Inappropriate Peeing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we were at my in-laws over the weekend (Friday night to Sunday afternoon) and we amazingly came home to a dry floor. It's also dry this morning.
It does look like she tried to pee on the front of the box (she did this with the old box) but since I cut the "door" so low it all ended up in the box anyway. I think I may have outsmarted her there.

Originally Posted by Cocoalily

By no means am I an expert, but if you think Frankie might be peeing because you shut the door, which is in turn because Wicket's waking you up during the night, maybe you could try confining Wicket to a room during the night? (The seperation anxiety problem might make it unbearable, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about him peeing on the floor.)

Just a thought.
If I confine Wickett he just sits there and cries the most pitiful cry. He has serious separation issues unless I let him come snuggle early in the night. I want to find a solution that works for everyone. I'd hate to "punish" Wickett for Frankie's bad behavior.

Laurie,
I've been using a mix of half cat attract and half regular stuff and it clumps well enough. I didn't know that they made an additive until I was reading Bea's thread. I may try that instead of mixing the litter.

I've been thinking about trying to find a behaviorist so I'm going to bookmarking that link.

I'm afraid that confining her to retrain her will only cause more problems. I mean, if she's peeing because she's shut out of a room she rarely uses then imaging how upset she'll be if I shut her into a room. She's NEVER been confined in the 10ish years that I've had her... never. It would really change her world.

The only reason I've avoided meds is because of how hard she is to pill. I'm at the point where if it continues (I'll try a behaviorist first) I'm going to talk to the vet about it at her next annual check up. Particularly if we get pregnant soon. I can't have a baby crawling around on pee covered floor. I know I'll have about 2 years before that's an issue but still. I even had a "chat" with Frankie about that when I changed the LB again a few weekends ago. She wasn't happy about the lecture but I do think she "gets" some of what I'm saying.

So, knock on wood, she's been really good the past 2 weeks. In fact, she's getting used to getting treats for peeing in the box. Last night I was making some veggie stock for the week and I hear her going potty. I asked her if she was being a good girl and when she came out of the box she waited in front of it for me to come give her treats. Works for me! Now I just need to work on brushing her teeth.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear things have been going better.

"Feline Greenies" received a GREAT review in being terrific treats for helping plaque (as opposed to any other treats for cats' teeth).

As to the teeth brushing, Spooky has a REALLY bad problem with her teeth. She's had a dental every year from age one, and we've brushed her teeth about 3 - 4x a week for the past 2 years - and she still had to have two teeth removed last year.

She LOVES being brushed, so we brushed her cheeks with the tooth brush first. It was simple to move from that to having her teeth brushed. She loves it now!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm begining to take this personally!

We left early Friday morning to visit my in-laws and for the Ohio Meet-up. I cleaned the litter box out completly Thursday and scooped before we left. She had NO "accidents" while we were out of town. She was also perfect last year when we were gone for a week for our wedding/honeymoon. She always acts happy to see us and often comes to bed with us our first night home (she doesn't ususally sleep with us) but almost inevitably, she will pee on the floor the first night too?! I was going to try and call a behavorist last week while I was on vacation but she was too. I guess at some point I'll have to take a personal day to do it or see if the woman does weekends.
I just don't get it... there is NO pattern.