Injured by cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intrepidd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I nearly lost my eye today. See attached photos. My cat dug its claw into my eye while jumping.
Indoor cats have no reason to need claws.
Cat claws injure children, adults, and all your furniture for no reason at all.
If you have children, protect them by having your cat's claws removed.

IMG_6778 a.jpg
IMG_6779 b.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Intrepidd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would never have a cat if I could not have its claws removed. My indoor cats have NEVER had any problems or difficulties or even discomfort due to claw removal. N E V E R ! So what's the problem?
Given a choice between my eyes and my cat's claws, I always pick my eyes and personal safety.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can't handle a cat's claws, don't get a cat. Your cat would be best off adopted by someone else than declawed.

Declawed cats are more prone to early arthritis, chronic pain, and other behavioral issues including biting and refusing to go to the litterbox. Fortunately, other than some places in the USA with (in my opinion) backwards laws about animal safety, non-medical declawing is banned in western countries, for the most part. It's legal where I live, but so antithetical to the mentality about cats (i.e don't get a cat if you don't want it to be a cat and scratch or defend itself when harrassed), I've never even once heard of someone owning a declawed cat. It's considered inhumane here.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While it doesn't entirely eliminate all possibilities of scratches/injuries, if a cat's claws are routinely trimmed, it will significantly reduce the chances of an accident happening. There are also ways to train cats not to scratch on furniture, and teach children how to handle pets.
Cats are like any other pets, there are efforts that have to be made by their owners to work with them so they learn what is and is not acceptable. Some people come to understand over time that they really aren't cut out to take care of pets because it does require some work they really don't want to put out. They wisely choose to forgo owning them as a result. Perhaps, that would be the best avenue for you.

Intrepidd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maurey writes "If you can't handle a cat's claws, don't get a cat." That's exactly what I said.
I would never have a cat that could rip out my kids eyes. I'm lucky, I still have my eye that the cat dug its claws into.

I HAVE HAD DECLAWED CATS FOR 40 YEARS AND THEY HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS OR PAIN OF ANY KIND.
SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?

What happens to cats that are not adopted ? Not all cats are adopted.
So when I adopt a cat, it is one less cat that gets terminated. My cats are grateful that I saved them from being disposed of.

Attachments

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Declawing isn't 'handling it'. It's mutilating your cats' paws, and ruining its chances of survival should it ever get outside, because it can neither properly defend itself, nor climb a tree to escape. Just because you've not noticed your previous cats dealing with pain doesn't mean they haven't had any. Cats are notorious for hiding their pain unless it becomes unbearable.

Cats will also never scratch or hurt you 'just because'. I'd address your handling of the animal, and any potential fear response the animal might have before resorting to elective mutilation. If your cat was afraid or annoyed enough to try scratching you, I'm almost certain it gave you warning signs, or made other attempts to get away before scratching you. IMO, that's on you, not the cat.

Declawing is inhumane mutilation, especially considering there are other alternatives, like frequent trimming of the claws, and if needs really must, claw caps.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have had 3 cats who were declawed (front paws only), and they did not experience any issues either. HOWEVER, I would never personally do that to a cat given what you've already been told - it is amputation of the first digit of each toe. While it is very commendable that you want to save the life of a cat by taking them into your home, I am not sure that it offsets cutting off part of their toes.

If you work with these cats you adopt, you can mostly eliminate the problems you are complaining about. If you find it easier to have their toes partially amputated than you find it to put out the effort to teach them how to be pets, then they are probably better off being adopted elsewhere.

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our neighbors cat was declawed by its previous owner, front and back claws. Last year he got out and was mauled to death by a small dog because he couldn't protect himself. If you can't handle what a cat is, don't get one. Its not hard. Obviously if you're not willing to put the time and effort into training a cat and taking care of them properly, you don't need one. Using your age to justify that its fine is extremely poor reasoning. You can't say that your cats are fine, that your cats don't suffer at all. Cats can't say they're in pain or that they're unhappy. They can exhibit behaviors that show they are (like scratching, hmm...), but that requires the owner to be able to understand those behaviors. Declawing is unnecessary mutilation, plain and simple.

Intrepidd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Declawing isn't 'handling it'. It's mutilating your cats' paws, and ruining its chances of survival should it ever get outside, because it can neither properly defend itself, nor climb a tree to escape. Just because you've not noticed your previous cats dealing with pain doesn't mean they haven't had any. Cats are notorious for hiding their pain unless it becomes unbearable.

Cats will also never scratch or hurt you 'just because'. I'd address your handling of the animal, and any potential fear response the animal might have before resorting to elective mutilation. If your cat was afraid or annoyed enough to try scratching you, I'm almost certain it gave you warning signs, or made other attempts to get away before scratching you. IMO, that's on you, not the cat.

Declawing is inhumane mutilation, especially considering there are other alternatives, like frequent trimming of the claws, and if needs really must, claw caps.

Intrepidd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let me address maurey's comments. 1. I live in a penthouse apartment so there is zero chance of my cats ever getting outside. 2. I was asleep when this accident happened. So there was no "handling" issue. My cats are perfectly content with their treatment and lives in general. They follow me around and never leave my side. So you can rant on all you want with your unjustified opinions but the truth is that cats will be cats and it is in their nature to jump on and off things and people. There is absolutly no reason my cats need or want claws but there are many reasons they should not have claws. Anyway, if I did not adopt them, they probaply would have been killed and thrown into the rubbish.

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't get it, did this person just come on this cat forum to just tell all the cat people here that they got hurt by their cat and to watch out and be cautious? because I'm pretty sure the audience group on a CAT FORUM already know the basic concepts of cat scratches and clawing...

yeah we get it, You got hurt by your cat, many other people here have been hurt by their cats. but they don't come on here to just spew crazy inhumane care techniques. if you're asking for help, or want to express grief or anger- then sure we can be your stand in therapist and provide guidance to how to avoid this situation again; but don't come on here spewing crazy ideas and expect all the cat advocates here to support your ass backward beliefs.

you aren't posting a public service announcement with your post either, cats have claws- they scratch. basic concept. people on this site already know this already.

I'm really sorry to hear that your cat is about to get their toe amputated because of this incident. I hope you research it some more and have a change of opinion.

Intrepidd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am writing here simply to open your minds to the fact that sometimes, not always, there are good reasons to declaw a cat.
You can argue that cat scratching and clawing is not a problem. But there are times when it is a problem.
My neighbor told me about his friend's daughter who was scratched by a cat but did not think it was serious until she became infected. By the time she went to seek treatment, the infection had spread through her body and she died.

Makes me wonder how many people have lost an eye or died from cat scratches. Nobody is forcing you to have your cat declawed but don't tell me that I am wrong for protecting my family and myself from cat scratches. And my cats are very happy. There is no problem for them.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
NOTE FROM THE MODS:
As noted in the Forum Rules TCS is anti-declawing.
4. This website is anti-declawing. Understand that if you are pro-declaw in your posts, you will encounter opposition. Please learn more about alternatives for declawing

The arguments in this thread are becoming repetitive and personal. Therefore, the mods have closed the thread for further comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.