Inactive And Not Eating

argetlam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My 4.5 year old male neutered cat (indian tabby - adopted) has been lethargic since day before. He’s a house cat proper. He’s usually a pretty active fellow. When I checked him I found a gash on his left cheek (check photo attached). His ears have not been warm so I don’t think he has fever. I thought he’ll get back to speed once the wound starts healing. But now i’m worried as he hasn’t eaten since yesterday night - it’s evening now in India. I can take him to the vet tomorrow as there is no vet available today. Is there an emergency? He’s generally lying down but when I set him on the floor he’s walking around normally before hitting the sack.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the not eating extends into two days a vet must be seen immediately. My cat had the same thing,and it's most likely one of two things, an abscess from a wound, or an abscess from a bad tooth. It is most likely sore, so he probably won't want you messing with his mouth, but a vet visit is the only way to know for sure. Once it had burst, like it looks like, an antibiotic is in order. Try to get a liquid you can put in a small amount of tuna juice, that helps. I have never had surgery done on my ferals or strays and they come through fine with an antibiotic. The surgeries I have had done on my house cats are always extensive and horrific looking, I really wonder if it is necessary.Go with the vet's advise.
For now lots of water is advised, you might thin some pate cat food down and see if he will lap it up. You have got to get something into him. Tuna or mackerel juice would be good, or chicken broth. Or even the broth off of canned food or in those little pouches which usually have a lot of gravy. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

argetlam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!! Managed to see a vet on emergency call. He had fever 104.5 Fahrenheit!
He’s not dehydrated so they gave him a bcomplex shot & a meloxicam shot. Only water till the temperature comes down it seems.
Will keep posting till he gets better.

Thanks