In desperate need of help for my dad's cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree wit ea a kidney or liver problem, but i am also stumped on why the tests came back OK. Initially I thought there was a temperature involved, which would point to an infection of some sort, but the temp broke. It almost sounds like one of the "monsters inside me" stories on TV regarding some parasite infections that cause issues in the brain. The drink of water sounds encouraging but I know how you feel, which is terrible. Keep Squeaky warm and with you. Hopefully she has turned the corner and will continue to improve with encouragement. I, and my 5 resident cats, are hoping and pulling for Squeaky, your Dad, and yourself.

Jim 

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure hope Squeaky pulls through!  Come on, Squeaky!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenn15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, unfortunately, I have the worst possible news.  My dad had to put Squeaky to sleep on Sunday.  We thought on Friday that she was turning around, and then on Saturday, she was starting to walk around more, but she never started eating again and then stopped drinking completely.  On Sunday morning, she was totally listless, and my dad took her to the E.R.  They told him that her body was shutting down and she was suffering, so he did the right thing, even though it was a difficult decision.

One good thing is that my dad told me Squeaky went out on the porch with him on Saturday, and we had absolutely beautiful weather.  She just sat in his lap for hours and enjoyed the sun, which was something she loved to do.  I'm glad he'll have that last memory with her.

My dad has another cat, Catcher, who's getting lots of extra love today.

Thank you all for your help.  I wish I had better news to share, but it's nice to know that people understand and care. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no. I was so hoping that Squeaky would get better. 

Please accept my condolences and let your dad know how sorry I am for his loss. He did everything humanly possible to help Squeaky and letting her go when he realized that it was for the best was the ultimate act of compassion, friendship and love. Squeaky is at peace now over the bridge with lots of new friends to play with. She will always love and watch over him and you and you will both see her again when the time is right. Squeaky will never be sick or in pain again. 

RIP sweet Squeaky. You will never be forgotten and you always be loved. 

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm terribly sorry for your Dad and your loss. If the people of the world cared as much for each other as you did for Squeaky, the world would be a much better place. Its good to hear that Squeaky got out a little on Saturday, I had a very similar situation years ago and my cat Cleo also had a beautiful last day. I'm still not totally over it and probably never will, but Squeaky was fortunate to have someone like your family to take care of them.

Someday you will meet again.

Jim 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very sad update, and I am so sorry for yours and Dad's loss.

Just know that her body has failed and expired but her spirit and energy are free.

RIP Squeaky, you were so loved.

Sweet girl got her wings.  

jenn15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks you guys.  You're all making me cry, but that's okay -- we've been crying all week.  My daughters (8 and 4) had a tough time last night, and my 8-year-old even thought she saw Squeaky standing in the hallway.  I told her that she was there to let us all know that she's okay now.  All of our kitties are getting extra snuggles today, and our dog is, too.  None of them seem to mind.  :)

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss.  They are never with us long enough.  You and your family will be in my thoughts today during this difficult time.

RIP Squeaky, run free at the rainbow bridge.

Squeaky will not be forgotten as she will live on in a special place in the heart of all her family members.

Hugs to both you and your dad for having the courage to end Squeaky's suffering.

jenn15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I shared your condolences with my dad, and he was very grateful.  

Zed Xyzed also sent me a private message with some heartfelt words, and my dad was particularly grateful for that.  Here's his message...

Jen,

I am sure that I could not have read more comforting words at a time such as this from a stranger.

Please tell this person that I am forever grateful.  And, tell all those who offered their condolences that I am grateful for that, too.  Wow!

Love,

Dad 

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg, I just signed on and saw your thread had 8 responses and thought oh no. I'm so sorry!  I had so hoped Squeaky would pull through.  Having your pet PTS is one of the hardest things you'll ever do.  Tell your dad we were really pulling for Squeaky.  At the very least I am glad he had that last special time with her in his lap on the porch.  I'm so sorry! 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Such sad news to read.  The TCS Team offers our condolences.  We'll lock the thread now out of respect for your loss.  We invite you to post a tribute to Squeaky in our Crossing the Bridge forum.  

Status
Not open for further replies.