Indoor Plants?

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm looking to spruce up my apartment with some plants. Partly because I've been worried about indoor air quality. (I live in the middle of a big city.) Plus, plants just make spaces look cozier.

Does anyone have any ideas for pet-safe plants? Are there any plants that you've been particularly successful in growing indoors?

More info:

My youngest kitty is VERY interested in plants. She loves to climb on the big bushy plants at the vet office. So I'm hoping to get something sturdy, if possible.

The only plant I've been able to grow inside is mint. I tend to get pests when I try other plants. But mint is a natural pest deterrent, so I never had problems with it. I only threw it out because my younger kitty started getting too curious about it. I've read that peppermint can harm some cats. I didn't want to take the chance.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like hanging ones, so the cats can't kill it. I've had spider plants in the past, which are excellent air cleaners, and easy to care for since they can pull water out of the air if needed. Although not a hanging plant, I had an African violet for awhile (I put it too close to the window and it froze in the winter :doh:) the leaves are fuzzy so it feels weird in a cat's mouth. I only had one cat try to eat it, and only got as far as teeth marks. I currently have a lipstick plant, which the cats do chew on if the vines get too long, but being a hanging plant that is suppose to be trimmed it doesn't seem to hurt it. You could also try cacti, most cats don't want to mess with the spikes.
I grew mint outside this year, peppermint and spearmint and although my cats liked to lay near it, they never had any issue with it. I've heard peppermint oil is dangerous, but I don't think the plant is unless the cat eats a whole lot of it (I could be wrong) since each leaf doesn't contain much oil. Catnip is in the mint family, so that could be why your cat had an interest in it. I also grow catnip, which obviously can be an issue with keeping the cats off of, but is cat safe. If you are looking for something as a floor plant, I suggest a bamboo or bamboo palm, they tend to be fairly sturdy and tend to do well indoors. You could also try growing some oat and/or wheat grass for the cats, it doesn't last long, but it's cheap and may help with leaving the plants you want alone.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have at least a dozen African violets, and the cats don't bother those unless you call knocking them over bothering them. I have a spider plant that the cats do chew on, but it doesn't seem toxic, and a peace lily, which is, but they don't chew on. Most of my plants are either hanging or up high where the cats can't get to them.

You also could plant some catnip and pet greens in pots to satisfy their green tooths.