Indoor cat

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel guilty for not letting my cat outside. I have a front and back garden, but all close to 40mha road and also railway track. Also there is some traffic in front of the house with cars reversing in my driveway, including the big rubbish lorries...
I see other cats walking freely but I am concerned about safety.
When I see him looking out the window, I feel guilty as he would be so happy to play outside.
But the road and railway terrify me, so I keep him indoors.
He is three years old now, I have him for two years, tried harness but he is not comfortable and actually managed to escape on one occasion...

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You’re absolutely right to keep him inside. Being outside puts them in danger wherever one lives. Toys, enrichment, playing with him, perches so he can look outside - these are all great ways to keep an indoor cat happy and healthy. I understand feeling guilty, I feel bad for my two living in our tiny unit, but I’d feel a hell of a lot worse if they got out and ran off in a panic, or encountered a dog or car or cruel human. Indoors also means they’re far less likely to get fleas or ticks and the associated ailments.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You’re absolutely right to keep him inside. Being outside puts them in danger wherever one lives. Toys, enrichment, playing with him, perches so he can look outside - these are all great ways to keep an indoor cat happy and healthy. I understand feeling guilty, I feel bad for my two living in our tiny unit, but I’d feel a hell of a lot worse if they got out and ran off in a panic, or encountered a dog or car or cruel human. Indoors also means they’re far less likely to get fleas or ticks and the associated ailments.
Thank you. Generally he had a good quality of his indoors life, lots to play with, including games with me.
I think he is most stressed when seeing other cats outside and this is what makes me feeling guilty...

It is good to talk here, as it validates my choices of keeping him in...

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he stressed as in aggressive? In any case, other cats are another excellent reason for him to be inside. They aren’t going to welcome him and you don’t need to be going to the vet to get him patched up after being in fights - cat bites develop into abscesses very quickly and it takes antibiotics to clean them up. (Ask me how I know …)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I live in a calm neighborhood, but ALL my neighbours lost cats to the railroad nearby...

So our residents are inside only.

You can perhaps make an innetted balcony or patio for him?

And or get him a pal... :)
I see cats hit on the roads all the time, and it's upsetting to see. A little catio would be a great idea!
He might act stressed when he sees the other cats, not because he wants to play with them, but because he maybe feels they're on his "turf". If that's the case, fights will happen and you definitely don't want that! (I have a female cat that gets enraged if she sees another cat wandering around outside, she's not jealous that they're free to roam, she's mad because they're in space she considers hers.)

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is he stressed as in aggressive? In any case, other cats are another excellent reason for him to be inside. They aren’t going to welcome him and you don’t need to be going to the vet to get him patched up after being in fights - cat bites develop into abscesses very quickly and it takes antibiotics to clean them up. (Ask me how I know …)
He is calm and rather anxious...

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I see cats hit on the roads all the time, and it's upsetting to see. A little catio would be a great idea!
He might act stressed when he sees the other cats, not because he wants to play with them, but because he maybe feels they're on his "turf". If that's the case, fights will happen and you definitely don't want that! (I have a female cat that gets enraged if she sees another cat wandering around outside, she's not jealous that they're free to roam, she's mad because they're in space she considers hers.)
Valid point, as they are in our space!

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
My Aslan was an outdoor-indoor cat. Until 3 weeks ago. I’ve decided to keep him strictly indoors for safety and “responsibility” reasons.
One reason being He used to come home with scratches on his face and fur in his claws… that which was not his fur color. Meaning he would throw hands with other cats. the last straw for me was when he showed up with a bloody nose. Another would be I didn’t want him out there impregnating other female cats as he was not neutered yet. And also, there is no reason why MY pet should be going over neighbors yards to defecate.

it’s been 3 weeks since we’ve made the transition. He hates it but at the same times he’s adjusting to be an indoor only cat now. He has driven us crazy because he’s up at night trying to find a way to escape and meowing and howling. But it has gotten better I would say. I finally got him neutered yesterday, so maybe within a few weeks he’ll mellow out and stop trying to find a mate.
“Without his balls, he is useless to the ladies“ - My husband 😂
I would feel guilty if I were to come home and find him dead on the street, or if he were to be severely injured following a fight, or him catching some disease that could have been prevented by keeping him indoors.
Keeping him indoors is the safest thing you can do for him. I got Aslan an electric mouse that “runs” upon physical touch. It keeps him entertained… that is until he slaps the mouse and gets stuck upside down lol maybe that’s one of the things you can get for him to keep him entertained? They have some on Amazon.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my kitties are indoor ....they never go out.A few used to be outdoor,as in they were dumped on me and I found them in my yard.They never ever have been back outside,and don't even seem to care.They have several windows they can sit in when the weather is nice,and they enjoy their birds thru the windows too.I know they're safe.I don't feel one bit guilty about it.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Exactly the reason I hesitate on buying and setting one up.
It was a dual purpose idea: It's also a grassy covered run my dogs can use, so at least two out of four give it 5 stars!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m the same with an exercise wheel - Phoebe might use it, but she doesn’t need it. Daisy should use it, but she wouldn’t!
We were gifted an exercise wheel and the only cat out of 7 who would touch it is Eva, and she's thin and doesn't need to burn the extra calories! :sigh: I tried so hard to get my house cats to like it. Big fat nope.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were gifted an exercise wheel and the only cat out of 7 who would touch it is Eva, and she's thin and doesn't need to burn the extra calories! :sigh: I tried so hard to get my house cats to like it. Big fat nope.
That’s exactly what I foresee happening if I ever blow my money on one of those things! Daisy’s even less inclined to run than I am.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kind of like when you’re so excited for your cats to play with a new toy that you SWEAR they will love, only for them to play with the box it came with 😄
That happened with a toy mouse I bought - stupid thing would only run for a couple of inches, on tile, not carpet. Their interest in it was zero, though now its battery is long dead Phoebe will throw it around sometimes.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got Aslan an electric mouse that “runs” upon physical touch. It keeps him entertained… that is until he slaps the mouse and gets stuck upside down lol maybe that’s one of the things you can get for him to keep him entertained? They have some on Amazon.
Picturing this just cracks me up!
It's controversial, but some people (including me) use laser pointers.
What's your opinion of laser pointers?
I've found my cats really like it, and when I put the toy up they will only wait for it if the last time they saw it was in a corner or behind something, and I think they're waiting for it to peep out like they would a mouse. No one acts frustrated or stressed by it. (If anyone decides to try it, I am not financially responsible for broken lamps or stuff like that! :lol: )