In Loving Memory of My Mushpot

alexa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ComeresMom

I haven't been a member for long here, and posted back around Thanksgiving about some litterbox issues Comere was having. He was cured from peeing outside the litterbox for all the time since then, but he will not be peeing on my floor anytime again...

Comere, my wonderful, loving, affectionate and friendly mushpot passed away this week. On Sunday night he suddenly had blood in his mouth. Upon checking the litterbox we realized he hadn't used it at all in 24 hours. I checked with my daughter to see if she had fed the cat all weekend and she thought I had done it since his bowl was always full -- and still full -- he had not eaten since Friday.

We took him to the vet first thing Monday morning... he was extremely weak and lethargic. The vet could not determine what was going on immediately... they drew blood, gave him fluids and told me it could be anything from liver problems to a bad tooth... we'd wait for the blood test results. I took him home and got some of his favorite canned food to see if he would eat.

The poor thing was so hungry... he jumped to life when I put the canned food on a plate in front of him, but after attempting three bites gave up. He wasn't able to get the food down. He wouldn't drink any water either.

I talked with my daughter Monday when she got home from school and tried to prepare her (and myself) for the worst. He continued to get weaker and weaker... lying in my stepson's room where we had set everything up for him. He was too weak to get around, but dragged himself into my daughters room that night to sleep on the floor beside her. It was heartbreaking.

By Tuesday morning I knew we could not let him suffer any longer... regardless of the blood test results, unless it miraculously turned out to be a bad tooth, he'd have to be put to sleep. We took him back to the vet. He laid in my arms, mostly limp, though as we walked from the car into the vet's office he stretched his little face to sniff the air and squint into the sun...

The vet confirmed how serious it was. Comere was in acute kidney failure... they had never seen numbers so high. I was not thankful for his illness, but thankful for an easy decision. There was no choice but to put him to sleep.

I stayed with him, telling him how much I loved him and what a good boy he was. I talked to him the whole time. On the wall above the exam table was a quilted/embroidered picture of a husky -- Comere had temporarily, about 13 years ago, lived with my father for a year after I got divorced from my first husband and was in transition. He and my father's husky, Reilly, were buddies and would lay out in the sun together. My father and Reilly have since passed away, so it was a great comfort to see that wall hanging there... as if Reilly and my dad were waiting for Comere on the other side.

My mushpot -- he was just the most awesome cat. My first pet as a young adult, at 18... with me longer than my husband, my daughter, the house I live in... with me in my very first apartment and through many apartments and houses since... through a marraige and divorce and remarraige, through the birth of my child. Nearly 18 years at my side. I know I gave him a good life and he could not have been more loved.

I will get his ashes/cremains sometime next week... I have already ordered the most beautiful urn, sculpted as a curled up sleeping cat, to place in my office... in the sunny spot where he loved to lay while I worked. He can sleep now... forever in the sun with Reilly. I will miss him soooooo much...

There's been a very distinct lump missing from my bed this week...

Amy - I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful cat he was. I know just how you feel, having just lost my Charley after 19 years. This site has helped me a lot - the folks are so kind here - I hope it helps you too.

You are in my thoughts.

RIP Comere

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to thank everyone again for all your kind words. I picked up Comere's cremains last night and hopefully soon the urn I ordered will be coming. He'll sleep here in the sunny corner of my office forever...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Comere's Urn arrived today from Ashes in Stone -- I cannot say enough nice things about this company. They were compassionate and caring, and put every ounce of pride into the urns they create.

I placed Comere's cremains in the Urn and he will now truly nap forever in the sun...

Thanks everyone for your support... it means so much to me!

ciera23

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Amy-DHH

Comere's Urn arrived today from Ashes in Stone -- I cannot say enough nice things about this company. They were compassionate and caring, and put every ounce of pride into the urns they create.

I placed Comere's cremains in the Urn and he will now truly nap forever in the sun...

Thanks everyone for your support... it means so much to me!
I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
I know how hard this is on you. The urn is absolutely beautiful and wonderful way to remember him.

gizmoe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you. I know what it is to have a long time cat companion. My Moe will be 20 in October, and I am not looking forward to loosing her. The urn is a beautiful tribute to him. Keeping him close to you until you meet again at the bridge.

brians

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Amy-DHH,

I'm very sorry to hear about Comere. It is very difficult to lose a friend, companion, buddy and family member like Comere. I lost my Spydee a couple of weeks ago and it is difficult indeed. Looks like you picked out a beauiful urn for Comere and I'm sure is quite happy to be soaking up those sun rays.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
What a lovely urn - & such a beautiful remembrance for Comere. Hissy's message under his candle moved me to tears
what an wonderful way to phrase his passing.