In need of some help with a timid cat...

munchkinmayhem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all~! Yesterday I brought home the newest addition to my family, Luna, a 6-month old brown mackerel munchkin cat. I got her from a breeder who decided she did not wish to use her in her program as she was switching up her goals. She was described as sweet and friendly. However upon bringing her home I found that she was the most fearful cat I've ever owned. I was able to pet her while in the crate, and she even purred and rolled around a bit for me. When I got home I set up a litterbox and water dish in a guest bedroom (to let her adjust before introducing her to the rest of the house and her housemates) and since then I haven't been able to get near her. I picked her up once and she hissed, spit, and scratched the heck out of me. I can sometimes stroke her for a moment or two before she bolts away. She's extremely skittish, won't take food from me, and doesn't come out of her hiding spot. It's extremely disheartening, primarily because I've never had this sort of experience with a cat before. I've lucked out and always had very friendly kitties. I certainly don't intend to give up on her, but I could really use some advice (and words of comfort) on how to begin the bonding process with Luna. I definitely don't want to force her to do anything she's uncomfortable with but, as I stated, I'm entirely new to this sort of situation so I'm not certain what's best to show her I mean no harm, earn her trust, and coax her into becoming a confident kitty.

lolcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well she's only been there for a day. You need to give her time to adjust not try to pick her up and leave her alone until she feels secure in her new home this takes about a week or even a month just need to give her time don't force her to love you if you want to interact with her sit down in the room until she comes to you, getting on her level helps her see you as less of a threat also feeding her the same food will make her more comfortable

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sorry this has happened.. it can be disconcerting, but there are things you can do.

Cats are so territorial and your new girl has suddenly found herself in a whole new situation.  It's great that you have given her a safe haven.  Can you spend time in there.. no expectations.. just time?  Take a book in.  And read to her
  It may sound odd, but your presence and gentle talking will help her get used to you.

You have probably provided her with toys, safe spots, comfy bedding etc.   In time you could just drag a toy on a string along the floor to see if she will engage in a game.

I would really recommend a Feliway diffuser in the room as well.

It may take a little time, but do things slowly and don't force the issue.  Remember, cats pick up on our stress and it can become a vicious cycle.

Keep us posted.