Indoor cat vrs Outdoor cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dusty0463

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

My 11 cats and kittens are free to go wherever they please. I believe it's not in their nature to stay cooped up inside. I do not know how a person can be so sure that his/her indoor kitty is truly happy. It is fortunate that I have a big garden. The cats are fixed (kittens will be in November) and they have not left the property. They are safe. However, if circumstances were different that the cats would be in danger outdoors, I'd rather have no cat than keeping one locked up.
Well in your situation, it might be diffent, but I'm talking about the typical situation. As far as being able to tell if your cat is truely happy or not, you can tell by their behavior...Most depressed cats tend to sulk and not really be interested in playing, have disengaging personalities etc. My cat is just the opposite of that. You have to realize there are many other things you can do to make your cat more comfortable.

#1 Open up a window often and let cat sit in it and watch outside
#2 take him/her out on the balacony if it's possible.
#3 get a bird feeder( if possible) to hang outside so that he can watch(they can entertain themselves for hours with this).
#4 lots of toys
#5 lots of love and affection.

Another thing, I feel like if I let my cat outside, he wouldn't be a pet to me anymore, he'd just be a stray. (just my opinion only of course).

Again, there are exceptions, but it all depends on where ya live and how safe it is against the typical dangers for cats...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dusty0463

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

One thing I would just like to say, I don't understand why people think keeping a cat indoor is cruel, they live a pampered lifestyle, all the food they want, warm beds, lots of love, how is that cruel? Domestic cats are NOT wild animals, they have been domesticated which to me says they should live with us. Now, "wild" dogs also roam free, would anyone let their pet dog just roam wherever they wanted? If not, how is this different from letting cats roam free?

Also, as far as a cat being able to avoid a coyote, coyotes can catch rabbits, and rabbits are pretty gosh darn fast, so if a coyote can catch one of those, I have no doubt that it would be able to catch a cat
You are 100% correct!!

Here's an example

My parents(whom had 3 outdoor cats)

1st cat got hit by a car
2nd cat got into poision (or he could have been poisoned, nobody knows for sure, but he had to be put down))
and the third cat(the oldest one), just didn't come home one day. Never found out what happened to him.

My Mom is still deeply traumatized by all all of these things that happened and they happened many years ago. Now she only has indoor cats and says "never again will I have an outdoor cat"

But like ya said, domestic is domestic, and it's called that for a reason.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The main challenge I see with some indoor cats is to keep them mentally stimulated. I hate to see my little guy laying around bored because he's seen it all here in the house and done it all. There's no way I'm letting him outside, I just don't know how to keep introducing new things to keep him stimulated. It only works for a few minutes anyway, and then he's off looking bored again.

The one way I could think it might be considered cruel to keep them indoors, is that they never get to experience the joys of being outside. We would probably be safer and live longer too if we stayed indoors all the time - but would you want to? I don't think I would.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a fun way: every time you go grocery shopping, buy them some of those silly little toys in the pet aisle. This way they have a new toy every week or two, and even though it might seem like they're bored, you'll find them playing with it later on.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

The main challenge I see with some indoor cats is to keep them mentally stimulated. I hate to see my little guy laying around bored because he's seen it all here in the house and done it all. There's no way I'm letting him outside, I just don't know how to keep introducing new things to keep him stimulated. It only works for a few minutes anyway, and then he's off looking bored again.

The one way I could think it might be considered cruel to keep them indoors, is that they never get to experience the joys of being outside. We would probably be safer and live longer too if we stayed indoors all the time - but would you want to? I don't think I would.
You are so right. The cat we had growing up was indoor/outdoor and lived to be 19 years old. He did get hit by a car once and had a broken jaw. I can remember my mother waiting up for the cat to come home so she could go to bed. Let me tell you this was one happy, pampered, loving wonderful cat.

While there is no doubt that cats are safer inside, I think as an owner you have to provide them with much more stimulation. The outdoors is an exciting place for a cat to explore. Indoor cats need climbing trees, toys, and a lot of human contact to remain happy. This is all IMO.

enkeli-kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Misty8723 and meow meow, I agree with you guys.

Originally Posted by dusty0463

At least I don't have to lie in bed everynight wondering..."Is Maui going to come home?"
Your cat's called Maui? Cool! ^^ Maui is a legendary Maori god (or something like it), he's like the main guy in lots of Maori legend. He fished up New Zealand from his waka canoe!!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

The main challenge I see with some indoor cats is to keep them mentally stimulated.
I totally agree, but it can be done. I think rather than saying cats shouldn't be kept indoors, I'd say that some owners should not keep cats indoors. Some people just aren't able (or willing) to put the time and effort into keeping their indoor cats happy and stimulated. They are a more high maintenance pet than an outdoor cat.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For a long time, my cats were indoor cats only. Then my husband developed allergies to them. So they now live in the back yard, confined within a cat enclosure. Our backyard is fenced in. Our back porch door opens into the yard and I do let the cats on the porch which is screened in. They are as safe as we can provide for them, given the circumstances. We have what is called a cat fence in system which is attached to the chain link fence. I agree that cats are probably safer inside. But they can still be outside cats and reasonably safe within an enclosure. Cats are curious creatures and sometimes even indoor cats get into trouble. There are dangers inside, such as plants, cleaning products, exposure to things like chocolate and other items they could ingest. We just have to give them the best home possible, no matter if it is indoors or out.