Indoor cat

joep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can anyone offer me advice as im now at my wits end with my cat. I love him but hea making me so angry. Hes a house cat and always had been. When i got him as a kitten he had been kept as a house cat by his previous owner and as i didnt live in a good area at the time i decided to keep him as a house cat. Hes a bengal too. I moved again and i was near a busy road and he was now 5yrs as a house cat so just putting him out worried me abit also the road was busy and if he got run over id be devastated. Ive moved again and although theres a road at the front of the house theres is quite a big garden at the back. I decided to take him out on a harness which he didnt like but i wanted to know he wouldnt shoot off never to be seen again. I got brave and took him out of the harness and walked around with him in the garden and he didnt run off. After bringing him in thats where the problem started. He know just sits and howls at the patio doors and if we ignor him it gets louder and louder and its constant. He does this all night too. I dont want to just put him outside and leave him to it. Im worried he wouldnt come home or get run over if he ventured onto the road. Hes now 11 too. Any advice as the meowing is driving me crazy.

tlco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to the cat site. My personal preference is never to take cats outside. There are several things you can try such as redirect behavior to something fun playing with a toy or sitting in your lap and getting some attention something that takes his mind off the outside trip. Close blinds to prevent him from seeing outside. As he is now 11 I would not recommend letting him out he will no nothing of cars, dogs and other dangers (is he altered) he maybe smelling a nearby female in heat. I have rescued many cats over the past 30 years from our very dangerous outside world the urge to go outside usually passes in a short period of time. Just try to be patience. If it is something you really feel like he needs to do I suggest building and inexpensive outside enclosure for him. I would suggest neutering if he was younger but at 11 it might be a health risk. Good luck with your baby I hope it passes soon.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

joep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. Hes neutered already so i dont think its a female in season. Its jusy a curiosity thing i think. Hes been better today but occasionally got vocal which wakes our baby up which doesnt help. Ive kind of devised a naughty step approach as we have quite a big porch/utility room that when he sounds off and gets aggressive he goes in there for 10 minutes. He doesnt like it but gets a stroke and cuddle when he comes out and is quiet. Seems to work as hes settled at the bottom of the bed now curled up asleep. This time yesterday he was yowling at the door. Ill try play with him more too. Ive also ordered one of those plug in feliway things which may help calm him down abit