Indoor Cat Escaped From Pet-sitter's

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I know that escaped cats tend to either try to get home, or hide near where they escaped from. But, when the escaped cat is in an indoor cat, and they escaped from a house 2km from their home, do they know which direction to go?

My neighbour's cat escaped from his cat sitter's small apartment building last night. I have searched the immediate area, the three lots/housing areas that are connected to the apartment.

No luck. So he's clearly "gone" somewhere. It's a dense area of suburbs, apartments on one side, and businesses (tall buildings) on the other.

Should I continue my search in the general direction of his home? Work my way out in concentric circles? Leave a trail of his litter for him to find and follow?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm terribly sorry your neighbor's cat escaped and is missing. :frown: Do you know if he's microchipped? Have you called any of the local shelters in your area, checked with others who live nearby or put up signs? Here is a thread which may be helpful in answering some of your questions:
I Lost My Cat, Help

Fingers crossed for a happy reunion.:crossfingers: Please keep us updated on your search.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your neighbour's cat. They must be so worried about him. Hopefully he'll be found soon. Here's a TCS article that might be helpful: Help! My Cat Is Lost!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually an indoor cat who has gotten outdoors will look for a place to hide -in bushes, under porches, under vehicles or in open garages close to the door they got out. Check every possible space surrounding the building and then neighboring buildings. Talk to neighbors if you can. You can also try a live trap with the cats favorite food in it.