Indoor Formula?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

i looked at authority today and noticed that the indoor forumula actually has more protien than the regular formula.
That is good but what is the fat in relation to adult..

the food Zoey eats is 19% fat in adult and 33% protein the indoor is 33% protein and 14% fat ... meaning 5% more calories are coming from carbs and since cats truely only need 5% carbs I dont like that...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

That is good but what is the fat in relation to adult..

the food Zoey eats is 19% fat in adult and 33% protein the indoor is 33% protein and 14% fat ... meaning 5% more calories are coming from carbs and since cats truely only need 5% carbs I dont like that...
i dont remember the fat content, the protien thing was in response to what momto3cats said about indoor having lower protien, which might be true in some, i only looked at authority. i think the fat was the same in both, i just remember.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meow meow

A employee at Petsmart told me that Nutro Indoor contains some sort of oil to prevent excessive shedding. Hard to tell if "indoor" is just a gimmick or really useful.
Hmm well then without comparing labels I'm not convinced that there is a major difference. We don't really have a shedding problem, in fact Rocky sheds the least of my cats and he's the only kitty I am concerned about nutritionally... It would be nice if they left my houseplants alone, but I do give them some nip once in awhile which would help with their "green" intake.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most indoor formulas are just like weight control formulas. They tend to have less protein and if they don't have less protein they have less fat. Basically they have more carbohydrates than regular formulas. I think it's a marketing gimmick as well. I think for indoor cats, better feed them a lot of wet food and if feeding dry, buy a dry food that is moderate in calories, like California Natural(395 calories per cup) as opposed to Innova(537 calories per cup).

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vanillasugar

I'm a firm believer that all these "specialty" formulas (like indoor, or in RC's case, all the specific breed foods) are a complete marketing ploy. An indoor cat who is free fed mediocre quality dry food and doesn't get enough excersice is going to get fat no matter WHAT food they're on, whereas an indoor cat, who is fed the proper amount of food a day, and is PLAYED with, will be much happier and healthier in the long term.
SECOND THAT!!!!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Evo which doesn't have an indoor formula, but I agree both with what VanillaSugar and partially Moggiegirl said.
I don't necessarily agree with feeding a moderate calorie food compared to a higher food, as long as you feed the correct calories for your cat's weight. Mine are heappy with the amount of food they get, but I do think it is just a gimmick to sell more of their product and that many just having carb fillers to make your cat feel full sooner