In Need Of Some New Kitten Advice!

Samantha Latek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So me and my girlfriend recently adopted a kitten this Saturday from a rescue event.
20170509_195838.jpg
20170508_224917.jpg
20170509_195838.jpg
20170508_224917.jpg
Her name is Princess and she a sweet little girl. But sence taking her home we have been worried about her. In order to get a good understanding of what's going on, I'll start from the beginning. Before we adopted her, her online profile said that she was 12 weeks old and spayed. She was spayed the Thursday before we adopted her and her scar seems to havr some kind of surgery glue all around it.

Saturday night: first night home
When we brought Princess home for the first night in our home for the first night nothing seemes out of the ordinary. We got the same type of litter and food that thr foster had and she was very playfull. But during the night she did have 2 pee accidents and did not eat her wet food. And she did cough from time to time. We were told by the fosters that she was on wet food and litter trained. I didn't see her behavior as abnormal on thr first night since we just took her home.

Sunday: Second day
When waking up we discovered some throw up in her litter. At first we weren't sure what it was and cleaned it up. Wr tryed to feed her some wet food but she was not having any of it. We tryed heating it, hand feeding, and even put some in her mouth but she would just spit it out. She did on occasion cough. Later in the afternood she threw up again some liquid and chunks. At this point she was lathargic and not wanting to play. We tried to feed her again but she ended up throwing up a couple tablespoons of bile. She was starting to go downhill and fast so we imidently took her to a pet hospital. There she was given fluids and an anti nasua medicine. When taking to the doctor there he estimated that she was reallu only 8 weeks old and was very small for her size. He also gave us some nutri cal to give her every 4 hours via syringe until we are able to see a vet. When we took her home she still did not want to eat, so we gave her nutri cal until we saw the vet thr next day. Sence the hospital visit there has been no throw up.

Monday: Third day
Mid afternoon we took princess to a very good vet in town. We found out that she weights 1.27 pounds. The vet told us that she was very young and small to be spayed, was underweight, believed to be just under 8 weeks old, is missing fur under her mouth meaning she was recently weened off milk, and may not even know how to eat. This was all very shocking. She also said that her spay scar is abnormal and lumpy. She gave us some antibiotics (she may have some sort of infection eather respiratory or from her spay scar)and pain medication (pain medication because the foster told us that she wasn't on any after her spay) to take home. She recommend that we syringe feed her nutri cal, milk, and wet food every 4 hours and pain medication with anti biotics ever 12 hours.

Tuesday: Day three
Sence the visit we have been seeing improvement in princess. This morning we found some poop stuck to the back of her but fur so we gave her a bath. She took to it well. She has also been peeing in the litter every so often. We are still sticking to the syringe feeding she she noe has more engery and is getting better at eating. She still will not eat wet food but she is starting to drink milk from a dish. Im just afraid that I am doing either to much or to little. I just don't want to lose her. Currently we are giving her royal canin baby cat instinctive wet food, kmr, and nutri cal along with her medication. Any recommendations for a high calorie wet food to help weight gain? Will she ever eat wet food on her own?? Is she going to fade away??? Also any other advice on how to get her to start eating on her own? Any helpful advice or comments are welcomed!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Samantha Latek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As far as medicine and vaccines before we adoptied her she has had revolution for flea and tick, felocell 4 feline fvrcp, and is negitive for kitty aids.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like you are doing everything just right! She sounds about 6 weeks old and you are right, probably not yet weaned to soft foods.

Continue what you are doing, and be patient with her. She will begin eating on her own soon. She just needs to feel better. Give her a few days. She will also gain weight as she feels better.

Thank you for taking such good care of her!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is probably a point and white. The white covering the face, and its why we dont see the usual masque on the face. She seems to be a seal point = black point, so the masque would otherwise be easy to see.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's beautiful X sorry her previous owners didn't seem too honest about her age or history. You absolutely did right taking her to the pet hospital and vet. Hope she continues to grow strong xx we adopted our kitten mojo at 9 weeks and he was the runt of a litter of 7! He was always trying to suckle at my fluffy jumpers bless him! If I'd known then what I know now, I would've got some KMR... He had lovely kitten food though and was already eating solids, He is a strong stocky boy now just over a year old You're doing great, she is beautiful xx

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a little beauty Princess is! You are doing everything just right at this point. Bless you for taking such good care of this little mite! And yes, she was WAY small for neutering. I'm just thrilled that she went to such a loving AND attentive home. I predict this little girl will soon be eating like a wee piggy, and will start growing like a weed!

I'm so glad you wound up here on TCS. I'm really looking forward to following Princess as she grows!