Indy's behaviour...

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Ever since I had to put Kabuto down on tuesday Indy's behaviour seems a bit... off.

She has been crying like she did to talk to Kabuto but it seems drawn out. She also is sleeping alot and off her food a bit. I did contact the vet who said it could be a form of grieving. I think she just doesn't understand where Kabuto is.

She also has had a few changes since then such as her litter box being relocated and her feeding spot is now in the kitchen. They used to be in a hard to acess (for me) room but since Kabuto is gone I moved them out to where his stuff was. This is a good change for her. Her litter is getting cleaned more often and she has acess to food and the fountain 24/7 now.

Maybe she is just adjusting to the changes? IDK. I didn't think cats mourned because they live in the moment.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with your vet, and I do think cats grieve and mourn, because I've seen it with my own. They just don't seem to grieve as long as we do, in most cases. I've had cats go off their food, vocalize and "search" the house, act depressed, or increase their bond with me or another pet.
Was she very close to him? Is Indy the only cat now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Indy is currently my only cat I do plan on getting another adult cat at some point but absolutly want to get Indy settled first. She was fairly close. They would lick each other though Kabuto did the majority of the licking and sleep near each other but not on top of each other.

Indy normaly is quite hyper for a cat. She would routienly wrestle with Kabuto. I did have to stop this behaviour when Kabuto got older though because it hurt his joints.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My guess is she's missing him. When Goofy passed last month, I noticed my cats laying in his bed more often. It's been 6 1/2 weeks since, and they have ironed out a new routine though I've noticed Lila seeks me out more, and Sarah has bonded strongly to Livie. And since Livie is always at my feet, Sarah is usually there, too.
Is Indy interested in playing at all? The calming cat music you can get online that has the purring sounds really seems to relax my cats. Playing that for her might help.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Firstly I am so sorry for your losses IndyJones IndyJones and iPappy iPappy . Truly.

I'm going to agree here that it's probably grieving - but still - keeping a watchful eye isn't a bad thing.

I think cats grieve too. When Mia passed BH's behavior (who was not as bonded to her as WL was) had oddly had the most changes vocally and physical as well. She was so off I brought her into the vets for a full check I was so worried. It was so bad the vet did an ultrasound to check on her pancreatitis and possible emerging SCL or IBD. Apparently she is fine but she is quite the chatter box now. Yells at me a lot!

Wl looked just - well lost. Even now sometimes they go look for her.

Watching the changes in all three cats since Mia passed has been so odd. I'm having to get used to a whole lot of new. Including more talking, something none of them did all that much of. BH is soooo vocal now it's extremely weird. This looks like this might be "new normal" for the household.

Mia was the glue that held everyone unified. The only one all the other liked. (Let's just say Charlie is not a fan of any of the girls (to put that mildly) - but he was her.) She kept everyone as peaceful towards each other as could be expected.

So yes,keep an eye just-in-case - but it's probably normal. XOXOXO

Editto add: Not a vet *disclaimer* ;-) XO

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Indy is still playful. She killed a daddy long legs this afternoon.

One little update she went to the relocated litterbox all by herself and pooped. She seems to know where it is now. She is currently curled up on the sofa in Kabuto's spot. Indy has always been a clinger but she has started following me from room to room.

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ever since I had to put Kabuto down on tuesday Indy's behaviour seems a bit... off.

She has been crying like she did to talk to Kabuto but it seems drawn out. She also is sleeping alot and off her food a bit. I did contact the vet who said it could be a form of grieving. I think she just doesn't understand where Kabuto is.

She also has had a few changes since then such as her litter box being relocated and her feeding spot is now in the kitchen. They used to be in a hard to acess (for me) room but since Kabuto is gone I moved them out to where his stuff was. This is a good change for her. Her litter is getting cleaned more often and she has acess to food and the fountain 24/7 now.

Maybe she is just adjusting to the changes? IDK. I didn't think cats mourned because they live in the moment.
So sorry to both IndyJones IndyJones and iPappy iPappy :grouphug: I’ve been so wrapped up in my own stuff that I‘ve barely been able to check the forums…

Years ago I had a bonded pair that had a similar reaction. She literally checked every room from top to bottom and went back to his favorite spots repeatedly, almost always making the saddest cries when noticing he wasn’t there. I think because their scent is still in their memory and places around the house will smell like them for quite awhile, this is still “in the moment” for them. They want to play with that friend, they smell that friend but no matter what they can‘t find them.

Our wee one LiLi wasn’t really bonded with any of the big cats so we weren’t sure if they would react but YanYan is obviously a little off, she won’t leave our sides despite being a very independent type. XiaoXiao puts up with lap time for much longer than normal too. We made sure to let them sniff her before the burial, my husband and I both noticed their body language seemed different as well as one glance between them seeming like they kind of understood. Then 30 minutes later XiaoXiao was wailing for dinner earning him the “emotional rock” nickname.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So sorry to both IndyJones IndyJones and iPappy iPappy :grouphug: I’ve been so wrapped up in my own stuff that I‘ve barely been able to check the forums…

Years ago I had a bonded pair that had a similar reaction. She literally checked every room from top to bottom and went back to his favorite spots repeatedly, almost always making the saddest cries when noticing he wasn’t there. I think because their scent is still in their memory and places around the house will smell like them for quite awhile, this is still “in the moment” for them. They want to play with that friend, they smell that friend but no matter what they can‘t find them.

Our wee one LiLi wasn’t really bonded with any of the big cats so we weren’t sure if they would react but YanYan is obviously a little off, she won’t leave our sides despite being a very independent type. XiaoXiao puts up with lap time for much longer than normal too. We made sure to let them sniff her before the burial, my husband and I both noticed their body language seemed different as well as one glance between them seeming like they kind of understood. Then 30 minutes later XiaoXiao was wailing for dinner earning him the “emotional rock” nickname.
No need to apologize GenCat GenCat , you've been dealing with a lot. :hugs:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats certainly mourn. They do have memories and can be fearful of things because of it. They can be conditioned as well which means they can learn to associate positive things...

Calcifer really struggled when Nobel passed. It took him so long to adjust. He still struggles sometimes.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the same with Patches when Tik passed it was so sad watching him looking and calling for his brother. He was definitely mourning. Time is what is needed. We eventually did get another cat and they do get on. Patches enjoyed having a buddy again.