Indoor or outdoor?

sarah of borg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Many years ago (I think 6) I found a young 6-week-old kitten in my driveway. She was feral at the time and was afraid of humans. I had left milk out in hopes to get the attention from a neighbors cat but aparently this kitty was living off it. For about 2 weeks she lived under our shed, although it's not the best place for a cat because that is where we keep garbage. I never owned a kitty before so I went down the street and got cat food. It took the two weeks to get her used to getting petted (first with a brush) and to get slightly used to getting picked up. Eventually I manged to cox her indoors with some food and slammed the door behind her.
It took a while but eventually she became perfectly domestic and very sweet. She would play so much that she would start to run otu of breath! We think she was a pure Russian Blue.
It's no suprise to find feral kittens in my neighborhood. This stupid guy down the street feeds stray cats, and our street is right near the town woods where they live. He dosn't get them nuetered (I think) and is difficult to contact since he dosn't actually live in that house.
We named her KC and one day she had a whole 7 kittens! She was a very very small cat so she had a very difficult time with them. She was still somewhat of an outdoor cat. Everyone in my neighborhood has a cat so we thought it must be safe, but unfortunetly, just as the kittens were weened, at one years old she was hit by a car.
We kept three of the kittens, Mustache, GC, and Stripe (Mustache and Stripe were a matched set of tuxeudo kitties and GC, grey like his mom, was named after her.) We continued to let them be outdoor cats.
Mustache, the smallest one, was the first to go. He was also hit by a car on the very same street as his mom and at the same age. That day we decided to not let them outdoors ever again.
But once a cat has been let ourdoors for a year it's very difficult to stop them from going out. They became some serious escape artist.

GC was an extremely strong kitty. He would tear holes in anything that we put in his way. After tearing the plastic siding of the AC to escape, he later teared his way through layers of duct tap he put to cover it. When he was 4 years old, his antics were his downfall and he disappeared forever when he escaped for the last time.
I supose the last cat learned the lesson after seeing his two brothers go. He dosn't escape nearly as much. We got two kittens when he became lonely and they've never been outdoors. Still, I wonder why our house is so differant then everybody elses on the street. Nobody on my street keeps their cats indoors. Our street has more ourdoor cats then outdoor people! I feel sorry that our kitties arn't part of the large cat social life outside, and they are all neutered and have shots so that is not so dangerous. Stripe and one of his new "brothers" still escape once in a while, although the female kitty I would never let outside. She is small and very skittish.

As a consequence, I always drive slowly when I go down the street, keeping an eye out for cats.

Do you keep your cats outside? How do you know if it's safe enough?

-Sarah of Borg

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are indoor cats. I believe they are as safe as any cats can be. They are microchipped and spayed. The windows all have the heavy duty screens (Old ones that are really strong). Small objects and rubber bands, string etc. are kept in drawers etc.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have always been strictly indoor. Ever since I was little. It is the safest way to keep a cat and ensure that it will live a long healthy life, in my opinion.

The only exception is the stray/feral that I feed outside.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You forgot the option of both. My cats move freely from inside and outside. We used to live more rurually than we do now- they widened the road to make a highway a few years ago, but we do all our comings and goings out our back door, and we have 4 acres of land the cats can run in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah of borg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's just strange how there are so many cats on my street. When GC went missing I went door to door and discovered that there are so many cats that nobody knows if they've seen him or not. Every house on this street has a cat. In fact, once in a while I find some hanging out in my yard (lately there's been a striped brown and white cat with white paws but no collar.)
I was once in the woods and found a poor declawed cat with no collar. I knew that she couldn't survive outdoors so I had to take her with me, but unfortunetly she had a horrible temperment (which is why she was probably declawed.) I still have a scar to this day from her teeth. I coxed her into a carrier and carried her home. This is before I got the kittens and after GC disappeared so I hoped maybe Stripe would like her and we could keep her, after she calmed down. Unfortunetly she never did, and she wasn't neutered. She hated Stripe and her was afraid of her (even with no claws and half his size.) She was in heat and she also became an escape artist. I soon noticed she had a horrible growth under her long fur on her chest. I wanted to take her to a shelter but she escaped and never came back.
Months later I saw her again, outdoors, with a collar, and she still had the growth!

