In house vet visits

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I came across a few websites for vets who actually make house calls, which looked interesting. I have a couple of cats that are overweight and I don’t know how I’d be able to get them in a carrier not to mention how to carry them into the vet office to have blood work done so I’m wondering if anybody out there had any experience with having a vet come to your house especially in the eastern Massachusetts area

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use a mobile vet for the cats. I love it. I can't comment on the area you're in, but here in Ohio it's not much more expensive than an office visit and my cats seem a lot less stressed. I usually take my cats to the van, but I know this vet will do anything (except for surgery, X-rays, etc.) right in your home.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm in Colorado, but regarding the experience, we were even able to draw blood for tests. If the vet is on his own and you're not up for holding your cat during the blood draw (--I'm not absolutely sure I could do it again, but Poppycat needed it and a drive to the vet clinic wasn't a good option at that point), ... some mobile vets have assistants that attend the visit, as I understand it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be clear on how much they charge to come out and if it's separate from the what they do charges. One vet where I live charges $20 to come out another charges $200. Yes, you read that right. Don't assume, ask.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response…their website actually posted the cost of different services which didn’t seem bad, especially not having to tackle getting my big boy in a crate and trying to carry him out.. I think it would be well worth the cost, I always get stressed out the night before thinking how I’m gonna get a cat in a carrier to bring them to the vet. I had to bring another cat to the vet a few weeks ago and I was so stressed but thank God when it was time she was sleeping and I caught her off guard. I have a carrier already to put her in.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for your response…their website actually posted the cost of different services which didn’t seem bad, especially not having to tackle getting my big boy in a crate and trying to carry him out.. I think it would be well worth the cost, I always get stressed out the night before thinking how I’m gonna get a cat in a carrier to bring them to the vet. I had to bring another cat to the vet a few weeks ago and I was so stressed but thank God when it was time she was sleeping and I caught her off guard. I have a carrier already to put her in.
If it's possible, make a "wellness visit" appointment, just for a very basic check up so you can talk with the vet a bit and get a feel for it you think you can work with them. If a problem should come up, it's very relieving to know that you already have a vet you trust and feel confident in vs. going in blindly with a stranger.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update on finding a vet who makes house calls….
first one I called actually called me back to let me know she doesn’t come to my area but gave me the name of another vet who might….
called that vet and left a message with my question of area she services and my phone number…no call back, waited a few days. Called back, left another message..no call back…suppose to be a professional so how long would it take to make a call back to let me know if they make or don’t make calls in my area?
I think it’s just common courtesy..
Someone gave me number of another vet but when I called, their closed for a week so I have to call again in a few days..
So far not having much luck..😒