Indoor cats and the outdoors

blackraven514

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The younger of my cats has a huge desire to go outside. Sometimes he dashes out when my hands are full and I have no choice but to leave him out there until I can dump my stuff and chase after him. I live in an apartment complex in Florida in a building next to a man made lake - with an alligator. So it is not okay for him to go outside. I try to leave the blinds open a little for them to look out the window during the day. The other day he wanted to go outside so bad he was clawing at the door and meowing so much my boyfriend threw him out. If it's too cold or noisy he'll get scared and run back in, but he's just the most curious of kitties.

jaspers mummy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My JJ is an indoor kitty he is not declawed he has run out from time to time most times he just freaks out and flatens himself out looking around with big black eye's till I grab him but once he thought it would be a fun adventure to go straight up the tree out the frount but he generally is happy to stay in I am just very carefull to watch him and to make sure others watch him as he has never gotten out on me or my hubby only visitors tend not to be as watchfull and thats when he dose escape

blackraven514

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of getting a leash to take George for walks. He has a huge interest in the outdoors and is always trying to get outside, but we live in an apartment complex and that is just not possible for him to wander outside.

miyas_mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Miya is also an indoor kitty who has never attempted to run out of the house. She's by nature a scardy cat. I have let her out on a leash on rare occasions. Miya is not declawed, but I am concerned that with her personality, if she were to run away, she'd be too much of a scardy cat to defend herself.

I am paranoid, though, about her running away, but my family says that if the front door is open, she just runs upstairs to her room. She is spoiled rotten, so I don't think she has any desire to go anywhere else.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BlackRaven514

The other day he wanted to go outside so bad he was clawing at the door and meowing so much my boyfriend threw him out. .
That is awful

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitties want out every time I make to leave. They stand at the door and meow and Monty scratches at the door or lies down in front of it. I've tried a lot of things to prevent them from getting out. The only thing that never fails is I have to grab the kitty(s) that is trying to get out (usually Monty) and take him out the door with me. Then, once I am out, I turn around and stick him back in. That way he is facing away from the door and I am already out so I have enough time to close it before he turns around.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BlackRaven514

The other day he wanted to go outside so bad he was clawing at the door and meowing so much my boyfriend threw him out. If it's too cold or noisy he'll get scared and run back in, but he's just the most curious of kitties.
Someone needs to train your boyfriend. I don't mean to be rude, really, but there is plenty of danger outside and you just said theres an alligator nearby! Please don't let him do that again.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We taught our kitties that it was really a bad thing to go outside. Everytime they got near the door we'd hollar, clap our hands or use the spray bottle. Didn't take them long to catch on. Sometimes you have a stubborn one who won't take no for an answer.

Our Ling Ling is like that - she trys to sneak out - we have a double door (mud room/porch) so unless both doors are open at the same time, we can catch her. Ling's a brat sometimes and mouths off a lot....

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't like strong citrus smells, so if there's something on the knob they don't like the smell of, they'll stay away (and maybe they won't, but it's a good idea to try).