Indoor cat desperately wants to get out.

oreoman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a male cat, neutered, who i've kept as an indoor pet for his entire life. He's gotten out a few times on accident but usually retrieved quickly.

Lately he's been really wanting to get out bad. When i come home from work he has his nose right up against the crack of the door waiting to bolt out when it opens. At night he will sit by the door and whine loudly...

What's going on? How can i curb this behavior and keep him happy as an indoor cat?

Thanks.

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't help much, but my cat does that too. Samba and Tubee want to get out always. We have enclosed porch, so that makes them a little happier, but they still want to get outside. My only advice is try to get his mind off of the outdoors, whenever he starts whining at the door play with him, give him a treat, pet him or do something else he likes.

Hope that helps.

Manda

lioness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that there is a female cat in heat outside near your house?

The only reason I ask is because it seems like he just really started wanting to get out all of a sudden.

If that's not the case, I would just really discourage him trying to get out. Maybe a firm no or if it gets really persistent, a spray bottle with some water.

Maybe increase some play time inside also to burn up some energy.

Just some suggestions. Hope it was helpful!

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be that he is seeing something outside that has caught his interest, like another cat or a bird.

I agree that if you play with him inside he will be less inclined to be so insistent about going outside. It will ease his boredom. He is probably looking out the window because he is bored and just needs something to work off his excitement at whatever he saw outdoors.

Good luck!

barblynnp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with what has been said. My cat Mickey is ALWAYS trying to get out and cries and cries at the door. Sometimes he does manage to "escape", especially when my kids open the door. I can usually catch him if I go after him right away.

Give him extra attention when he starts crying at the door and make sure there are plenty of toys around for him to play.

Also, maybe adopt another cat for him to play with.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have the option of putting up an enclosure (that maybe could even be accessed by a cat flap door)? Look on the net for them - there are some really imaginative ideas.

smokyandonyx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there

I have had two indoor cats now for 7 years, they are half British blues and adorable and most of the time they are both fine being indoors.  One of them named Smoky, however, get desperate usually as Spring come (i.e. Now) to get outside :-(

Did you get any good advice about how to deal with this, I don't want him to go out but I also don't like him meowing at the door or sitting by it for hours of his day during this time!

I do try and take his mind off it but am in the middle of my psychology degree and don't have the time to give him hours of attention.

Is there anything to keep him calm and take his mind of flying outside!

many thanks

smoky's owner :-)

2crazykittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have this problem too.
My boys have been wanting to get outside a lot since the warm weather has come around. They hang out by the door waiting for an opportunity to race outside. I live on the 12th floor of an apartment so of course I must make sure that if they should get out on the balcony it is kitty safe. I have a enclosed balcony so I am able to let them out when I am available to supervise, but since they have "tasted" what it's like to be out there they can't get enough.

If you do want to let your kitty outside, I would suggest either some kind of enclosure or "playpen" that has an open bottom and a top to it so kitty can be safe. A harness and a leash is a good start too if you can get your cat to wear it.  But be aware that once he gets out, he will always want to get out. That has been my experience anyway.

If you don't want to  let your cat outside then I would try what the other posters have suggested with some interactive play time or some way to deter the unwanted behavior with a firm "NO" or a spray bottle.