In heat female cat, causing my male to go crazy?

meowkittymeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an almost 2 year old neutered male cat named Anders who is an indoor only. Recently, we have a black cat that always comes around when she is in heat (she had kittens on the side of our shed about 2 months ago), last time she was around, Anders escaped the house and I thought I lost him forever (I cried for a week after he didn't come home for a couple of day), I finally found him a couple streets down and brought him home. He was skittish, scared, had some scratches (like he was in a fight) and skinny. Luckily with some TLC, a vet check and food he is back to his normal self.  

Well, the female cat is back and keeps coming into our yard and howling. Anders flips out, I caught him clawing at the screen and he does this weird meow when she is around. My female kitten Morrissey is also acting a little weird now that this other cat is around. The other cat looks well taken care of. She is long haired and looks like she gets groomed often and well fed. 

It really annoys me that my cats act like lunatics when she is around... I thought that having him neutered would make it so this didn't happen (he was neutered when he was 4 months). I have tried to catch the other cat but of course, she takes off as soon as she sees me coming. 

Any ideas how I can stop my cat from acting a fool? Or getting this cat to not come around? Why has she picked MY house? Maybe this is more of a vent and I know deep down I just have to deal with it.

lolcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats hate smell of citrus, so orange, lemon or grapefruit peels scattered around outside the house might deter it Coffee grounds, too, give off an odor cats find unpleasant or, use a spray bottle when it comes she'll find it unattractive for her and its random for neutered cats to respond to cats in the heat or not, probably picked your home because you have a male cat there urging and your female cat  hates other females its natural thing she wants to be the dominant female hope this helped :]

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I take it you don't know who the female belongs to only that she looks well cared for?  I would be very tempted to borrow a humane trap from a TNR group, trap her and get her spayed.  I think legally you would be in the clear as long as you trapped her on your property but I would check with the TNR group to be sure.

emandjee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd do everything I could so that my yard is unwelcome to any stray cats.

Firstly, I'd see if there's some plants I could buy that deters cats from coming on my property. Rue, pennyroyal, and lavender are some that you could buy and plant them in areas where your resident kitties see this "stray" cat. I'd strategically plant them near windows they frequently use to look out of, specifically.

Another thing you could buy are Scarecrow sprinklers, which are motion activated, so even if you aren't home or sleeping at night, it will work by soaking the intruder! Again, place them near windows or sliding glass doors, etc. 

In the meantime, I'd try buying a couple of calming diffusers like Feliway and put them where your two resident cats hang out most. A calming cat collar may also work, as would calming treats, Rescue Remedy, etc. In times you're not home, I'd try to close off as much areas which would be prone to attempts of escape. Make sure Anders and Morrissey are microchipped and wears ID collars in case there is a break-out again!

Hopefully you can find a peaceful resolution soon. Sending calming vibes to all.

Please keep us posted to tell us how things go.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

I take it you don't know who the female belongs to only that she looks well cared for?  I would be very tempted to borrow a humane trap from a TNR group, trap her and get her spayed.  I think legally you would be in the clear as long as you trapped her on your property but I would check with the TNR group to be sure.
I'm absolutely with Denice on this one.  If, as seems likely, this cat does not have a regular home and is constantly having kittens, she really needs to be spayed and if possible taken in by a rescue group for potential adoption.  

Is there a group that does any kind of TNR (trap, neuter, release) in your area?  I know it seems like a lot of trouble, but it would certainly solve your problem, and stop a whole cycle of homeless kitties.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowkittymeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We do have a TNR program and I looked into.. However since we are rural, I have to rent a trap from the humane society and they want $75. Which really angers me, I do not just have an extra $75 laying around to trap a cat, then the money it would cost me in gas to drive up north (about 2 1/2 hours) to get to the program. I do not want to sound heartless, I just do not have the money. If I did, I would do it in a heartbeat. Maybe I will ask around and ask if anyone else has a trap I can borrow, the driving is not a big deal. 

My lab chased her off yesterday, but I try not to encourage that from her because I do not want her chasing my cats.

emandjee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Perhaps you can ask some neighbors if they've also been seeing this black female cat in heat, and see if they had some sleepless nights or garden attacks, etc and are willing to chip in for the cost of trapping if you can't find a neighbor with a trap? Perhaps someone may also know who this kitty truly belongs to and will put some pressure if the community gathers to have this kitty spayed? I'm sure no one wants more stray litters in their area either. Cats can multiply too quickly!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is a list of Low/Cost clinics http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html Most TNR organizations in my area are only $35.00 per feral cat. I am sorry that in your rural area the cost is more. :( It takes a bit of phone work but if you start to make calls most of these places will direct you to another if they can't help you. They want to help control the feral cats in the area. :nod:

The best thing, as you know, would be to trap this cat and get her spayed. That way she will stop coming around for breeding, howling and carrying on... then have kittens under your shed. Your indoor cat can smell this cat in heat. So getting her spayed is the first option I would make but since you cannot afford to do so and the TNR organization doesn't seem to want to come out and help trap the cat, then you can add these out in your yard so she will soon learn to stay away and not come back. The thing is by the time you spend the money for these, you could have gotten her spayed. These air sprayers DO work for stray cats and wild animals that you want to keep away from your windows and yard.

