Injured cat - How to Keep Hydrated?

CrocodileSharp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a cat inside who just came home today after being at the vet for a while for a broken leg.
(She's an outside cat that everyone just kind of helps take care of so we don't know how she broke it.)
Well since she's come back she eats just fine, but I'm having a hard time getting her to drink. I mix some water in with her food and give her wet food but I'd like it if she drank.
Does anyone have any advice to get her to drink or any warning signs I need to look out for?

-any advice is greatly appreciated

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The best way to get hydration into a cat’s system is via wet canned food. Cats naturally have a very low thirst drive, they often don’t feel the urge to drink. In nature, they get their moisture intake from their food.

I’ve made it a habit to mix in about 1/3 cup of water into my cat’s wet food at each meal. She ends up lapping it all up. I’ve noticed her going to pee more frequently and her poop seems less dehydrated.

They also sell packages of cat food toppers, that have a lot of moisture that you can add to your kitty’s meals.

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another trick that works for my Juli, is getting the canned sardines in water, make sure it’s only sardines and water—no salt, oil, etc. I mixed the sardine flavored water into a little bit of water and she laps it up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CrocodileSharp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another trick that works for my Juli, is getting the canned sardines in water, make sure it’s only sardines and water—no salt, oil, etc. I mixed the sardine flavored water into a little bit of water and she laps it up.
Thank you very much! These are all great ideas. I know she's already having a pretty rough time, but I just didn't want to add dehydration to the mix y'know? I really appreciate this! <3