Infected cat bite

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is just routine, don't worry about it. When they find out about an animal bite, they have to report it. It does mean good pet owners like yourself have to suffer through no fault on your own, but it also makes sure vicious animals and those with rabies, or potentially with rabies get picked up.

They'll visit you and you'll probably have to home quarantine. They'll know it was a play bite, and you're a responsible cat owner who's kept the shots up to date. Remember - they see LOTS of bad pet owners, so they know the good ones like you.

Please don't worry about it, and sleep well tonight!

cathyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just went through this. My kitty bit me on the knuckle right after he had a seizure. I debated all night if I should go to the doctor because of the hassle with animal control. Between worrying and pain from the bite I hardly slept all night. By morning my finger was so painful and swollen I decided I had to go. Of course I had to fill out the report and the doctor's office contacted animal control. I had to call them as soon as I got home and they were at my house within 30 minutes. They were super nice and I had to read and sign a few forms. They had to see my cat and I had to show them proof of his rabies shot. He had to be quarantined inside the house for 10 days, which was no problem as he isn't an outdoor cat. I did not have to keep him separated from the other cats. Animal Control said they would stop by my house during the quaratine to check on him. They did.... every other day. It really wasn't a big deal. I did all that worrying for nothing. Also recently my best friend was bitten by a stray and had to go to the emergency room. She had to get rabies shots and we about died when we saw what they charged for them....$8000.00. Thank God her insurance paid for most of it. The crazy thing was that animal control did absolutely nothing. They never even called her. Anyway I don't see you having any problems with this just the 10 day quarantine in your house. Hope the meds help your bite heal quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the good vibes.
I woke up an hour ago and can't sleep
I am worried about Dori, and my arm is hurting all the way up to my shoulder. I got up to drink a glass of milk and take my medicine. Reading this thread, I feel a bit more optimistic about Dori than I did last night.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending lots of good vibes your way

I'd be just as worried. When Milo bit me last year and I had to go to the ER, the doctor just asked if it was my cat and that was the end of it
Not just for the fact that the cat would have been quaranteened, but we have 4 too many cats than allowed per town ordnance.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Tanya
Kisses to your booboo, sure hope it responds quickly to the antibiotics. Even if she has to move to Emerald Isle with us until this smoke blows over, nothing is going to happen to Dori!

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
Oh Tanya! How scary for you! I'm sure Dori will be fine, I wouldn't have been quick enough to say it was a stray either so don't worry.
Your infection sounds nasty, I once had something similar, although not from a bite, but the tracking ran right up my leg and scared me. After a couple of days of medication it was completely gone.
I play with my kitties in ways I know I shouldn't aswell, we trust them and forget that they are animals. I put a sticker on the end of my finger once and waved it in Nismo's face, then when she decided she wanted it she bit it and bit right down the side of my nail, and the bottom teeth bit the other side of my finger. I almost cried it was so painful but it wasn't her fault it was mine.
I hope all of this blows over and the doctors have more important things to worry about than sending animal control to your house. If they do they'll have us to deal with

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much for the support

I called Dori's vet this morning and made them aware of what has happened. She told me that chances are they won't take Dori away, and if they do decide to quarentine in all likelihood it will be in my home. She said the very worst thing that would happen is Dori be labeled a "vicious pet" and I would have to go through some procedures with that. Can you imagine Dori being labeled vicious? I was worried about them not allowing Dori to go through quarentine at home with Brody there. I spoke with my parents and IF it comes down to it, Brody can go stay with them during that time.

Oops, I forgot to update on my arm. I couldn't sleep last night because my entire arm, from my wrist up to my shoulder, was sore. When I woke up at 2am the streak had spread upwards about 3 inches, and I was running a fever. The fever is gone this morning and the streak has gone back down to my wrist.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that Dori will be fine. Six years ago (when Jazzy was 4) she got bit by a dog that belonged to a friend of ours. She was supposed to be sitting watching tv, not playing with the dog, even though the dog was a good dog and around children frequently. We were in the connecting room sitting at the table, and I turned to look in the living room, and in a split second Jazz pinched the dogs cheeks (what the Italian side calls "lobster kisses") and the dog bit her on the face. Just enough to make 4 tiny little marks on her face and cause 4 little drops of blood. We knew the owners, and our child provoked the dog, we called 911 and told them what happened just to be safe, and they said as long as the dog had it's shots this year, she was fine. Watch for a fever etc. The authorities were notified when we took Jazz to the dr.'s, and they never took the dog, or quarentined it, they just contacted the owners (our friends) needed the dogs records faxed in, I think they did a home visit.... Either way, have peace of mind, they won't take her away for a play bite.... This dog bit a child (in self defense) and they didn't take him away. I know it's SO scary, and I'm sure I'd be out of my mind, but try to be positive.... I don't see how they would take her away, Jacksonville is a BIG city, like Philly, they have real crime & real animal problems to deal with.... they won't want to waste their time with an accidental bite from a little "rough" play. They are all just following procedure. But make a mental note, that this can't happen again, cause then they already have her record of biting once and they will be more likely to really do something about it. Hang in there Tanya!!!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you're infection is getting better, I think I heard something once along the lines of it will get worse before it gets better and it sounds like you're past that now
As far as Dori, I'm postive everything will be fine, you have records of her rabies shot, and I think they'll let you do her quarantine, if warranted, in your home. Everything will be ok!!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom's 2 male dogs were fighting and she got between them and got bit pretty bad. She went to the ER and got stitches and the doc called animal control to look at the dogs. They decided that they were well cared for and up to date on their shots and that they would just come back in 10 days to give them nother look. They weren't quarintined or anything. Hopefully the same will go for Dori!!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks guys.
VERY good point about Jacksonville being big and having other priorities. In the grand scheme of things this really should fall way down on the list. Thank you for putting that into perspective.

