Indoor Cats Being Bullied By Outdoor Neighborhood Cat

Ridgegazer

Proud mom of two rescue Bengal cats.
Kitten
Purraise
Help! My two indoor female rescue Bengal cats are being bullied everyday by an outdoor neighborhood cat every day and night. The neighborhood cat is throwing himself forcefully at the front and back doors every night, it wakes all of us up as it sounds like someone is trying to break into the house. He also comes up on the back deck and looks in the window at the cats, and comes up on the front porch and the porch swing and looks in the windows, day and night. The cats are very frightened of him, and because they are Bengals they go into full attack mode, snarling, growling, vocalizing, posturing agressively through the windows at him. They spend a lot of time pacing indoors, watching the doors and windows for him. They can sense when he is in the yard. I turn on the outside lights and open the door to yell at him to go away when I see him, but he ignores this. I do not know who he belongs to in the neighborhood. He looks well fed so I don't think he's a stray. How can I get him to stop bullying my sensitive Bengals? They have digestive problems when upset, and one of them has begun spraying the bottom of the front door and the rug there. I didn't even know females could spray. Any advice is appreciated!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can really tell you is that going outside, shouting and/or using a squirt gun / cup of water does nothing except make you look like a fool --> experience talking :(

I've actually never heard of the throwing himself at the doors behavior...neighbor cats creeping on indoor cats is common, and its especially an issue if you have a glass door, but this is the first time I've heard of your exact issue. I wonder if he isn't neutered?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ridgegazer

Kitten
Purraise
All I can really tell you is that going outside, shouting and/or using a squirt gun / cup of water does nothing except make you look like a fool --> experience talking :(

I've actually never heard of the throwing himself at the doors behavior...neighbor cats creeping on indoor cats is common, and its especially an issue if you have a glass door, but this is the first time I've heard of your exact issue. I wonder if he isn't neutered?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ridgegazer

Kitten
Purraise
He may not be, but both of my cats are spayed so not sure why he is stalking my cats.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If your cats never go out could you possibly try one of those cat repellent products? There are chemicals you sprinkle as well as sound devices. I've never tried them so I can't help you on how well they work. You can even use natural stuff that cats don't like the smell of, like citrus spray to make the property smell unpleasant to the cat.

The only other real thought I have is to block your windows, at least where they can see out and he can see in. I know it's not the best solution, but it could help. Maybe if they can't see out to see the intruder and he can't see them they will lose interest.

I would also try talking with neighbors and see who owns the cat, I know in some areas just because a cat is well fed does not mean it has an owner. People commonly leave food out for cats and feed neighborhood cats. If you can find out who owns it you can find out if it's neutered, it could very well be bugging your girls because he is looking for love. Even though your females are spayed they still smell like females, intact males can be pretty dumb, lol. The male could also be spraying your house outside as well, so he could be causing damage to the outside of your house. If the cat doesn't belong to anyone and no one wants him, you can possibly look into having him trapped and taken to a shelter.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catch-neuter-and-release is definitely an option, and I'm sure most vets wouldn't charge just to tell you if the cat is already neutered. But you do have to somehow figure out if its someone's cat first, and that can be tricky cause some of these guys roam quite a bit.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could try leaving a large (2ltr size) plastic bottle filled with water ouside the doors and windows, thatocten works. Also would it be practical to put a coue of strips of double sided sticky tape on the doors.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A motion activated sprinkler should be harmless yet very effective at discouraging the neighborhood cats from hanging out in your yard.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A motion activated sprinkler should be harmless yet very effective at discouraging the neighborhood cats from hanging out in your yard.
I thought about mentioning those too, but then saw the person is in Virginia, it might be too cold this time of year if a cat got sprayed with water, especially at night.