Indoor or outdoor cats just a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hiya all, I have been a member on here now for a couple of weeks and after reading alot of posts I have discovered that most of your kitties are indoor kitties. My cats are both indoor and outdoor but they are very lazy and hardly go out-unless necessary(bathroom) I have one cat that is out all the time and I hate it, we live on a busy road and I have seen her cross it loads of times. The main question is why do you prefer indoor cats and what are your main reasons? Coming from england its a whole different cat world (and england are a lot less caring from reading how caring you all are) We over here seem to have alot more cat cruelty and needy cat problems, I am just being nosy really and want to get to know you all a bit more and your way of how you love and treat your kitties.xx

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I keep my girls in,because I had a cat go missing!

I had a wonderful cat named Hatchet.He was more dog-like then cat and was VERY loyal to me.It was not in his nature to run away.Well one day he got out (June 2008) and I never seen him since! He was also an indoor cat,because I find it safer.I live in the city and even though my neighbourhood is quiet generally,I still do not want to take risks.I really miss Hatchet and so I make sure now that there is NO WAY my current girls can get out.I cannot bear to lose them too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 709Juggalette

I keep my girls in,because I had a cat go missing!

I had a wonderful cat named Hatchet.He was more dog-like then cat and was VERY loyal to me.It was not in his nature to run away.Well one day he got out (June 2008) and I never seen him since! He was also an indoor cat,because I find it safer.I live in the city and even though my neighbourhood is quiet generally,I still do not want to take risks.I really miss Hatchet and so I make sure now that there is NO WAY my current girls can get out.I cannot bear to lose them too!
Oh dear thats terrible, I have lost one cat 3 years ago when she got run over we lived on a very busy road but the back was rural, she got hit by a car and the car didn't stop, she crawled into a neighbours driveway and he phoned me but it was too late, our laws here are disgusting, if a dog gets hit by a car then police are to be informed but not a cat, my kitty could have been saved if the law included cats, its so sad, I was devestated for months but I fell pregnant with my daughter the day my kitty died, I believe that this was a sign even though my hubby thinks I am a stupid for thinking so.x

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO Trout is much safer in the house. I would never risk her life or livelihood by letting her go outside. There are too many dangers for a kitty out there.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthyb

The main question is why do you prefer indoor cats and what are your main reasons? Coming from england its a whole different cat world (and england are a lot less caring from reading how caring you all are) We over here seem to have alot more cat cruelty and needy cat problems, I am just being nosy really and want to get to know you all a bit more and your way of how you love and treat your kitties.xx
All three of mine are indoor cats. The only one whom ever goes outside is Sassy who is my oldest at 18. He will go outside and sit on the lawn-chair if I am working on my deck. He doesn't leave the lawn-chair and as soon as I go back inside he comes in as well. I prefer to have them as house cats simply for safety sake. I live near a busy road, as well as railway tracks and a wooded area where other wild animals like foxes, raccoons and fishers live all three of which are very likely to kill a cat given the opportunity. Not to mention neighborhood dogs and those humans who think hurting small animals is amusing.

There are also many problems not necessarily cruelty but certainly neglect when it comes to feral cat populations here in Canada as well. To many people look at cats in particular as disposable pets, and once they get tired of them simply throw them outside to fend for themselves.

As far as how I love and treat my kitties. Being single with no children my cats are not just part of my family they are my family and I treat them as that. I know what their favorite things are, I understand their personalities and I try to make them happy. And they seem to do the same for me.

I haven't decided yet but either they think they are just smaller hairier humans, or that I am just a big bald cat.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Indoor kitties live longer. Outdoors is a dangerous place for cats - cars, dogs, coyotes and other wild animals, fear of getting trapped inside a garage or stuck in a tree. Then there are the problem with fleas and other parasites, as well as diseases they can catch.

I believe that all kitties should be indoor cats. But having said that, I confess that my oldest cat is an indoor/outdoor cat because she was a neighborhood stray when she adopted us. There is no way we can convert her to indoor only, though I am going to try my best when we move in a few weeks.

My number one cardinal rule for cats that go outside is to bring them in at night! That is the most dangerous time for cats to be wandering around because that is when the predators are hunting for a meal.

My second rule for outdoor cats is put a collar on them with a nametag and your telephone number. That will discourage anyone else from "adopting" them and will provide a way to reach you should your animal be found by someone else. A microchip is also a good idea, though don't chip without a nametag and phone number.

