In or Out?

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Squirrel and Panther are indoor only for several reasons; they've only been indoors or on a private balcony since 8 weeks, so they don't know the difference. Chilsa was indoor-outdoor...I kept him indoors at the old apartment, because I didn't feel it was safe, but I had to catch him when he tried to sneak out several times. I think he was raised as an indoor-outdoor cat before I got him, so it was REALLY hard for him to adapt to being indoor-only.

My advice: Save your kitty the stress of adapting later, and train him to be an indoor cat now. You do NOT want to have to chase him down when you're at college, trying to have him be indoor-only, and he runs out when you open the door to go take a midterm.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by optionken

I may get a lot of flack for this but I do not know that indoor cats live longer then indoor/outdoor cats, I know they live longer then strictly outdoor cats. Indoor/outdoor cats are less likely to sleep all the time and also less likely to be obese. Cats need stimulation.
In any event, I allow my cats free reign to go out whenever they want. They have to be inside before bed time and before I go away for more then 3 hours. They have been eaisly trained to come when called.
My thoughts are that there is nothing wrong with cats feeling grass on their feet and wind on their whiskers as well as expeiencing the smells.
I guess I am lucky because I have never had a cat not come back and all have lived reasonably long happy lives
Whatever you decide is right
Thank you, thank you, optionken for this. Growing up we always had indoor/outdoor cats, never had a litter box, and all were happy. One or two died by car accident, and those were heartbreaking. We also lost them in ways unrelated to their being outdoors, like being 21 years of age.

I moved into my own place, got 2 kittens, kept them in forever, and they didn't seem unhappy, but they didn't try to go out. The male sprayed all over the house, later the female peed and defecated all over the house.

They are now gone. We've taken in strays who insisted on going out, and taught indoor kitties how much fun going out is. There are 3 kids living here, and due to the nature of my childcare business, folks coming in and out much during the day. The door is always opening.

I brought in a feral older kitten last year. She has not stepped outside since that day. But she sniffs the other 2 cats to death when they come in - it's like she wants to live vicariously through them. I KNOW she's bored, and would probably truly enjoy the outdoors, but she's a scaredy, and doesn't even try. I will keep her in, and safe, but I feel sorry for her.

Like yours, mine have easily been trained to come when called, and I ensure that they're in at night. Dusty stays very close, Mickey hunts a little further away, but he comes when called (unless he's occupied with prey).

In my heart, I KNOW they are way safer inside. But Mickey would climb the walls. He has sprayed inside, and I'm sure it would escalate, especially due to the kitties who can't seem to stay out of our yard.

I realize we are in the minority on this site (and I LOVE this site!) for feeling this way, but like you said, they love the feel of grass under their feet, too. We don't have the resources to build an enclosure; my husband probably wouldn't anyway.

So, to the original poster: yeah, going to a dorm, you almost have no choice but to keep the little guy in. And I applaud you for it. Good luck in school!

hosman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally I had planned to have my new cat be indoors when I was at home and be outdoors when I was at work or away from home.What helped me decide to keep her as an indoor cat was:1)now that I`m super attatched to my new kitten I can`t bear the idea of her maybe getting hurt or killed... 2)the fact that she was a natural with the litterbox and uses it for urination and defacation... 3)(and was my biggest worry!) I`ve had virtually no allergic symptoms since my kitten has been living indoors.Funny,but the allergy thing was always what kept me from being a cat owner in the first place. I`m glad I took veteran members` advice and made my cat an indoors one.She`s surprised me with how well she`s adjusted and how comfortable she is in "her" new place.

I guess in the end it is up to the individual cat owner(an oxymoron?)and what works the best for his/her situation?