In heat <ugh>

tuesmall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so my girlfriend and i got our third cat a while ago < all females> and she hasnt been fixed yet do to money constraints. She has gone into heat <which we expected of course>, but its like almost every two weeks.....and it seems like the duration keeps getting longer! Is it normal for her to be in heat for almost a week and a half? it seems as soon as she is out of heat 4 days later she is back in heat! I have had to put her in our second bedroom for about 2 hours a day just to escape the constant meowing <which yes we did expect but yeesh!> So 1.Is it normal for a cat to be in heat for so long 2.Is putting a kitty in isolation for a few hours a day while this is going on a bad thing? < i feel horrible but we can only handle so much...she literally meows for hours on end!>

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
iirc, heats can go for up to ~10 days. With barely any break in between it's going to seem like it's never ending for you guys - and her, too.

Confining her isn't exactly doing her any harm, but she'll be awfully confused and make take it as a type of punishment.

All you can do is get her spay and do so ASAP. If you really can't afford a full priced spay try to find a low cost spay and neuter clinic/mobile clinic within your area. You may have to drive a little ways, though.
Others on here could probably help if you're willing to share where you are - city and state.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats cycle quickly from one time the next. And because she is cycling so frequently, she is at greater risk for getting pyrometra (infection of the uterus).

So do what you need to do to spay her quickly. If your vet won't spay while in heat, find one that will - it will cost extra, but the sooner you do it the better everyone will be!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tuesmall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your replies! ya we are gonna have to find the cash to do it because its driving us crazy LOL as well as our other 2 cats as they get grumpy every time she goes into heat.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please read this:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203204

This is where you can find low cost spay/neuter clinics in your area.

Not only is frequent heat an annoyance to you, but it is unfair to your cat. Being in continual heat is like being in a constant state of sexual arousal with no way of satisfying it. Also cats that are not "fixed" do not live as long and are not as healthy as neutered animals of both sexes.

Please do your kitty a favor, skip a dinner out, and get her spayed asap!

tuesmall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ahhhh thanks
as for being unfair...if it was a matter of not eating out all the time then yes i would agree with you that i was being selfish....as it is i am unemployed at the moment do to slow construction in my area with only one source of income to sustain us AND the cats....and we would rather eat year old meat found at the bottom of the deep freeze than let our cats go without food or clean litter.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ So is the household surviving on less than a gross of $33-35K per year? Some low cost spay and neuter programs require that you have proof of that.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tuesmall

ahhhh thanks
as for being unfair...if it was a matter of not eating out all the time then yes i would agree with you that i was being selfish....as it is i am unemployed at the moment do to slow construction in my area with only one source of income to sustain us AND the cats....and we would rather eat year old meat found at the bottom of the deep freeze than let our cats go without food or clean litter.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound harsh. I guess I'm just used to hearing people use the "I can't afford it" excuse while they continue to indulge in their smoking, booze, or eating out addictions. Also most don't know that there are usually low cost clinics available, and sometimes they are even free if you meet the income requirements.

Please accept my apology for my assumption.

tuesmall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thats ok
i understand where you are coming from
It was mostly frusturation on my end hehe. Most people do use the " i dont have money" excuse yet they are eating out and drinking etc so i really cant blame you for assuming. Either way thanks for the apology i do appreciate everyones input on these forums as they usually calm alot of my fears with cat problems that pop up!