Inflamed bladder, blood in urine

Newhereluvcats

New to caring for a senior cat
Kitten
Purraise
To all who have had anything similar happen, I am new to caring for a senior cat. She has had a lot of blood in her urine, labs from the vet came back negative for a bladder or urinary infection. An ultra sound was done but it was Not clear enough to tell what the cotton ball like masses are all around - in regards to being tumors or blood clots. Also her bladder is extremely inflamed. I’m basically looking to find any natural remedies whether it be food, holistic remedies or herbal that I can at least supplement to take down the inflammation as it makes it more difficult to determine what the issue is. Also any one who may have had similar symptoms with their cat please share ! Thanks in advance !

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - if I may ask, did the vet provide any pain medications or any other meds?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Newhereluvcats

New to caring for a senior cat
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - if I may ask, did the vet provide any pain medications or any other meds?
I don’t believe pain meds were prescribed, there was an anti inflammatory and antibiotic. I am just looking for some natural ways to assist the cat

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A couple more questions, is she able to pee normally?

You have an anti inflammatory that she's getting, I'd be extremely concerned about giving her anything else that may conflict with that and the antibiotic. Did the vet say how long 'til they expect the anti inflammatory to take effect?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I take it the antibiotic is a precaution since you say the vet found no evidence of an infection? Did the vet think your cat has stones/crystals? It sounds like it could be a form of FIC (feline idiopathic cystitis) - see article link below.

Some of the folks on this site use corn silk, marshmallow root, and/or pure D-Mannose to help with bladder health. But, as mentioned above, you might want to check with the vet before starting any of these items while your cat is on the antibiotic/anti-inflammatory regimen.
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis (FIC) | International Cat Care (icatcare.org)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner gave you great advice. I would ask your vet or consult a holistic healer. I was raised using herbs for man or beast, as was my vet, so we are quite comfortable using both modern and traditional medicine. Marshmallow root and red raspberry leaf teas/decoction are my go-to herbs for an acute situation; many others here use D-mannose and in the pharmacy where I work, patients sometimes tell me that their doctor recommended DMannose for maintenence. Slippery elm bark can also be soothing but my experience is that Marshmallow root brings fastest relief - for my own personal experience, it works on me more quickly than pyridium for pain relief/sense of urgency. I was taught to separate herbs from prescription medication by 4-6 hours, the same as you would probiotics and antibiotics.
AND - a huge thank you for caring for a geriatric kitty!! We need more people like you. I am very glad that you found TCS. Please keep us updated! :rock::clapcat: