In Lieu Of An Electrical Outlet, What's My Best Option?

yoonbum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going to be buying two Kitty Tubes (The Kitty Tube Generation 3 – with Straw Only | Free Shipping) for my outside buddies and I want to put some heating pads in there for them too (K&H Pet Products Extreme Weather Kitty Pad & Fleece Cover) but the problem is that I don't have any electrical outlets outside: I could run some extension cords from inside but that would probably mean that I wouldn't be able to fully close my door/window (depending on how I set everything up) and if there's a better alternative I would really prefer that. I did see someone suggest a solar generator and I'm thinking of getting a Goal Zero Yeti 150 for each house (I'll be setting up a third house in my storage shed too, it's not a Kitty Tube just one made from Rubbermaid bins with straw insulation that I made last winter but nobody liked so I'm hoping the heating pad will convince them otherwise) but I'm worried that maybe they won't be compatible with the heating pads or that I would need to recharge them every few hours so I'm wondering if anyone has tried doing something like this? Or if anyone has found any alternative solutions?

Thanks so much everyone!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!Bless your heart for doing this!
Would you consider beds that warm up with the animals body heat? Like this;

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yoonbum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!Bless your heart for doing this!
Would you consider beds that warm up with the animals body heat? Like this;
I might just have to. But I'm really hoping for the heating pads because I think that's what will most entice them to use their little houses. Last year, I made a couple of houses for them and they weren't big fans even when it rained so I'm hoping that the upgrade in houses along with a heating pad will win them over. And this year, it's predicted we're gonna have a cold and wet winter so I want to make super sure they have somewhere warm and comfy to hang out and take a rest: it'll give me peace of mind and since this year, fortune has smiled upon us and we're better off financially, I would love to spoil them a little too.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can get microwave heat discs that you warm up each night. In cool weather they work well. In very cold weather ( under 20 F) they only last a few hours. I used them for 2 winters in Ohio. They did ok. They make the straw warm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yoonbum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can get microwave heat discs that you warm up each night. In cool weather they work well. In very cold weather ( under 20 F) they only last a few hours. I used them for 2 winters in Ohio. They did ok. They make the straw warm.

I would love to have something that stayed continually heated at a steady temperature and lasted for a long time but given that I live in El Paso where our winters aren't nearly as harsh as they are in the Midwest, this might work for me. Maybe I'll get a few so I can switch them out more frequently. I think maybe what I'll do is get some of these discs and get one heated pad with one of those generators so I can test it out and then post "my findings" later on for other people who might want to do something like this so they know if this works or not.

Thank you so much everyone for your advice!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, I bet the microwave discs would work so well in Texas. The year we had a mild winter in Ohio, they worked quite well. I used to heat them for 5 minutes then put a light weight baby blanket over them. My boys loved them. When I moved to using heat pads (since I did have electric outlets outside), I used the heat discs to put their wet food bowls on in the winter. It kept the food from freezing on bitter cold days.

I would love to hear your findings so do report back.

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you post your update elsewhere . . . ?

Anyway, I wanted to suggest using mylar to reflect their own body heat.
I'm planning on outfitting my outdoor cat's winter beds with that,
in addition to effective insulation, & pillows or Timothy hay-straw.
You *don't* want them coming in contact with it, as I read it can be toxic,
especially once it begins to disintegrate & little pieces can get on their coats
which they'll more than likely lick off & swallow.

I've a mylar blanket myself in unheated situations, with a sheet & blanket over it to keep the cold from coming through, and found it most warming! I've had trouble with cold feet that won't warm up in bed, unless mylar is over me.
(I buy extra strong / heavy duty mylar (instead of single use mylar),
1 sheet of which lasted through the winter on my bed, bought 6 together for $2 each.)

I hope you & your feline friends are doing well! (:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a kitty tube. I cut a second entrance in mine. Other animals like possums and other cats may go in and having a second entrance gives them a way to escape instead of having to fight. To keep rain from getting in the second entrance I took a big plastic lid and glued it over the hole I cut out using a dremel tool.

I'm in Houston. I didn't give my colony any special heating during the winter, but if they are well fed and healthy they seem to survive the cold here. Of course it would be nicer to have a way to keep them warm.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I used microwave heating discs and pads, but I am in So Cal, so that makes a difference to the temperature.

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have used the microwave discs in Ohio too and they lasted about 4 hours until they would cool down. I always used something over the top of them, because heating them for 5 minutes in the microwave, like I did, made them very warm to the touch. The well-folded towel or blankets over the top, stayed warm too, and insulated the disc a bit, while protecting the kitty from being injured from the heat of it. You can still use straw over top of all that. I too, had a few of them, to switch them out on cold days and nights! Good luck with this! (Oh, and I too used them to keep the food/water bowls warmer, for longer! They were great for that too!!!) Good Luck!