In Memory Of A Little Tuxedo Kitty

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
For the past three years, a little tuxedo kitty has been visiting my front yard, attracted by the many bird feeders we have hanging there. I never encouraged her or tried to befriend her because my three would get upset when they could see her through the windows. But I'd watch for her and smile when I saw her, and I'd speak to her when I was outside. (I think she was a girl. She was on the small side and had fairly delicate features.) I don't know where she lived, but she looked well-fed and her fur was smooth and un-matted.

A few times last month, I saw her pass by and something didn't seem right. She was walking okay, but it was more like pacing. She'd pace down the sidewalk...and then a few minutes later, she'd pace back by the house. She didn't stop to watch the birds. She didn't look right or left. She just plodded by. "Odd," I thought, but I went on with my life.

A couple of weeks ago, I was coming home from my morning walk. I glanced down just as I came even with my next-door-neighbor's house, and there she was, lying in the street next to the curb. She was under the neighbor's car, but I don't believe she was hit. I think she had been sick for weeks, and she lay down and died. In the below-freezing cold. Alone. Her eyes were open, but she was gone. Her beautiful tuxedo coat was unmarked. But she was gone. I made my husband stay with her and ran to the house for a large towel. I hadn't been there for her when she was sick, but I couldn't abandon her now. We wrapped her gently in a towel and brought her into the garage. We found a place for her in the back yard later in the day.

I don't know where she lived--and don't want to know because I'd probably say something about letting a sick cat out to wander the neighborhood in frigid temps--but she became mine when she died. I feel so terrible that I didn't act when I thought something looked off with her. I'll never forgive myself. Little tuxedo kitty. I am so sorry.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Little Tux, dream you deep. You walk in more hearts now than you ever knew existed. Your life and your death had meaning, and you will never be forgotten.

Thank you.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear of this, tuxedos as you see are my favorite, but to hear this about any cat is sad. But you weren't really in a position to do anything, and you thought it was someone's cat since she looked so healthy and her coat was clean and nice, but I can see how it would be upsetting. Obviously had you known you would've done something, but you didn't know and the act of kindness that you and your husband showed were a wonderful tribute to her, she knew that she was in your heart and mind and she thanks you for it.

It is sad, but unfortunately we can't go back in time and change things, but if we could I KNOW that you would. You cared, and that is wonderful.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for the loss, I hope your hearts heal a bit more each day, God Bless you for caring.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I knew I could share my sadness here and you would understand. No one has posted anything in the neighborhood about missing her so I feel like the only mourning that will happen will take place here. Thank you all for caring. :grouphug:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did do something for her.
You were a friend of hers when she would visit your yard, you spoke nice words to her, and I'm sure she appreciated them.
And you were there at the end, when you found her and gave her the gift of a decent burial rather than letting her in the cold, like a bag of waste.
And she'll be with you forever, in your backyard, but mainly in your heart, where it's warm, at last.

RIP sweet Tuxedo, you were loved and you didn't know it.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so sad, but you have given her the final and dignified resting place, and not left to decay in the street. Thank you for this.

Do not feel bad. You did not know she was somehow being neglected.

I have always been fond of tuxedo cats. I used to feed one feral before. He was well fed by me, from the time he was a kitty. But I could not touch him as he'd panic if I did. Then suddenly he was gone. Until now I cry silently when I think of him.

Goodnight, sweet Tuxedo princess. You are free from pain now. Goodnight.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you can grow attached (and accidently adopt community cats.) Thank you for caring enough to notice something looked off and for burying her!
:rock:
Sick cats often hide and seek a place to be alone, to die. So please do not feel bad about where she died. Also in the future you will know to act quickly and catch a community cat if they are suddenly acting odd. However that was information you didn’t have at the time; so hopefully you will not blame yourself. In fact a cat hiding and her tail being down was what alerted me to the fact that one of my cats had been hit by a car!!!

From another perspective I would be heart broken if someone found my cat and just threw her away! It could be a kindness if you posted a notice on your mail box (with a picture if you have one) that you found her under a car and buried her. You may wind up never hearing anything or finding out a kid befriended a community cat and has been slipping her food.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was given a loving, dignified burial by someone who knew and cared for her, she is forever grateful for that. You will be blessed for your kindness and compassion.
Now she will be thought of, and prayed over by many, thanks to you. She will no longer suffer and feel alone. Her tiny spirit will forever wander the places she loved so much, a tiny part of her has melded with your heart. She will forever have a home with you.......take care, and thank you so much for helping her find a spot for her final rest.