Inbred?

sassygirl_2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone on here ever owned or currently own an inbred cat? If so do they act differently than non-inbred cats? Are they naughtier? I am just curious becuase i have heard a couple different things about it. i also am not sure if my kitten is inbred or not so i was wondering if there are any traits that are shown in inbred cats that arent in non-inbred.

thanks

gomer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mom has two cats at her house that are the result of a direct littermate inbreeding. Both are 10 (I think) years old now.

I don't know if any of the traits I'm going to mention are due to the inbreeding or just odd cats things, but what the heck.

Marmy, the male, is very 'simple'. I know that's mean to say, but it's an undeniable truth. He is a sweet affectionate cat, but is not intelligent. He also had a lot of bowel problems and gets constipated quite often. My mom has spent a fortune on him at the vet. He eats a certain flavour of a certain food, certain amount of wet to dry, a certain amount of oil and water on it, etc, etc. The slightest variance and he's plugged up again.

Airbrush, the female, is super neurotic. She is afraid of everything, and if you make a move to pet her or pick her up, she'll run away. You have to let her come to you, then she is super affectionate. She has a leaky eye that has to be wiped often or it'll leave a sore on her face. She also will go to the bathroom on the floor at night. She uses the litterbox fine during the day, but at night won't, she'll pee behind the furnace and poop all over. So my mom puts her into a crate at night (actually, Airbrush asks to go into the crate, and will wait by the door until you let her in).

Both drool when you pet them. A lot. I only know one of the other kittens, and it's perfectly healthy, but also has some litterbox issues. She looks like a thick-bodied torti point siamese and can be very temperamental. But she is very smart.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it may be difficult to know about most moggies because many are strays or no one knows who the parents are. I'm not an expert, though. I know with some animals, too much inbreeding can cause health issues as we see with backyard breeders/kitten & puppy mills.Of course, the BYB and mills have other issues that impact health and personality. Guess this is my long-winded way of saying ... I don't know

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister has her MIL's boy Boris who is inbred for generations, he came from a house that had an unspayed female who had a litter, those kittens were never fixed and just kept breeding.

He acts just like a regular cat, but he is a bit deformed. His back is all hunched, back legs swing out to the sides when he walks, he can't really run. His feet are deformed and really small, he has only 6 or 7 claws in total which are really soft and some grow upside down.

But all that being said, he is a wonderful purry little boy who loves to snuggle. At 6 years old he is as healthy as a 'regular' cat.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plus whatever traits you may see in such cats (or people for that matter) may have nothing to do with inbreeding and just be who they'd be regardless of it. It's so easy to immediately point to that (or other known issues) as being the reason for all problems but genetically, even brother and sister coming together only have a small (less than 5 or so percent) chance of problems being due to 'inbreeding', though with animals, if different generations of the same family continue to do it, you will see higher numbers.

dont_eat_bambi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i think most of my cats might be inbred . hunny bun was an outside cat in the country that hung around my house and when I brought her home she was preggers and all of the kittens turned out to be gray and white ( some plain gray and most gray and white) but there was about 5 cats that she "hung" with and they all generally were gray and white.

My cats seem pretty normal. Playful and such. Pinky is a little small and fuzzy likes to push things down but aside from that they are normal. Fuzzys eyes are a little strange he constantly makes the black of his eyes come all the way open and it is a bit weird.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you'd have more physical problems (inside or out) in inbred cats. But the personality would not be affected.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My two foster boys are inbred. Punky is just "weird" in the way he moves, the way he acts. He & Dorian get along well as they both seem to act like a mentally handicapped person.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaz is inbred, her parents were siblings.
She's extremely lovey, but pretty normal.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a VERY edited version of an e-mail I sent to a friend of mine after we had to have our Lizzie put to sleep...her and her Sister Gracie were the product of much inbreeding:
It HAD to be edited because I don't want to offened the beliefs of the group of people who I refer to in the e-mail:

Lizzie, Gracie and Andy are the product of MUCH inbreeding.
When Sandy found their Mother she was so skinny that Sandy didn't even know she was pregnant.
She went to get her to take her to the Vet the day after she showed up at Sandy's front door and she had four kittens...one was dead and then there was Gracie, Lizzie and Andy.
Their Mother came to Sandy's door from down the road she was an ***** barn cat.
According to Dr. ******* these people get two cats...a male and a female and just put them in their barns to keep down rats and mice.
In most cases these cats NEVER see a Vet and they are NEVER spayed or neutered they're just left to breed over and over and over and over again.
So a kittens Mother could also be their Grandmother, Aunt, Sister and the same with the Father, could be Brother, Uncle, Grandfather.
The ***** take very good care of their farm animals and dogs IF they have one...but cats are nothing to them, I guess they figure if one dies there are about 100 others in the barn to take it's place.

Sandy kept their Mother and Brother.

It was apparent from the very beginning that Gracie just was not normal....at first I thought it was because she was cross eyed that she would seem to look at things and not see them, then I looked at her one day and her eyes were moving rapidly from side to side...turns out the she has neurological problems, breathing problems, the feline herpes virus, she's still the size of a kitten, never lost her kitten fur or kitten teeth and she can only hear certain tones...she can her human voices yet she can't her the fire whistle when it goes off, she doesn't hear rain or storms.
The only thing wrong with Lizzie was the breathing problems and the herpes virus.
The Brother and Mother have no problems at all.
That's why Gracie has always been the one that I worry about the most, she has so many more problems than Lizzie and why it was a shock when Lizzie had to be put to sleep and Gracie is as healthy as a horse...or at least as healthy as she can be.
The Vet told me that it's VERY common for cats that are the product of inbreeding to have a variety of health problems, some serious, some not so bad and in rare cases like Andy and his Mother no problems at all.

Up to this point it hadn't been anything major and medication took care of it quickly.

I edited out this part, because it goes into great detail about how Lizzie got so sick so fast and it's very sad and I don't want to read it again.

Gracie and Lizzie were never spayed...the Vet...actually three Vets ..that saw them wouldn't do the operation.
They told me that with the breathing and other problems they had the risk was just to great to put them under for any reason.
At first I thought about doing it anyway, but then the more I talked to the Vet the more I knew that the risk of one or both of them developing cancer was the least of the two risks...so they were never spayed.
Sandy had Andy neutered and Momma cat spayed and they breezed right though...remember they have NO health problems.

Edited a LOT here to, goes into Lizzie's death and my feelings about it.

* This isn't part of the e-mail, this is to the OP*

I guess what I'm trying to say is, that YES sometimes the signs are so obvious that you can't miss them.
Other times they may have minor things wrong that you wouldn't notice and that wouldn't cause the cat any major problems.
And sometimes they have no problems at all.

I don't think there is one trait that all inbred cats have, I think you just notice when something is off...like we did with Gracie.

Gracie is my little sweetie, she's so loving and so cute I don't care how inbred she is or how many problems she may have down the road I wouldn't give that dear little soul up for all the money in the world.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm convinced as pretty as Ceasar is that he is inbred. snoeshoe bobtail with extra toes, really really not to bright though, sweet but kinda brain dead sometimes, also is convinced the other cats are a bird or something. looks like a cabbit, his back end and legs plus bunny nub is very differently build then an average cat.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're right - he does look rabbity! Strange. I hope all goes well with Gracie in future.

snowfang

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Uriel is Inbred (daughter bred back to father)...
He's dumb as rocks, has no sense of balance, is a general whiner and regularly gets his fuzzy rump kicked by our six month old kitten.