indoor/outdoor cat + bedroom meowing + fleas

margecake

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi kitty lovers, i'm new here.  

I started feeding my yard cat, Meeyore and we've grown quite fond of each other.  I decided to let her into my home after I come home from work in the evening around 7pm and I let her back into the yard around 10pm.  Just the living room and kitchen, not bedroom.  Never had a pet before, didn't know about flea precautions.  (Side note:  Landlord doesn't allow pets, he lives upstairs and has a dog too)  I asked my landlord if he's okay if i took in the cat, he didn't respond yet.

Anywho, I took her to the vet over labor day weekend because i just wanted to make sure she's spayed and got all her vaccinations.  Turns out she's already spayed, have FIV and fleas.

Vet suggested I keep her in for the night after her shots.  (it was labor day weekend and my landlord was out of town)

So I let the cat stay in my home overnight for 3 nights over the weekend and I let her back into the yard during the day. 

The cat is really needy.  Because she has fleas, I dont want her in my bedroom.  But she's meowing every hour and wouldn't give me a break!  So I let her come in.  She loved the yoga mat, so i placed it beside my bed.  When I woke up, I saw that she was on the foot of my bed!

So what should I do?

I would love to keep her if she's quiet and the landlord wouldn't even have to know.

Or 
I would have to make her sleep outdoors in the cold. 

I really don't want to deal with fleas on my bed-- might already be too late... i've been vacuuming a lot and I found one lodged into my yogamat and my blanket =(

Any advice on what to do?

Try to quiet her at night without letting her in my bedroom?

Or

Let her sleep outside, like she originally did.  I know she's going to meow her head off with this option.

Fleas are still an issue because she's going in and out, in and out.  I'm at lost.  

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did the vet give you any treatment or prevention for the fleas?  There are many topical products that will work, but they require a vet to prescribe them.  I would get her flea prevention ASAP. 

If you decide to keep her and your landlord agrees, then you might be best keeping inside full time.  This is the safest place for her. 

Thank you for caring for her and I hope that your landlord agrees to let you keep her.

schrody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As far as fleas go, you have to treat her against them. Yyou also have to treat her against internal parasites. I guarantee you that she has them.

Ask your vet about it. 

Here are a couple of concerns you might want to think about: 

1) If she is spayed and friendly, this could be someone's cat that you are keeping in your home. Which would cause some very worried owners. 

2) If she has been used to going outside, she will never be 100% quiet. Outdoor-indoor cats will yowl endlessly if they want out or in. Unless you get a cat door, you better be ready for it. And your landlord will hear her if she yowls while you are away.

3) If your landlord finds out after a while and is not ok with it, back to the street she goes. Which is a bit harsh after she gets used to the comfort of your home. 

I feel that if the cat cannot decide when she goes in and out of your home, it's going to be an unfair situation for her and hell on earth for you at this point. 

Twinklelight The Cat

Always loving cats
Young Cat
Purraise
If she's FIV postive please don't send her to a pound,shelters and places they could kill cats because they usally kill cats that are FIV postive if you have to leave her bring her to a no kill shelter;). And if you can keep her don't get other cats or let her see other cats as she can transmit FIV by biting,scratheing,and licking other cat's cuts.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds like a pet that wants to sleep with you. I might post fliers around the neighborhood saying 'is this your lost cat' I have her. Many cats seem to derive pleasure & comfort from sleeping with their owners. I would let her :) Ask your landlord if you can pay a small amount extra each month for the cat. Once I paid an extra 50$ a month to be able to keep a cat in the apartment.

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she is friendly enough, you can get a flea spot on, a little drop of liquid to put on the back of her neck to protect against fleas for a few weeks. If she isn't at that stage yet, there are pills that can be given that remove fleas, that you can just sneak into her food. You should also consider giving her a worming pill too, just in case. You can get this stuff from the vet.

You should also treat your house to kill fleas in the furniture. You can get flea powder to put on the carpets, but I find that just plain ordinary salt works too, just sprinkle on the carpets, leave overnight and then vacuum (don't let the cat walk on the carpet when its down).

Do both of these at the same time.

Before letting her move in, you need to ask your landlord, it wont be fair on her if she gets used to it and then he says no and she has to move out again. If he does say no, its best to find a no kill shelter for her, as FIV can be spread to other cats, so she shouldn't be outside.