I forgot to mention earlier, that the vets office said it wouldn't hurt to get a letter or 2 stating that Dori isn't agressive. I have my boss signing one this morning because I have brought Dori to work with me and once she was laying on his desk when he got here. She was super cuddly with him.
I am going to have a good friend of ours do one as well. His little girl comes to our house all the time and there are no concerns of bites.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your poor arm!!! If you put a cold pack or compress on it, would that make it feel any better? I just want to run over to your place and make you some homemade chicken noodle soup, and a cup of tea!!! *sending cyber soup and tea*

It should be fine with Dori...they'll ask you to do something dumb, like keep her in your laundry room for a week and a half...because we all know that Dori is so "vicious."
Don't worry about animal control AT ALL.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

Your poor arm!!! If you put a cold pack or compress on it, would that make it feel any better? I just want to run over to your place and make you some homemade chicken noodle soup, and a cup of tea!!! *sending cyber soup and tea*

It should be fine with Dori...they'll ask you to do something dumb, like keep her in your laundry room for a week and a half...because we all know that Dori is so "vicious."
Don't worry about animal control AT ALL.
Aww thank you so much

Reading all of your messages has really made me feel more optimistic about all of this. You know, last night Dori came in and laid on top of my head (she likes to do that) for snuggles. It got me to thinking, she just doesn't know how much trouble she has caused!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to read that your arm is feeling a bit better. I remember the pain of the bite!! Porr cats they don't know how much grief their bites can do to us.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

Thanks guys.
VERY good point about Jacksonville being big and having other priorities. In the grand scheme of things this really should fall way down on the list. Thank you for putting that into perspective.

I forgot to mention earlier, that the vets office said it wouldn't hurt to get a letter or 2 stating that Dori isn't agressive. I have my boss signing one this morning because I have brought Dori to work with me and once she was laying on his desk when he got here. She was super cuddly with him.
I am going to have a good friend of ours do one as well. His little girl comes to our house all the time and there are no concerns of bites.
That's an awesome idea! Get all your ducks in a row, so if & when they do come to have a "visit" with her, you are well prepared! And your welcome! Frankly, I didn't know HOW big Jacksonville really was till we drove to Disney in April.... it's a BIG beautiful city!!! (I'm sure there are much bigger brutes around town than Dori!
)

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

Now for my larger concern....
Dori did bite me, but we were just playing. At the doctors office I had to fill out some paperwork for animal control
They said it was standard procedure when someone comes in with an animal bite. I didn't want to fill it out, but they wouldn't treat me unless I did. Dori is up to date on all her shots, but I am scared about animal control coming to my house... Surely they wouldn't take her away for this, right? I asked the doctor and he commented "If she keeps biting people they will take her away".
It isn't like that! I tried to explain but he wasn't very interested.
DO I have anything to worry about?
Yah one of my cats was the one that bit my mom (well my mom is a large person and she stepped on her twice! She was defending herself against someone she didn't know). So my mom had to fill out the same thing. I freaked out at first too. She was told they might call just to make sure the rabies vaccine is up to date but they never did. I think they have to do this in case the bitten person decided to sue. Obiously you won't be suing yourself
so you should be fine.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tanya, I'm so glad to hear that your arm is some better this morning. Sounds like you're on the mend.

Also glad to hear you're feeling more optimistic about the whole thing. Those letters are a good idea. Just in case. Hope it's all behind you soon.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you got the meds in the nick of time!!!

We went through the "quarantine" with a cat of ours a LONG time ago. He supposedly "bit" a girl across the street, but it really looked like a little claw mark. Anyway, you just keep them inside and watch their behavior. It's just like if you took a little kid with a skull fracture to the ER. They just do what they're supposed to, and I'm sure Dori will get off with good behavior!!!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I haven't heard anything from anyone yet. I am hoping that no news is good news. It seems like they would have contacted me this morning since the report would have been faxed last night.

Thanks again for all the good thoughts. They really mean a lot to Dori and I