In lots of pain, anyone help?

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK here's the lowdown. Over the last few days I've somehow acquired a painful rash on my right thigh. It started as just a mild irritation that I coudln't shift, but it's turned red and angry looking. Now, I know for a fact this isn't a fungal infection of any sort, because I'm very meticulous in my hygeine so, I figured that it was because I'd been wearing my long thermal underwear under my jeans and they'd been rubbing... or perhaps my washing powder hadn't totally rinsed out of some of my clothes. Not a worry, I re-washed everything and I stopped wearing the thermals (and boy I'm regretting that because it's damned cold). The rash hasn't gone - instead I've also gotten a rather painful swollen lymph gland in a rather inconvenient place
I'm wating to hear from my doc about getting an appointment, because I know it's going to have to be checked out. I'm not overly concerned because I'm fairly sure it's going to be something like a minor infection in the gland and the rash is bound to have some explaination like an allergy - that's what it feels like, anyway. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a way to cut back on the pain I'm feeling at the moment - the lymph gland in particular is the worst, it feels like a rock and I just want a little relief to be able to sleep a bit better
I've tried painkillers, but they don't seem to be strong enough and any stronger meds have to be gotten from the docs themselves.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hon, GET TO THE DOCTOR!!

Rashes are not good - despite whether they are caused by a skin irritation or an underlying internal infection. It very well may be nothing, as you say, but if it is getting worse, and is now painful, don't wait for your doctor - tell them it's important!!! You poor love,
keep us posted

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
don't think so... it's very localised, and in all other aspects I feel completely fine

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know they're booked up, but seriously, I work for a doctor, if it's something urgent, the doctor will fit you in. Even somewhere like where I work, where he's booked up three months in advance, he'll still see you if it's serious.

When I call my GP, who's always packed full, all I have to do is say `asthma' and I see him the same day. Good secretaries should know what is important and what can wait - have you explained to them what the problem is?

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah, but it's a bit tricky with the language barrier!
The receptionist was really nice though, apparenlty they only have one of their doctors in today (wednesday is half day here) so she told me to call again tomorrow morning and she'll put me straight through to a doctor to talk to and then I can arrange with the doctor when I can see them the same day.... it's better than nothing!

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
Could the rash be impetigo? Not sure if thats the correct spelling. I had this few years ago on my thigh and it wouldn't go away. I think I must have picked up the infection while swimming. It was very sore and I ended up at the doctors to get a dressing for it every few days and also strong cream. I even had to be tested for diabetes because I couldn't fight the infection.
I always thought it was something children got but obviously I was wrong...

evnshawn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yup, you definitely need to see a doctor. In the meantime, though, you could try 800 mg of ibuprofen (that's four regular 200 mg tablets) to cut down on the inflammation. Only take that every eight hours, though. And it won't reduce the inflammation at the regular "headache" dosage of 400 mg. It has to be 800 mg for inflammation.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there's no such thing as a walk in clinic here.... you pretty much have to be walking in with severed limbs and at death's door if you want to do that!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by evnshawn

Yup, you definitely need to see a doctor. In the meantime, though, you could try 800 mg of ibuprofen (that's four regular 200 mg tablets) to cut down on the inflammation. Only take that every eight hours, though. And it won't reduce the inflammation at the regular "headache" dosage of 400 mg. It has to be 800 mg for inflammation.
I hope this doesnt get her so drowsy that she has to sleep

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you think this may be a bartholin's cyst, you can try warm baths and warm packing it, and hopefully you can get it to begin to resolve. The hard swelling at the least sounds like an abcess - even if this isn't a bartholin's cyst, and warm soaks should help. My bet is though that yes, you will need antibiotics as well.

I do hope you can speak to a dr and get seen in the next day or so!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what you have. DH had shingles a few yrs ago but his was around his waist and really painful!!! Then blisters came a few days later.
Can you wear looser fitting clothing. Would a cool compress help??

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking an ice pack might help, too. Maybe a warm soak followed by an ice pack?!? And no matter how clean you are, you can get a yeast infection. Our bodies have a balance of "fauna and flora", and the yeast infection is just a sign that there is some imbalance. Maybe you can look up rashes on line to see if you can identify it?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am more concerned with what may be an abcess...for that, heat only. Best of course, get to a doctor....which I know you are trying to do. Please keep us posted.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

I hope this doesnt get her so drowsy that she has to sleep
It won't! I take 3 at a time regularly and for bed I take 3 Aleve! Pain is pain and sometimes you need something STRONG for it!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was thinking cyst, too. I've had a few of those and had to have them lanced and drained. In the meantime, hot soaks are best.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shingles was my first thought too. Is the rash in a "patch" or a "line"? The lymph node in the groin is swelling (IMO) because there is some sort of infection going on, and that's where the "recruits" are coming from. I've had swollen lymph nodes there from a "regular" yeast infection, so it can be from any type of infection. But if there is really bad pain or streaks leading from the area, that is an emergency, and you need to get to a doctor PDQ!