In heat and acting different?

meowkittymeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let me start by saying Poptart will be spayed as soon as she is out of heat. I have been struggling recently and did not have the money to have her spayed (I could not find a vet to do it that was under $175), however I have found a program that helps me with cost and she will be spayed once this cycle is over. She is 100% indoors and she will NOT be escaping, I can promise that ;)

So, Poptart is in heat. I have no doubt. She is not howling, but she keeps putting her butt up in the air and males are calling for her outside. I noticed since she has gone into heat she has turned into a butt. She has always been cuddly but recently she will lay on my lap then start swatting at me or start biting my arm then jump off... like  "how dare you try to touch me" (even if she is the one who jumped on my lap)! She also has started attacking my feet... I have been able to control that some by playing with her more. I also noticed that her eyes will dilate really big sometimes when she is on my lap... it freaks me out! 

Is this normal for a cat in heat? I have never had one in heat before. Will she ALWAYS be like this now? Or will this go away when she is out of it? Is she just sexually frustrated? I feel bad for waiting so long to have her spayed... 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think there's a fair chance that at the moment she is a victim of her hormones.  I imagine the behaviour will stop when she's been spayed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowkittymeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I really hope it is just hormones :)