Indoors vs. outdoors

jeff24girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hve a 5 month old kitten whom I keep inside, except for trips to the vet and an occasional ride in the car, jsut to get him out once in a while. I am sure that he would just "LOVE" to go out and splunk the entire state of Delaware, but I am fearful of the dangers, and so I don't plan to ever let him outside.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so surprised no one has mentioned harnesses or outside cat enclosures/walkways! We're training our kitties to harnesses right now and plan to take them out on leashes. Many people on this site do that. There are also wonderful outdoor enclosures (for those of you with the space for it), some very cleverly designed. This is an option for the indoor only cat to get some time to sniff the grass, feel the snow, and chase a few butterflies!

autumngirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to use harnesses and don't anymore... for one simple reason. When I took my cats back inside, the second you opened the door they would both go tearing off and take off for the woods across the road. That bit of time in the fresh air made them think they could go out at any time. And it was impossible to get the kids to remember that they had to scan the house for cats before they opened a door.