Indoor or outdoor or neither?

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello

Let me explain my boys.

All 3 now neutered.

Sleep (if sunny and warm, on our shed, where there is a huge bushy thing with full shade, they will sleep there. If it rains, they are in. They are in for about 20-23 hours per day, only going out side for the bathroom.

Would you say they are indoor cats? or out door? or neither?

christinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They sound like "family" cats to me. Would you say you are an indoor or outdoor person?

I think they are indoor cats in so far as they live in the house, and outdoor cats because they go outside when they feel like it!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In the great indoor vs outdoor debate, I guess they would qualify as indoor/outdoor -- like mine, who do much the same, i.e. they have access to the outdoors, and choose to go out some of the time, but actually spend most of their time indoors.

madcat2k

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I personally would class them as outdoor ONLY because of the various dangers they still face even being outdoors for limited times. Though on a fair level I'd say they're neither, as they spend time in and out. I guess it's a matter of choice which you want to call them.

But outdoor cats are usually noted for the dangers they face, so remember that you could class/label them based on danger outood or indoor danger levels or not.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the outdoor area is fenced, cat proofed and completely contained, then I would say indoor. But otherwise I would say both....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its only if its hot, peek summer they sleep on the shed, we are talking 30*c +

The average max is just 20*c

I need to know for insurance they don't have both.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like my cats. I class mine as Indoor/outdoor and if its for insurance you need to say indoor/outdoor as if you say indoor and something happens while they are outdoors you won't be covered. x

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthyb

if its for insurance you need to say indoor/outdoor as if you say indoor and something happens while they are outdoors you won't be covered. x
I agree completely. If your insurance only has one or the other, I think outdoor is legally the right thing to put down.

madcat2k

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If they only have 2 options on the insurance.

Indoor or Outdoor

You'll need to select Outdoor, as they are technically outdoor cats exposed to outdoor dangers which is what your insurance will care about.

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They have 3 options, Neither, outdoors and indoors.

When they go out doors, I can see them, they are not near a road.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ask what they mean by neither, since I can't imagine a cat being neither indoors nor outdoors, except maybe Schrodinger's cat.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ebrillblaiddes

Ask what they mean by neither, since I can't imagine a cat being neither indoors nor outdoors, except maybe Schrodinger's cat.
Haha, except that cat is BOTH at the same time.......LOL.

You should call them to ask about that "neither" option. If that doesn't cover indoor/outdoor lifestyles, probably you'd have to put "outdoor". Otherwise they might not be fully covered.

madcat2k

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Neither is really strange to me. English isn't my first language, but it still sounds weird.

I mean, a cat is either in door or outdoors, right? So it isn't neither, but either, there for the options should be..

Indoor (A cat that spends it's entire life indoors)
Outdoor (A cat that lives outdoors, IE a stray but gets fed and looked after while it's around)
Both (A cat that spends time indoors and outdoors)

Those 3 options make sense to me, but...

Neither (A cat that doesn't exist, or can't be outdoors or indoors so it must not exist, therefore the cat is not real.)

But then, neither could mean it's not pure outdoor, or pure indoors, therefore it's classed as neither, but a better word to use is it can't be classed as "EITHER", right? So it's the same thing, I guess? But oddly enough both are kind of out of place. To say "either" would be it's either one or the other, correct? So

Why did they not just put "Both" if it were to mean it's both indoors and outdoors? Sound stupid to me to go through all that trouble to not be that clear on something that could mean one or the other, the same or both of the same.

The reason why I'm going so deep into this is because, they are NOT clear to begin with. At least, maybe I need to better understand English but still....

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's not your understanding of the language. It's their use of the language. I think you're going to have to ask them what they meant.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

In the great indoor vs outdoor debate, I guess they would qualify as indoor/outdoor -- like mine, who do much the same, i.e. they have access to the outdoors, and choose to go out some of the time, but actually spend most of their time indoors.
my thoughts exactly...

I have made far far more trips to the ER with the indoor cats than the indoor/ outdoor cats

Call I am guessing neither is supposed to be either

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have asked, they said its neither due to the cat not being an indoor cat (purely living inside), or being and out door cat (just living outdoors), where a cat dose not cover those its an neither indoor or outdoor cat.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on the neuters! If your cats go out at all, then consider them outdoor, so that in the event of an outdoor accident, they will be covered.

I want to comment on the fact that they go outside to go to the bathroom.

it is really in their, and your, best interests to use litter boxes. If they are only eliminating outside you will not be able to see key signs of illness that you would if you can monitor their bathroom habits.

If one of them should develop a urinary tract infection, constipation, diarrhea, or anything that goes along with these issues you would be less likely to notice it before it is too late, if you don't know their toilet habits.

So, in my opinion, it would be best to put in litter boxes and encourage your boys to use them.

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I clear it up every morning, I know where my boys go.

Same place every time. always solid stuff, I know who's is who as when bubbles lost his tail, he had a lot of blood with his stuff.