-Sarah of Borg

sarah of borg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I kinda meant both when I said outdoor. There's plently of room for my cats. I mean, they have the whole woods!

-Sarah of Borg

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After losing my first soul cat due to some kind of desease I got more info about cats . Now I keep all the new one's in . I do have 5 outsite cats and always scared something may happen to them . Lucky I leave in a dead end street and behind me is some woods . But there are to many other cats around and don't know if they are healthy or sick . It is really never safe for the outsite cats IMO , at least where I lieve . Maybe I would think differend If I had as much property like hissy , then it would be differend . But not here ...

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I breed Persian and Exotic Cats and they live indoor/outdoor, the breeding cats get a chance to play around outside maybe 10, 20 minutes a day?. I will never deny my cats of the outdoors because IMO they were all originally outside and they love romping in the grass and chasing our dogs!

So indoor/outdoor for the boys mostly outdoor and for the girls mostly indoor!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats are outdoor. But at night they automatically go in and stay. Since doors & windows are closed, they cannot get out. But they don't seem to mind. So I don't know if I should label them total outdoor cats.

They don't stray very far, maybe because they are spayed. They are very territorial though, they chase away any feral (male or female)that happens to walk thru the property.

lunidoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both. I have an outdoor pen so that they can come inside the house and outside anytime day and night as they like and I know they are safe. I also let them all (except Simbah because he is very silly
) go outside properley out of the run too. I let them do this whenever I am home basically so I know how long they have been gone for but they have to be in at night always(usually by 5pm) or I will have a heart attack.:

sarah of borg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just don't know for my cats. I've lost three before their time this way but they seem to be the only indoor cats on my street. I was suprised when GC was lost. He was wary of cars and a very strong cat that could easily win any cat fight. He could also run pretty fast if he had to. I supose he somehow got trapped someplace, and couldn't tear his way out.

-Sarah of Borg

hermoine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine are and have always been indoor/outdoor. At this time I have a doggie door and they very quickly learned (on their own) how to use it. Even when I shut it, Chewy found a way out. I think it is thru the dryer vent???
I would love to be able to have an enclosure for them but not feasible at this time.
I live on 5 acres and they mostly stay at home. However, mine seem to like going out at nite or early morning and do their thing.
One nice thing, they preferr to use the potty box outdoors.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even though I'm on 10 acres in a rural area with hundreds of acres of open land around me, 1/3 mile from a blacktop road, no traffic on my street to speak of, I still prefer to leave my babies indoor for a number of reasons:

1) Most have grown up with dogs and have no fear of them.
2) My neighbors have 3 dogs that roam and kill cats (he took in his daughter's dogs when her house burned down and he wants them gone as much as I do).
3) There are coyote packs, raccoons, bobcats, cougars, badgers and fox in the neighborhood that could kill cats
4) There are (most likely) cats with FeLV still roaming the area - none of the regulars that feed at my house daily, but the wandering toms.

I converted my indoor/outdoor cat to indoors only this year. This after losing 11 feral cats since June: 6 cats to dogs/coyotes and another 5 to FeLV. I no longer feel safe about letting Bob outside.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my cats are indoor, I have 8. If I do take one out, it is on a leash and harness, no roaming free. The dangers of letting your cat run outdoors are too great. If you never let them out when they are a kitten, chances are they never will want to go out. Some my cats love to ride in the car, so we take them out that way. They never ride up front, only in the back. If I am driving on the interstate, they are in a carrier.

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep my two cats indoors. And as far as I am aware to date, I am the ONLY one in town to do so since everyone gives me a bizarre look when I tell them this. I know it means keeping them occupied, but it's not hard with toys, cat furniture and hiding catnip surprises around the house for them to find and plenty of play time.

BUT after saying that I do let them outside but only ever on a leash. Yup, I walk my cats. Though it's nothing like walking a dog, with cats, they're usually the ones who lead. At one time, Russell followed a lone ant on the footpath.

But at the end of the day, your kitties' happiness comes first. If they are not happy with the activities that are provided for them indoors alone, then they may need to spend time outdoors. This can be supervised or non-supervised.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine are all indoor cats. I bought a harness thingy to take Simba my Bangel for walks, but so far he doesn't like it.