Information on Siamese?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm probably biased, but I adore Siamese as you can tell by my siggie. They truly are special cats and bond closely with their humans. Our babies are not overly talkative (Mika has a voice defect and cannot talk except for little huffing noises) and Bijou only talks if he wants something very badly which isn't often.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a Siamese breeder in Virginia, however due to health concerns (my own, not my cats), I am not currently breeding. My cats are the Old-Style Siamese.

Out of the 4 I currently have, only one is that extremely needy, in-your-face kind of guy and that's George. Pearl and Lexus are more independant, but Pearl has her demanding moments when she wants attention. Lexus will pretty much do her own thing but also comes seeking me out when she wants my hands on her body, which is rare. She's more of a Daddy's girl. Tonka is my stud and as such, is caged. However, I am in the room where his cage is located most all of the time and he loves having the company.

Soka, please do not be offended by what I am getting ready to say, but even with the edited listing of pets you have, as a breeder, I would not place a kitten in your home at this time. From what you have said about your cats, it wouldn't be a good match. And reptiles are a natural prey for cats. Too many things could (I didn't say "would") happen that could cause you to regret your decision to further share your home with a Siamese. They are ~extremely~ curious and will stop AT NOTHING to get to something that interests them. Snakes and fish would be at the very top of that list. My gentle suggestion to you is to wait. A 3-BR townhouse is a fairly small space for so many pets.

Siamese cats are also extremely prone to teeth and gum issues, often resulting in early chronic renal failure due to the systemic infection in the blood stream, which then attacks the kidneys. It can also attack the heart, resulting in sudden death. Siamese may also have a tendancy towards Pica, a chewing disorder where they will totally anihilate wool or other types of fabrics. The resulting blockages can be life-threatening at worst and at best, very expensive to remedy at the vet.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to discourage you or anyone else from considering a Siamese kitten, but it really pays to do your research before just bringing one home. Siamese do better in pairs or even numbers - even when other cats reside in the home. They are pretty breed-biased and will stick with their own kind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Either way, I wouldn't mind how much the cat talked. I'm used to both sides of the spectrum. Tyran talks up a storm and Miki is quiet as a mouse unless she is hungry and even then its only a chirping noise.

Siamese are beautiful cats and are right up there on my list of favorite breeds. They are slowly becoming my favorite. The more I read about them from breeder sites and such, the more I want one. If I do get one, it will be months down the road, possibly more than a year, so I will have time to make sure the Siamese is right for me.

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand your concern gayef, and as I said, I won't be getting a third cat for a long time, so I have time to make sure that everything is right as rain before adding ANY new cat to the family. I don't want to make any mistakes that could cost the life of any of my reptiles, fish, or my cats.

The reptiles will soon be moved to secure enclosures, but even then, I would be hesitant to let the cats anywhere near them. I was planning on asking the other two people I will be sharing the townhome with (we plan on moving in this Fall) if I could use the 3rd bedroom as a room to house my reptiles, and keep that room 'off-limits' to the cats.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 2 Siamese and 2 Bengals, one definately old style, and one a modern style NOT EXTREME Siamese. My old style boy, in VERY needy, and my modern female in snot so needy but she is VERY loving. I got the female from a breeder of new style show cats. The breeder didn't want her, because she extreme enough for todays standards, which to me means she looks like a cat, and not a bat or an alien from outer space. Anyway, the breeder told me she was extremely talkative. In the two years I've had her in my life, she has meowed only twice. She is very quiet. She is a real climber though, and has actually taught my Bengal boy a thing or two about climbing.

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gayef, in response to your added paragraphs. I understand that you trying to give me the information I need to know, and I greatly appreciate it. I know to do my research before getting ANY pet. I am never one to just go out and get a pet.

Take my leopard gecko for instance. I researched for a while before actually getting one. From advice of keepers and even people here on TCS, I decided on only keeping one female to a 29g tank, which was actually recommended to me by a TCS member. I researched all requirements before purchasing the gecko and had EVERYTHING I would need for it. I'm doing the same thing with researching the Siamese. I am in no way going to go out and get one withing the next few months. I plan on researching and researching until my mind is made up, and then I'm going to sit on that decision for a few months. Bringing new animals into the home is kind of like a tattoo. You don't want to get it, unless you are absolutely sure.

And thankyou, gayef for letting me know about the potential problems that a Siamese can have.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

And reptiles are a natural prey for cats. Too many things could (I didn't say "would") happen that could cause you to regret your decision to further share your home with a Siamese. They are ~extremely~ curious and will stop AT NOTHING to get to something that interests them. Snakes and fish would be at the very top of that list.
I have a turtle,snail, and an algae eater all in one big tank on top of my entertainment center.
luckily PHX has never once attempted to see whats in there (while i've been home at least) But yes Siamese are very curious, I will agree!

Did you have anything else in particular that you needed to know? We're all happy to help you.. that is why (of course) we are all here on the cat site!! LOL

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I mainly wanted to know general temperment and possible health problems. Thank you to everyone who replied. It was a big help! I'll be looking for a siamese breeder or rescue in a few months to go and meet some Siamese.