Increased spraying outside litter-box

TikkaBeer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are having an issue with our cat Rory where he keeps on spraying pee in inappropriate places with increasing frequency.

For context, he often sprays when using the litter box. He sometimes gets attacked by our other cat in the litter box, which most likely increases stress. However, this issue had mainly been confined to the litter boxes until recently, with only the occasional spray elsewhere. But for the past two weeks or so, he has started peeing almost every night in our back enclosed stairwell. The frequency seems to be increasing as the weather is getting nicer. We think maybe he's extra agitated these days because of the nice weather, because he wants to go outside. We used to let Rory out once a day on a supervised walk, but had to stop because he was walking too far/almost had a lily exposure incident. We are trying to make a concerted effort to play with him more, to relieve some of this stress.

Any advice on ways to address this issue? We try to clean the areas with enzyme spray and hydrogen peroxide but are unable to get all of the smell out. We've used the Feliway diffuser in the past, but it didn't seem to make a huge difference and there seems to be some design flaws with the plug-in overheating.

He was also just at the vet recently, and blood tests looked good, so we doubt it's a health issue. He did get his anal glands expressed during that visit.

The downstairs neighbor also has a cat, so it could be related to that, but they are usually not let out. It’s also possible that a feral cat is peeing on our building outside, but the first floor is somewhat elevated, so it's uncertain if Rory would notice this.

Any insight would be appreciated!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I presume Rory is neutered?

Any, or all, of what you have described could be the issue(s). Intimidation at the litter box, other animals outside that he can see/smell/sense even if you can't, leftover urine smells that entice him back to the same place(s), not getting to go outside as much, and/or calming products that don't work for him. It does seem that most of these could be tied to stress. There could even be some correlation with the anal glands as well, but working on the stress issue first is probably most logical.

Did they do a urinalysis?

Why can Rory get to things outside that he shouldn't if he is on supervised walks? If you can resolve that, it might be good to get him outside again. Changing up the situation where he can have the chance to go to the litter box without worry of intimidation is another thing to think through on how you might be able to resolve that. There are other calming products on the market, but they may be just as volatile when it comes to plugging them in. I don't know because I don't use them. Your biggest challenge is finding a way to keep other cats/critters away so that Rory cannot detect their presence on any level, assuming that has anything to do with his issue.

I am loading you up with TCS articles, not because I think they hold the answers to all of your issues, but they may be helpful in determining causes of his behavior and some possible options for resolution - maybe things you can even share here with clarifications. You may have already looked at some or all of them - sorry if you have.

Stress in Cats - The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite
Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (flutd) - TheCatSite
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis - How To Improve Your Cat's Quality Of Life - TheCatSite
Top 5 Litter Box Location Tips for Feline Bliss - TheCatSite
How Many Litterboxes Should You Have? - TheCatSite
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens - TheCatSite
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions - TheCatSite

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know from our suggestions what starts helping or not and we can help brainstorm more.
Can Rory go on a harness and leash walk instead? That may help.

Perhaps building a space with a microchip door for Rory's litter. Microchip ID Cat Feeder Box / Litter Station - MeowSpace®

you could also try reintroducing your cats if you haven't already.

another poster previously had a lot of luck with rubbing a towel on her cat and the rubbing the scent over the house where windows and doors etc are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TikkaBeer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for both of your replies. We will continue to provide updates as we try different things.

Yes, Rory is neutered. Unfortunately, they did not do a urinalysis during the recent visit, since we brought him in for a separate issue. Usually nothing abnormal has shown up on them in the past, even when he was spraying. But we will consider bringing him back for a test if the issue continues to worsen.

Walking him was difficult because he would find ways to evade us, such as by crawling under bushes or running quickly ahead. We did try a harness, but he once jumped onto a fence and got his harness stuck on it, so we worried that it would cause more danger than it prevented.

For now, we are allowing him to go in the back stairwell while we watch him. He’s been liking looking out the window, which is open but has a screen. He still tries to spray, tho, so we need to keep a close watch on him.

One thing you mentioned that jumped out at me is the potential for leftover smells causing him to return. We are still figuring out our cleaning routine for the area to get out the pee smell. The enzyme spray alone hasn’t worked, so we’re going to try more hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, as well as researcher other cleaners like in the links that were shared. As this continues to improve, we will see if this causes him to try peeing there less. Although he does have a habit of spraying in the litterboxes even after they've been deep-cleaned….

By the way, is there an easy way to tell if a cat is potentially prowling/peeing on the outside of our building, besides using a UV flashlight? Sometimes I notice our other cat sniffing the paneling/back door. I know Jackson Galaxy sometimes uses night vision cameras but that may be overkill for us.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
is there an easy way to tell if a cat is potentially prowling/peeing on the outside of our building,
Sometimes I'll see the telltale spray mark on our house siding from a cat, but if your building is brick it won't be as visible. If it's smooth concrete in the area a cat would be able to reach, you might be able to see that but I'm not sure.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since it is not your building, I am not sure, other than what was mentioned above, what you could do to prevent an outdoor cat from peeing on or around it.

Is the only window you have for him in the stairwell? I got confused as to whether him being let out into the stairwell and looking out a window were two separate things.

Keep looking into ideas as to how to let him have a way to use the litter box without fearing your other cat is going to attack him when he is using it. And, yes, keep us posted.