In Need of Insight

kiondreengs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my moms boyfriend found three little abandoned kittens, two of which were stuck together via umbilical cord, which we solved, and the other is missing a back paw. At first we kept them in the area they were found, but momma didn’t come back after 4 or 5 days so now they’re home with us. I really don’t know what to do with the one missing a paw though. We plan on keeping them all and caring for them regardless but nothing i’ve read or researched has given me an answer as to what the next step is. They’re newborns, their eyes haven’t even opened yet and i’m really worried. Please help, any information is amazing to me.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley:Welcome to TCS! Bless you all for rescuing those tinies. The missing paw may be a congenital defect and not much concern but a vet check would give you ease of mind, especially if they need antibiotics.
Here are some instructional videos from Maddies Forums that, although for continuing education for veterinary professionals, include advice for the layperson rescuers. Kitten Lady has good ones too but many of us rural rescuers lack the amenities and funding. For nipples, I recommend Miracle Nipples and I keep powdered goat milk, Benebac plus/probiotics, olive oil, coconut oil, white Karo corn syrup and infants' gas drops (simethicone) on hand as well as store brand unflavored pedialyte. I keep plenty of rice-or-cornmeal socks handy to use for heat as well as a 4watt K&H heated pet pad. The nest environment should be 85°-93° F which I maintain by putting the babies on soft cloths in a small box set inside a towel-covered cat carrier set partly on the heated pet pad. The formula should be gently heated (not directly microwaved, put the bottle in hot water or simmer on stove) to 100°F. I use a cheap candy thermometer to measure the temperature & I keep the extra bottles warm by wrapping a heated rice-or-cornmeal sock around them and keep in a towel under my shirt. Sometimes plastic nipples cause sore gums so you can use a syringe without a needle or an eyedropper to feed. Most pharmacies will give or sell you a syringe very cheaply. I use the jumbo size cotton makeup pads to "change diapers" before and after feeding.
Critical Care of the Sick Neonatal Kitten

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBRAC&usg=AOvVaw3iTbKs0K3N0BHms9Q2d1TV

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There really isn't much to do at this point with the missing paw. You can call around and see if any vet will see them this young but even with that there still isn't much to do. When the kitten gets older you will need to see a vet. If the kitten keeps the nub leg off the ground, no worries. If the kitten uses the numb leg you may want to wrap it in a bandage to keep it from rubbing the end raw. The biggest risk is if the kitten runs with the nub leg it could cause arthritis or joint problems and just general pain later in life. Arthritis and joint problems by throwing off movement enough to impact joints. From what I've seen, kitten who have shorter numbs and don't run on them, there isn't much medically to do. They live their lives as happy little tripods. The ones that use their numbs though may have to have the limb cut shorter to prevent long term issues with that behavior. But it's the vets call based on what happens when the kitten gets older.

But overall tripod cats live just as fulfilling lives as cats with four legs. Cats aren't nearly as impacted by the loss of a limb as humans may be and your kitten will never know the difference. You probably won't even notice a difference once the kittens are moving.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are so kind to have stepped up for these kittens. You have your hands full, but the one with the missing paw may adjust more than you might expect. If so, there are members here with experience with special needs and handicapped pets who can give advice.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What and how often are you feeding them? Has the nub healed or does it appear there was never a paw there to begin with? As Kieka said, cats live well as tripods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiondreengs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we’ve gone and gotten them formula, and the nub actually looks like either a birth defect or actual physical damage. a vet is definitely the next step, i just wanted to make sure they were okay first.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I can't offer anything but heartfelt support. Worry about taking care of their basic needs, and put aside the worries about the baby with the missing back paw. You are by far more concerned about that than s/he is. Animals adapt to such things so much more easily than humans.:grouphug:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
yes. Re the missing backpaw. its an open wound, or is it "healed"?

anyways, kittens tends to heal suprisingly well. and three legged cats manage just fine, as long they dont have other deformicies. some are even good hunters althout tree legged.

kiondreengs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
okay, so they should be getting a vet visit today. i'm waiting on a friend to give me a ride, but my mom says that the nub seems infected, which means it probably has been since before we found them... is there anything anyone can tell me about that? they'll be seeing a vet anyways but it would really help ease my worry.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
okay, so they should be getting a vet visit today. i'm waiting on a friend to give me a ride, but my mom says that the nub seems infected, which means it probably has been since before we found them... is there anything anyone can tell me about that? they'll be seeing a vet anyways but it would really help ease my worry.
If it is infected, that points more to an injury. That the other two were tangled in their cord makes me think that it could be an accident during birth or shortly after. A Mom cat biting off a paw can happen if the Mom is trying to get off a tangled umbilical cord; Mom was probably young and scared but thats just supposition. The point is, while it doesn't happen all the time, it also isn't unheard of which. But if that is what happened an infection is probably from bacteria that got in the wound or infection from whatever else may have caused it. Infection makes injury more likely then birth defect.

Your vet will probably have more to say but that young you are probably looking at cleaning it and topical treatment.

kiondreengs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
that helps, thank you. I just want what's best for them because the way they came into the world seems harsh, and they don't deserve that. I'll let you know what the vet says after today, and hopefully everything goes well.

kiondreengs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is a helpful link for feeding:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Do let us know what the vet says!
also, thanks for this very much. it helped a decent bit, considering one of them has an issue with both a syringe and a bottle, but he works with my mom so the tips for her were pretty great.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
also, thanks for this very much. it helped a decent bit, considering one of them has an issue with both a syringe and a bottle, but he works with my mom so the tips for her were pretty great.
Observe, three legged cats manage just fine, as long as they dont have other deformicies. so dont even think about PTS, not unless the wound got really gorgy... But small kittens tend to heal surprisingly well if they are healthy otherwise.
Its not completely uncommon one of the paws goes selfamputated at birth or short thereafter. they often survive this even without treatment.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Observe, three legged cats manage just fine, as long as they dont have other deformicies. so dont even think about PTS, not unless the wound got really gorgy... But small kittens tend to heal surprisingly well if they are healthy otherwise.
Its not completely uncommon one of the paws goes selfamputated at birth or short thereafter. they often survive this even without treatment.
:yeah:

If the vet bring up PTS grab the kittens and walk out. If the kitten has good appetite the infection can still be treated, if there is an infection. You might have to call around more to find a vet who will treat young kittens but you are their advocate. A kitten who is fed, gaining weight and in a clean environment can overcome an amazing number of ailments.

Here are some tripod cats living their best three legged life, Pirate's Mama Chewed Off His Leg, But He's Still Whole | Catster
Kitsap Humane Society | All about tripod cats!
Three-legged cats | Advice on caring for cats | Cats Protection

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The leg wound can be cleaned, irrigated, and oral antibiotics administered. It should heal. It was probably mom who unfortunately gnawed it off when chewing cords. It’s happened before.

kiondreengs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sadly, i had to get him euthanized. the nub was infected and had apparently had maggots in it for the time he was with us and i’m really upset but it’s okay, it’s better than letting him suffer. thanks for all of your help though, it really means a lot that there are people who care enough to not only give feedback, but do so continually and offer more and more advice.

kiondreengs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
on a lighter note, the other two are doing okay. they’re starting to move around a lot more even though their eyes are closed. i’ll do my best to keep them in their best health.