd take the pics when you can get closest (for most of our VERY feral ferals that's feeding time!) and then make an appt w/the vet, explaining the situation (that you'll have pics but will NOT have the cat---due to the reasons you explained, and say you just want to have a talk with the vet about options for this particular guy (& unusual - at least for you!). That's what I'd try first. If it is an abscess it can heal on its own - but it can also spread infection to other areas of his body.

I do go to several sites (of course this one being my #1 go to!!!)...but I love others...this is one I go to --and I copied the link (below) where abscesses are discussed. And as always - please know I'm not criticizing -- just offering what I do and giving you options. You've already done SO much for him!!! Most people wouldn't have cared so much and gone so out of their way as you have!

Keep us posted on his healing!!!!

Link:
Friends of Feral Felines

Irenesed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please know I don't want to sound negative at all - bc the amount of care & love you're giving this poor guy is wonderful!!! But I'm fairly sure you won't be able to find true antibiotics at a pet/grocery store as they (as far as I know) always require a prescription. I could be wrong though! I'd call the store where you're going to try & ask first first - at least save aa seen. You could check w/any spay/neuter clinics in your area --- (again - I'd suggest getting a pic of the injury from several angles -as closely as he'll let you get-- so they know you're not exaggerating the severity of the injury). S/N clinics will probably be most likely to know if someone in the area would be willing to provide antibiotics for a feral w/o seeing him.

If it were me (& I think I told you we actually did this recently --I'd reread my posts but it's late & im punchy )--I'd take the pics when you can get closest (for most of our VERY feral ferals that's feeding time!) and then make an appt w/the vet, explaining the situation (that you'll have pics but will NOT have the cat---due to the reasons you explained, and say you just want to have a talk with the vet about options for this particular guy (& unusual - at least for you!). That's what I'd try first. If it is an abscess it can heal on its own - but it can also spread infection to other areas of his body.

I do go to several sites (of course this one being my #1 go to!!!)...but I love others...this is one I go to --and I copied the link (below) where abscesses are discussed. And as always - please know I'm not criticizing -- just offering what I do and giving you options. You've already done SO much for him!!! Most people wouldn't have cared so much and gone so out of their way as you have!

Keep us posted on his healing!!!!

Link:
Friends of Feral Felines
Thank you kitty chick. I appreciate ur advice.

I am taking ur advice with the pics and will talk to the vet and/or clinic for further advice. The cat has been eating all of her canned food and drinking water. She has also been exploring the backyard and back to her normal personality. Looking better each day. The wound seems clotted over,closed up, and the swelling is almost gone. I will keep u updated on her heath. And thanks again. You are a great help!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are warriors! :creampersian::blackcat2::silver:

So happy to hear she is looking and feeling better!

Last edited by a moderator:

Irenesed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Just a progress update on the wounded cat. Giving her meds, at least, once a day. Two if she comes around the house more then once.

Good news as she is becoming more and more active. She is now digging in the flower plants. (Good news to me). Sleeping in the backyard, under a tree. The wound is healing up.

Her appetite is getting better. She used to only eat half a can of wet food, when I assume the abscess was festering inside her chin. Now, she eats a whole can clean out of the bowl and comes back 5 hours later for a bit of tuna. She eats it all. Giving her extra food at the moment, to help her recover. She is noticeably drinking more water, which I assume is good. She never really used to use the water bowl i left her outside but now I see her drinking from it.

I assume these are all good signs for a recovering cat!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a great update! Hopefully she'll continue to improve and hang around your house more for good care through her senior years. :catrub:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
That really is wonderful news.:clap:
and a:

quick message from the mods :) We had to delete a few posts from this thread because they provided medical advice, including dosing instructions. Please read this post to see why this isn't allowed on TCS. We usually contact all concerned via PM's but looks like we're having an issue getting them through to one of the participants. If anyone has any issues with that, please contact myself or any of the other mods via private conversation. And don't forget to check your inbox, folks! It's that little envelope icon in the top left corner of your screen :geekcat:.