My other cat is indoor only. She has never been outside and has no desire to go out. She still has a collar and nametag with my cell phone number on it, just in case she escapes somehow.

ETA:
Oh, and welcome to TCS Ruthyb! I'd love to visit England some day!

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitty is an indoor kitty because some cats just don't have the skills it takes to live outside.

Irregardless of how many times your cat has crossed the road safely, there are ALWAYS people out there who don't care if they hit an animal, and there are some who intentionally try to hit them. If your cat hasn't been hit by a car next to that busy road yet, then I think you are a very very lucky cat owner. I have found so many dead cats in the road that just thinking about it for too long makes me cry.

Outside cats are typically more expensive in vet costs. Outside kitties need more vaccinations agaist all the dangerous diseases they may encounter on their runs, as well as they are more accident prone due to other animals, cars, people, objects... You can't cat-proof the outside world. Sure they can hunt and feed themselves most of the year, but is the cheaper cost in food really worth the risk of losing a beloved pet?

There are people who believe that cat's belong outside. I say this is B.S. Because cats seem more happy to be well-fed, groomed, clean, and have lots of scritchies than to face the elements. People often forget that they aren't wild, they are domesticated animals just like dogs. People don't intentionally let their dogs roam free, even though they are also decended from wild animals.

The bottom line is really, that I keep my cat indoors because I want him to live a very long and healthy life, and the statistics of mortality in outdoor cats scare me bad enough to want to keep my furbaby sheltered for as long as I possibly can.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I worry about is foxes and the road over her, four out of my 5 cats are happy indoors but just go outside when nature calls, they are far too lazy to stay outside, my neighbour hates cats and when we first moved in he said if cats came in his garden he would slap them and laughed (he was talking to my hubby) I told him if he touched my cats then I would not be responsible for the consequences, I hate people like him, I don't talk to my neighbours now,my cats don't go on his property, they say cats are a good judge of character an I totally agree.x

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

The only thing I worry about is foxes and the road over her, four out of my 5 cats are happy indoors but just go outside when nature calls, they are far too lazy to stay outside, my neighbour hates cats and when we first moved in he said if cats came in his garden he would slap them and laughed (he was talking to my hubby) I told him if he touched my cats then I would not be responsible for the consequences, I hate people like him, I don't talk to my neighbours now,my cats don't go on his property, they say cats are a good judge of character an I totally agree.x
I'd beat the
right out of anyone who touched my cats too.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

Indoor kitties live longer. Outdoors is a dangerous place for cats - cars, dogs, coyotes and other wild animals, fear of getting trapped inside a garage or stuck in a tree. Then there are the problem with fleas and other parasites, as well as diseases they can catch.

I believe that all kitties should be indoor cats. But having said that, I confess that my oldest cat is an indoor/outdoor cat because she was a neighborhood stray when she adopted us. There is no way we can convert her to indoor only, though I am going to try my best when we move in a few weeks.

My number one cardinal rule for cats that go outside is to bring them in at night! That is the most dangerous time for cats to be wandering around because that is when the predators are hunting for a meal.

My second rule for outdoor cats is put a collar on them with a nametag and your telephone number. That will discourage anyone else from "adopting" them and will provide a way to reach you should your animal be found by someone else. A microchip is also a good idea, though don't chip without a nametag and phone number.

My other cat is indoor only. She has never been outside and has no desire to go out. She still has a collar and nametag with my cell phone number on it, just in case she escapes somehow.

ETA:
Oh, and welcome to TCS Ruthyb! I'd love to visit England some day!
You have said everything I believe in so no need to add more except that my kitty Autumn is indoor only and so was my angel kitty Misty and she lived to be almost 16 years old.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbour is a ******** (wont swear on here) he had a kitten once and threw it when it tried to fuss him, we have had alot of problems with our neighbours and he will not take it out on my cats, my hubby isn't a big cat lover but he would go mad if anyone touched them, I prefer my girls to stay inside, isn't it terrible when you have to keep them inddors because you are worried about their safety.x

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are answering your own question.... Look:

Hiya all, I have been a member on here now for a couple of weeks and after reading alot of posts I have discovered that most of your kitties are indoor kitties. My cats are both indoor and outdoor but they are very lazy and hardly go out-unless necessary(bathroom) I have one cat that is out all the time and I hate it, we live on a busy road and I have seen her cross it loads of times. right there you are saying that not only you hate it, but also you live in a busy road, and thus she runs the risk of being hit by a car...The main question is why do you prefer indoor cats and what are your main reasons? Coming from england its a whole different cat world (and england are a lot less caring from reading how caring you all are) We over here seem to have alot more cat cruelty this is one big reason to keep cats inside - to protect them against cruelty... and needy cat problems, I am just being nosy really and want to get to know you all a bit more and your way of how you love and treat your kitties.xx
In average, an outside cat will live 3-5 years, due to different reasons, included the above, and also diseases, dogs, cat fights, predators, etc.
Inside cats live an average of 13-15 years... That is much much longer!
Inside cats are healthier and happier cats, as they are not subject to famine, diseases, fights, the weather, abuse.... God, there are just SO MANY reasons...
When you have a chance, and the heart for it, take a look at the Crossing the Bridge Forum... it's really sad... There is a lot of outside kitties in there,or inside who escaped even for a day...

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

You are answering your own question.... Look:

In average, an outside cat will live 3-5 years, due to different reasons, included the above, and also diseases, dogs, cat fights, predators, etc.
Inside cats live an average of 13-15 years... That is much much longer!
Inside cats are healthier and happier cats, as they are not subject to famine, diseases, fights, the weather, abuse.... God, there are just SO MANY reasons...
Whenyou have a change, and the heart for it, take a look at the Crossing the Bridge Forum... it's really sad... There is a lot of outside kitties in there,or inside who escaped even for a day...
After reading all of this I am going to try and keep floss in as much as possible, your advice is spot on correct and like I said my other 4 cats are indoor cats but just go outside to the toilet and then straight back in again which I don't have a problem with, I shall buy a cat litter tray and try and keep floss indoors.You are all fantastic people on this forum and I value your opinion.x

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jake is indoor because I don't feel safe letting him out without a harness and supervision. He goes outside in a fenced yard when I'm there for a few minutes per day.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
indoor here too...
Catulina was feral, after her spay I can see that she perfectly take the rol of being indoor cat!..
she only take a little ride early morning around of 25 minutes ( under surveillance ) along with King Milky and voila, the whole day spend it at home!..

Main reason: Security...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh dear thats terrible, I have lost one cat 3 years ago when she got run over we lived on a very busy road but the back was rural, she got hit by a car and the car didn't stop, she crawled into a neighbours driveway and he phoned me but it was too late, our laws here are disgusting, if a dog gets hit by a car then police are to be informed but not a cat, my kitty could have been saved if the law included cats, its so sad, I was devestated for months but I fell pregnant with my daughter the day my kitty died, I believe that this was a sign even though my hubby thinks I am a stupid for thinking so.x
That's awful.... I am sorry you went through this... This is another serious reason to keep them inside..... stupid stupid law - how can that be??

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
My kitties are all indoors only. There's not a huge amount of traffic, but I'm on a hill where people can't see what's in the road until they're almost on top of it. There are also a lot of coyotes around who think kitties make a good snack. I do have a screened-in patio so they can get some fresh air without actually getting out where it's dangerous for them.

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are both indoors only. Casey would like to be an outside cat but since he's declawed(not by me) and he keeps breaking his leashes (:/), he's now inside only.

kimberleigh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My three cats are indoor cats. However, they do go outside almost daily on a harness and leash, supervised. There are a number of reasons I don't have outdoor cats. Firstly, I'd be worried CONSTANTLY. I'd be a nutcase if I new my babies were running around loose outside. There are soo many bad things that could happen to them. I live on a highway, first of all. There are also lots of wild animals, diseases, traps, etc. I live in a semi - rural neighborhood, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone took a gun to them either. I wouldn't want them outside all the time anyway. I want to be around them, they are my pets after all! If they were always outside, I wouldn't be able to enjoy their company!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Indoors vs. Outdoors is very different from country to country. In the UK, it is more common for cats to be indoor/outdoor.

I have both indoor cats, & outdoor farm cats. All are altered & receive regular vet care. They range from 3 years to 18ish years. I also live in the country, on a farm. Most of my farm cats were born & raised outdoors, a few were going to be euthanized at the shelter.

Status
Not open for further replies.