Orange oil spray is another and much cheaper but you have to spray daily around the shed and the yard.

Before you do any of the above, please make sure she does not have kittens under that shed. Please. If you go and look with a flashlight, you still may not see or hear the kittens. They will know to be extremely silent and frozen in place when you approach.

Also, after she has gone. Make sure you block off all around your shed so she cannot get underneath the shed anymore. Of course, I prefer to have her trapped and fixed - that is my goal in life to help diminish the feral cat population but I understand that it is just too much for some people. And, that is alright. I imagine you are not feeding her, of course. So it should be easy to get her to stay out of your yard for good thus restoring peace for your indoor male cat.

p.s. You lab will know the difference between the indoor family pet cats as opposed to the outdoor stray cats. He won't start chasing your indoor cats. He may be key in helping to keep her away.

Last edited:

meowkittymeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I found a friend with a trap. 

She has never had kittens under the shed, that is all closed off as well as under the house, she had them on the side of it under a pile of wood. We have since moved the pile after the last litter.

The actual cost to have the cat spayed is $10, which is not that big of a deal. Though, I will not lie, this really annoys me that I am having to pay to spay cats that are not mine (mine are always fixed), take time off work and drive almost 3 hours, all because people around here are to lazy and just do not care about their cats. The only reason I do it is because it is not the cats fault, nor is it the kittens that she brings into this worlds fault. This whole situation bothers me. Until I moved to this little town, I have never seen people not give a care about their animals so blatantly. 

Another question, while she may be a stray or someone left her behind etc. What if she DOES belong to someone? When I talked to the TNR they said as long as I'm as sure as I can be that she does not have an owner I SHOULD be okay. They said that if it seems like she is cared for it might be better for me to catch her and bring her into the local shelter. I really do not want to do that, because I'd feel bad if she ended up dead because of me :( What would you guys do?

As for my lab, she is already obsessive about my cats and is always trying to bug/chase them. I do not want her chasing ANY cats, until she is 100% trained.

Thanks for all the information :) Hopefully I can get her trapped soon..

Last edited:

meowkittymeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, I'm sorry if I am coming off negative. I've just had to re-home more kittens then I have liked to because of strays and other peoples cats having kittens under my house (until we were able to get it close off, we had 2 cats have a litter under it) and I'm starting to get annoyed with the people who do not take responsibility.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The actual cost to have the cat spayed is $10, which is not that big of a deal. Though, I will not lie, this really annoys me that I am having to pay to spay cats that are not mine (mine are always fixed), take time off work and drive almost 3 hours, all because people around here are to lazy and just do not care about their cats. The only reason I do it is because it is not the cats fault, nor is it the kittens that she brings into this worlds fault. This whole situation bothers me. Until I moved to this little town, I have never seen people not give a care about their animals so blatantly. 

Another question, while she may be a stray or someone left her behind etc. What if she DOES belong to someone? When I talked to the TNR they said as long as I'm as sure as I can be that she does not have an owner I SHOULD be okay. They said that if it seems like she is cared for it might be better for me to catch her and bring her into the local shelter. I really do not want to do that, because I'd feel bad if she ended up dead because of me :( What would you guys do?

Also, I'm sorry if I am coming off negative. I've just had to re-home more kittens then I have liked to because of strays and other peoples cats having kittens under my house (until we were able to get it close off, we had 2 cats have a litter under it) and I'm starting to get annoyed with the people who do not take responsibility.
OH please - NO apology needed. Actually, the way you describe it above is exactly the same way most of feel around here. It totally blows our minds that we have to continue to do for these poor cats what the irresponsible owners should have done in the first place. Yes, very, very upsetting, expensive and frustrating. :frusty: It is just what needs to be done and I do it for the cats too and try not to expel negative energy thinking about the "you know what's" who don't give a hoot. It is a battle that continues on day in and day out. So thank you for any help you can give. We appreciate it. :hugs: :hugs: :bigthumb:

And - hun - just get her spayed and that is extremely cheap !! How wonderful is that. As far as you know, this cat IS uncared for, unloved and having TOO many kittens. A very sad life for this cat. Being spayed, then she can just concentrate on caring for herself. No more mating, no more births gone wrong, no more pain/suffering with hormones. My goodness, the list goes on. I have volunteered for a TNR group for many, many years. If a cat is out there in the wild having kittens, they need to be spayed. We don't even think twice about them possibly having an owner. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
OH please - NO apology needed. Actually, the way you describe it above is exactly the same way most of feel around here. It totally blows our minds that we have to continue to do for these poor cats what the irresponsible owners should have done in the first place. Yes, very, very upsetting, expensive and frustrating.
It is just what needs to be done and I do it for the cats too and try not to expel negative energy thinking about the "you know what's" who don't give a hoot. It is a battle that continues on day in and day out. So thank you for any help you can give. We appreciate it.

