Indoor cat ?

pitbullove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 So I think im going to bring my cat indoors.I have two but the other is almost 10 and has been outside her whole life,she does not like people or dogs so for now she will stay outside ): But the male,Sebastian im pretty sure will be coming in.

I will have to  keep him in my room when company is over,at night and when we are not home,would that be okay for him? He never seemed to mind it but want to make sure

What litter that I can get in the US is the best for odor?

I have 2 small dogs,how can I keep them out of the litter box?

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to do this the right way for him!

kushmama89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know a lot of cats that have been brought indoors from being outdoor cats.

Get a litterbox with a top on it and see how the dogs are with it. Most dogs (at least the ones iave been around) dont seem to bother with boxes too much so maybe you will luck out. My dog tried eating the poop out of the box whe i had a shallow pan when my kitten was only a few weeks but when she upgraded to a full size with the hood on it she didnt bother anymore.

Right now im using purina multi dat 24/7 performane. Its about $10 for a 40pound box and i have no problems with smells. Its clumping litter so its easy to scoop. I used arm n hammer at first but every time she peed it let off a scented aroma. Some people might like it...but i have allergies and sensitive nose. There are threads about litter in another forum just recently you may checkvout.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 small dogs,how can I keep them out of the litter box?
Many people use large plastic storage tubs instead of regular litter trays, the high sides might be enough to keep the dogs out.  You can get covered litter trays but many cats don't like them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pitbullove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 Okay,thanks everyone! Also,how much should a 40lb bag of cat litter last with one cat? I know its a guess but just wondering.

kushmama89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Depends how much the cat goes how ofte you scoop and do full cleans etc. i just got the 40lb box so i couldnt tell you as im trying it out myself!

tinkermiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well I have 4 cats and we use baking soda and daily scooping to control odours.

As for the dogs, you can put the litter box in a place the dogs can't get to. Or if possible a baby gate in the hallway or room where the litter box is

eltimira

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have decided to share my oppinion on the topic, couse my cat really enjoyed the new litter box I brought home. Before buying this one Dolly used to go outside the house, of course when she managed to sneak out :), but now the problem is solved.

I have solved my problem with litter boxes using this one: a self cleaning litter box http://www.o2cats.com/self-cleaning-litter-boxes-by-omega-paw-p-137.html

There is some advantages of buying this one exactly: the shipping is for free, the price is OK in my oppinion, it is a slelf cleaning litter box, no odors in th ehouse from now on, the cat has no contact with dirty litter and the most important for your case: the litter box is covered for privacy, odor & dust control  and out of reach of your two dogs.

I hope this was useful and helpful!