In need of more LB ideas!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

She walks in the litter, digs around....then goes over the edge.
Whatever the reason, I think this lady will be OK with her "issue".....but if you figure she lives around 10-15 years....how long will she put up with it is my concern?

She just used the LB. I *think* all the peed stayed in it.....she wasn't doing anything differently, I don't think....other than being 1" lower with her aim!
She is, however, standing/peeing, not squatting like normal. That right there is our issue.
Is it maybe arthritis that keeps her from squatting? Stan is a corner pee-er, he's done the best with Swheat Scoop. The only other thing I can think of that might be softer is play sand (which would get expensive and gross).

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you try some tall pieces of plastic around 3 sides to act like a shield? Make them a few inches taller then she is so that if she wants to stand and pee, she can't go over the sides. Put the plastic INSIDE the pan and the litter should hold it in place. If it doesn't - try a little duct tape on the outside of the pan to the back of the shield.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could you use a tall sided box and build a ramp up the sides to help her get inside?

I guess I didn't realize she's a stand up pee-er. I doubt you'll find anything that will ever stop her from doing that. Scarlett is 6 and has always done that. Thank heavens she's the smallest cat in the house and doesn't go over the sides.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My suggestions:
  • Use the high-sided rubbermaid with the entrance cut into it.
  • Set inside of a underbed storage type box (basically so if she misses, it's still easy to clean up.
  • edit to add: set doggy training pad where she normally misses so wet waste won't run underneath/between the boxes
  • For litter: tidy cats red (original formula) scoop, I think it's the multi-cat formula.
My cats are all front declawed, and when Raven was alive he was soooooo fussy about his litter. I about had a breakdown when Tidy Cats changed all of their formulas a few years ago. Raven was a lifelong tidy cats man--and I think it was the texture. The original formula is a very fine sand.
With the 20lb buckets you can open them and see.

Nabu is a wall pee-er, so I have to use rubbermaids or covered boxes unless I want to try and clean pee off the wall.
I know he can pee like a normal cat, I've seen him do it. But he seems to take great pleasure in hosing the wall of the box.

Also, my Mom has a cat with litter box issues. She didn't have great luck with Cat Attract either. She uses Tidy Cats scoop (red- orig. formula) and her cat uses the box ok. I think she uses that and Special Kitty scoop.

I started mixing Tidy Cats back in with our upstairs box. Someone doesn't like all WBCL all the time, and I didn't want to play litter box roulette.

I hope that helps a little.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, so here is her LB set-up. Pay no mind to the LB behind this one, or the urine soaked pad underneath. Waiting a bit until I can put the pad straight in the wash before I change it! Also haven't scooped so you can see where she pees.

OK, so I cut down the side on a regular, non-clear, rubbermaid tub & she won't use it. She'll use the clear sterilite tub, so long as I cut down the side.

However, she pees OVER the cut down edge.

Will pick up some Swheat after working, provided I'm not super sick by then. Hopefully that makes a difference...

Can I use cat attract additive with Swheat?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Can I use cat attract additive with Swheat?
well, it says you can't... but it says you should only use Precious Cat litter, too, & i'm using it w/exquisicat, so i'd think it'd be worth a try.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Would she use it if the side were cut up a bit higher? maybe she wouldn't be able to go over the edge then?
I tried that, raised the edge a bit by taping the chunk I cut off there. She can't climb in.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

OK, so I cut down the side on a regular, non-clear, rubbermaid tub & she won't use it. She'll use the clear sterilite tub, so long as I cut down the side.

However, she pees OVER the cut down edge.
I would still go with the cut down clear box, she probably likes that she can see anyone coming. From your other posts it sounds like she's not liking how many cats are around. So she's a bit nervous in the box. Hence she likes the visibility of the clear one.

I think if you can just figure out something to "catch" her overhang and missing, she will be just fine.
I was thinking a low sided plastic container (like a cement mixing tub) that you set the clear tall box in. But in front of the opening of the tall clear one- yet inside the cement/large low tub-- use disposable dog piddle pads. Then if she misses, it's already to go (in the trash). Plus it's not actually on the floor (rather in the cement or other large low sided tub), so it won't soak through. And that would be very easy for a potential adopter to deal with.

The piddle pads would also be relatively inexpensive for a potential adopter. You can buy large packs for a bargain at Wal-Mart.
I used them before I found out how great the tall sterilite tubs are. Even when I had covered boxes, the pee would go between the lid and bottom, then leak out. So I came up with this to save the carpet.

I can't really help with the Cat Attract additive...we've never used it. My Mom used it with Tidy Cats, but her cat went blind and had another cat picking on him...so I think those were the real reasons behind his litter box issues. I would *think* you could use it with Swheat Scoop since it's unscented.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I see - she turns around and pees outside.

Try cutting it down to that height, but only leaving space for her to walk in there - would only be a space about 4-5 inches in width - not the entire side.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about trying some of that Cat Attract litter? I've heard people rave about it! And some even just mix half and half with their regular litter. I put those plastic boot trays you used to see by everyones door, in front of my litter boxes. I've also been known to put cheap vinyl table cloths under the boxes when I've had kitties with overhang issues!

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use cat attract litter with Swheat litter.
My cat has had UTI issues and I was afraid she would potty
in other places, like my couch which she had a couple
accidents on when was feeling really bad. I usually just put some
attract litter on top. If you have a Pet Supply Plus nearby it is
on sale here this month till May something. I was never able to find
the additive locally so I just buy the small bag of cat attract litter
& mix on top.

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use cat attract litter with Swheat litter.
My cat has had UTI issues and I was afraid she would potty
in other places, like my couch which she had a couple
accidents on when was feeling really bad. I usually just put some
attract litter on top. If you have a Pet Supply Plus nearby it is
on sale here this month till May something. I was never able to find
the additive locally so I just buy the small bag of cat attract litter
& mix on top. OH, I would put a cup full on the other end of box
where you want her to potty.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK. Will she use a covered box? Because I just remembered seeing this box:

http://www.catsplay.com/bci_683805.php3

The steps walk up into a kidney-shaped area which is where the litter goes. But the trick with this one is that if she pees over the edge of the litter area, the pee would collect on the steps and just need paper towels to soak it up. ????????????

Laurie

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The people who had her for 2 weeks said she wouldn't use the covered box. From what I'm seeing here I doubt she would.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK. New idea.

A litter box inside a litter box. The inside one should have taller sides - but it sits inside a larger one with litter in it - but not enough around the edges for her to want to pee in the area of the first one - so it's litter would just catch the pee if she pees over the edge. ???

Laurie

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That confused me Laurie. I'm tired, and upset....so smaller words.

Right now, I've got the same LB as picture above, with a underbed storage tub under it. Problem is, the underbed storage tub is the same size as the other LB so it defeats the purpose.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know it's been a couple of weeks from hell for you Natalie. I just keep you and all the kitties and dogs in my prayers and send out vibes every time I think about you.

I was suggesting the set up you have. Only the underbed storage tub under the litter box would be larger, and there would be litter in the underbed storage tub to catch the pee that she pees over the edge of the actual litter box so it's easy to clean.

Did that make sense this time?

Laurie

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Makes sense....just have to find an underbed storage tub big enough....only one I've seen isn't wide enough.