And - hun - just get her spayed and that is extremely cheap !! How wonderful is that. As far as you know, this cat IS uncared for, unloved and having TOO many kittens. A very sad life for this cat. Being spayed, then she can just concentrate on caring for herself. No more mating, no more births gone wrong, no more pain/suffering with hormones. My goodness, the list goes on. I have volunteered for a TNR group for many, many years. If a cat is out there in the wild having kittens, they need to be spayed. We don't even think twice about them possibly having an owner.

meowkittymeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We got a trap! I am going to try to trap her tonight.

Another question I have, when we catch her.. what do I do with her? Do I keep her in the cage until it's time to go up north? If we catch her tonight, we should be able to get up north in the morning. If it is another day I work, I may not be able to bring her until the next day. That seems like a long time for a cat to stay in a cage. 

I do have a rather large dog kennel, maybe i could put her in that with a small litter box?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it will probably depend on whether she is truly feral.  If she's feral you won't be able to handle her so you will need to leave her in the cage.  She will need to be separated from your other kitties, someplace quiet to make it as easy on her as possible.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, if she is a feral cat then she will be extremely fierce and wild once in the trap. Cover immediately with a towel. My trap opens at both ends and I buy one of those disposable Tidy Cats litter pans at the grocery store for a few bucks. It fits perfectly in a trap. I slide it in one end. The other end I slide in a bowl of food/water until such time you are able to get them to the vet. Keep the trap covered completely with a towel as this will calm the kitty immensely once she settles and knows she can't get out. She will be quiet as a mouse then.

If she seems a bit friendly, then I will put the trap inside a large wire dog kennel and tie up the door. Also inside the wire dog crate I have the same litter box, food and water. WHEN you are ready to take her to the vet, use a yardstick gently to persuade her back inside the trap and then shut the trap door for easy transport to the vet. NOW if she is really friendly, then you can put a carrier inside the large wire dog crate and persuade her into the carrier and close the door. Usually they hide out in the carrier or trap anyway. Use the carrier as long as you think the vet can reach in a pull the cat out once at the clinic. Otherwise, transport in the trap is the best way because they can give her a sedative while she is inside the trap if she is extremely wild.

Try not to feel too bad for her right now during this whole ordeal. :alright: This IS the best thing for her whether she believes it or not at the moment. Look past all of this and to her future as a spayed, more calm and happy outdoor cat. Her chances of survival will be increased tremendously as she will only have herself to care for from now on. So hang in there and know that you are doing the right thing for her. It can be a overwhelming process the first time you do this but it is SO worth your effort knowing how many lives you will be saving. It is such a rewarding feeling in your heart. :heart3:

She will need to stay in the trap OR you can have the vet place her into a small carrier after surgery, which is what I do. Then I just take the kitty home in the carrier and let them recover overnight IF it is a female. Males can be released after they are fully awake in about five hours time. If it is a female in need of recovery overnight then I usually put the carrier inside that large wire dog crate with that small litter box, food and water. In the morning, I gently coax the kitty into the carrier with that yardstick BUT usually they are already inside the carrier hiding out. I close the carrier door and take them outside to be released.

GOOD LUCK and hope you have success in trapping her. :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

meowkittymeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Sorry I forgot to update!

We caught her
 She is actually pretty friendly and if she decides to stick around (we let her out today) since she is now spayed my husband said we can feed her. When I first let her outside, she came up and rubbed against my leg, which surprised me. When we left for the store she came running over to the car. So I put food and water out and we will see where it goes. She might take off tonight and never be seen again. If she does stick around and seems to be friendly enough I might try finding her a new home. I already have 4 cats and I just do not have the funds for a 5th!

I was a little worried letting her out so early after having been spayed, but TNR said that it was okay. Hopefully she will be fine 

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh wow!!  How wonderful!! 

She'll be able to be spayed and enjoy a loving home.

Well done you!!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
. I already have 4 cats and I just do not have the funds for a 5th!
:lol3: That's what I used to say too. :winkblue:

AND :woohoo: :dance: :high5: CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jump: Can you tell I am jumping for joy over this news and this fantastic update. This is just what I needed today, some really great news. I LOVE it when this happens, when a kitty gets trapped and turns out to be super friendly. For sure she will be sticking around. :nod: You will be seeing a whole lot of her. Name????? :D And, I certainly hope that you can find her a loving home. Thanks SO much for the update. :clap::clap: :hugs: You did a GREAT GREAT job. :high5:

meowkittymeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has stuck around! We are calling her "mama" for now. I am going to start looking for a home for her... I'm just not sure how to go about it as I do not trust most people around where I live. 

We have a little porch type area to the house that is closed in heated/aired etc almost like an extra room with a lot of windows. We do not really use it, I was thinking of bring her into that and trying to teach her to use the litter box (if she doesn't know already) and spending more time with her so she can be "ready" for a new home.