In our backyard

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryferals

Soooo funny Susie!!!

I think the bees were just looking for somewhere to build their hive,the tree branches weren't safe so they have gone to look for somewhere else.

I would check out your attic!!
Thank God we just had the LR ceiling repaired!!!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe

Weird. Maybe the bees saw this thread and got scared away.
Anyway, I'm glad they just left. Don't you wish other problems disappeared like that?
You bet! Absitively posalutely.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Huh, so your tree wasn't good enough for them, eh? Well maybe they decided to grace your neighbour's yard with their presence instead.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally how a new hive is formed is around the queen bee. I wonder if something happened to the queen as from my experience they usually wouldn't leave without some type of human intervention!!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Normally how a new hive is formed is around the queen bee. I wonder if something happened to the queen as from my experience they usually wouldn't leave without some type of human intervention!!
I was shocked that it was gone. Our neighbor said he didn't call anyone. Bizzare. Maybe there was a problem with the queen bee.
We live above a bar, but to my knowledge, the bar owner didn't even know about it yet, so I doubt he called anyone.
Do you think the bees realized that the branch wasn't very big and found a bigger one?
My other idea is pretty far fetched, but do you think its possible that they were African bees and just stopped over during their migration?

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those of you still interested...
Someone my DF knows told him that awhile back the same thing happened to him. He had a huge clump of bees in his yard and called an exterminator, but by the time he arrived, the bees were gone! The exterminator told him that it was a temporary home.

I did a little research and found this website:
http://www.pbase.com/ldkronos/honeybee_colony_migration
I only read the first few paragraphs. That MUST be what happened.

Whew. mystery solved.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man~that reminds me of last summer. We had one attached to our house~talk about icky.....we called in the beekeeper and he took them away, and havent had one since then(thank goodness) I hate *stinging* buzzy pests!!