Improving the quality of life for a feral/community cat

feralcat6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been a colony caretaker for the past 4 years. Fresh food and water provided daily and ample winter sheltering consisting of mylar

and straw bedding. The shelters being restored on a monthly basis throughout the winter months. I continually feel that I need to do more

for these innocent homeless cats, specifically in regards to their overall health. The parameters of feral care are so very different in many

capacities. ? Is anyone currently or in the past addressed the ever present conditions of fleas, ticks, roundworms etc. with specific products

that are of a safe nature?

I am only able to touch some of the felines,thus the treatment would also have to be of an oral type. Any suggestions or advice is deeply

appreciated on this particular aspect of feral/community cat care. Thanks

Gerard

"Cats Are A Man's Best Friend"

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for caring for all of these cats.  You alone are greatly improving the quality of their lives with fresh food/water and winter shelters.  A product I have heard about that is safe to use around cats for flea control is Diatomaceous earth.  You can do a search on it to find out how to use it.  I do believe it can be mixed into their food as well as sprinkled onto bedding and surrounding earth.  Just be sure it is labeled food grade as this is the only safe diatomaceous earth product safe for cats and other animals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralcat6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words of support and flea & tick prevention recommendation. Are you familiar with the usage of Brewers Yeast & Garlic powder

as another method of prevention? Thanks again for being my ally in this pursuit of feral information.

Gerard

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
the usage of Brewers Yeast & Garlic powder
No, Im not.  but garlic is supposed to be poisonous for cats.  I know its not highly poisonous, as garlic is included in some qualitative cat food.  but it must be a quite high dosage here, to effectively scare off tics and fleas...

But for humans it should work as protection.

So, unless you get positive recommedations from several experienced cat rescuers, I wouldnt advise you to try.

The DE, food grade / human grade,  mentioned earlier, kills also internal worms, not just fleas and tics, so it is an all round helper.

But is not dangerous for animals.

Good luck!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not familiar with Brewer's Yeast or Garlic for cats, but as suggested above, garlic is not good for cats.  I have known many people to have success with DE.