Improving my feeding routine

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a followup on my earlier question about feeding my two cats (15+ and 7 months). The all stages food (Natural Balance) that I found for them seems to be agreeing with both of them (in that both of them have eaten it with no upset tummies and are off of the kitten food).

However, I'm not quite satisfied I have their routine right. The reasons being that I did find some cat vomit in our garage when I got home tonight (I'm not sure which cat was responsible or if it could be the newish food). I watched the older cat go back and forth between their food dish and their water dish three different times so wondered if she might be eating too much at one time. The other thing being that they are turning up their noses at the wet food (Meow Mix) my dad gives them. Which is unusual for the older cat. Also they tend to spill water from their plastic water dish.

I am thinking of swapping out the plastic water dish for a metal one, and putting the water dish back where the food is (I moved it away to encourage them to drink more, but am not sure if that's an issue with my cats. I also might try putting their food away at night, so they are hungry in the morning. I was also thinking I should probably get a couple of weights on the senior cat to make sure that she's not gaining more weight on this regimen.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts on improvements I can make. The senior cat does have bad teeth (the vet that looked at her said she wanted her eye issues - dialated pupils - dealt with first - and has an opthalomology appointment next week. She also seems to have bad hearing, as she doesn't respond when I shake her treat bag like she used to.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my opinion a senior cat should eat 100% wet food, not kibble, as they really need the moisture levels in wet food to help avoid kidney issues. I also believe every cat owner should have a water fountain to encourage drinking and to keep the water clean. Meow mix is really low quality food, i really wouldn't feed that. If you're on a tight budget for wet food go for Fancy Feast classic both the chicken and the turkey and giblet are significantly better than meow mix. 

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't mention if your cat is fussy or not. For some cats seniors in particular changing foods can be hard for them. Some might not eat at all if you change foods. If you find your cat is starving themselves rather than eating a new food go back to the old stuff.

Canned is best for keeping the water works running also get a Brita to filter the water. Tap water is loaded with chemicals that are hard on aging organs.

If your cat will play with catnip toys there are a few chewing toys that help floss teeth. My cat likes kong misfits it has rope that floss as they chew.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks.  I'm satisfied they are both eating the dry food without any more troubles, so will stick with that brand for now.  I will also look into finding something more nutritious than Meow Mix, so that they can have wet food as part of their diet and not as just a treat.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks.  I'm satisfied they are both eating the dry food without any more troubles, so will stick with that brand for now.  I will also look into finding something more nutritious than Meow Mix, so that they can have wet food as part of their diet and not as just a treat.
A good canned food Indy loves is Wellness but with ckd you'll want something low phosphorus since phosphorus is hard on kidneys.

yogakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In terms of a water fountain, I found this suggestion on the forum to be a bit misleading. It's as if every cat will automatically take to it. I tried two, and both were a fail. My cat didn't even show any interest. I bought the Catit water dispenser as a last resort, and am returning it today.

My suggestion, if you are going to get a fountain, make sure to keep the receipt and that you can return it for a full refund. My guy is on all wet, and I've just resorted to fresh water in a bowl. I have a brita filter for myself, so I use filtered water for kitty as well. If he drinks he drinks. If not, then at least he's getting the moisture from the wet food and the water bowl is always there in case he feels like it.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
In terms of a water fountain, I found this suggestion on the forum to be a bit misleading. It's as if every cat will automatically take to it. I tried two, and both were a fail. My cat didn't even show any interest. I bought the Catit water dispenser as a last resort, and am returning it today.

My suggestion, if you are going to get a fountain, make sure to keep the receipt and that you can return it for a full refund. My guy is on all wet, and I've just resorted to fresh water in a bowl. I have a brita filter for myself, so I use filtered water for kitty as well. If he drinks he drinks. If not, then at least he's getting the moisture from the wet food and the water bowl is always there in case he feels like it.
Agree 100% about the fountain all it did for us was make people need to pee.

william1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im in the same both, my cat had blood tests done and we were told he wasnt getting as much water. I always fresh up his water bowl and make sure its full. But I did go out and buy a water fountain and he can care less about it. Ive even moved it in about 4 different spots now. I do add water to his wet food as a last resort and that works. What kind of wet food do you use for your cats? Also looking for new suggestions. Thank you. 

yogakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im in the same both, my cat had blood tests done and we were told he wasnt getting as much water. I always fresh up his water bowl and make sure its full. But I did go out and buy a water fountain and he can care less about it. Ive even moved it in about 4 different spots now. I do add water to his wet food as a last resort and that works. What kind of wet food do you use for your cats? Also looking for new suggestions. Thank you. 
I'm using Natures Instinct wet and Ziwipeaks. Im still on the lookout for other options. Like home cooked. Maybe even raw. A little nervous about that. I also add some water to his wet food. He used to drink quite a bit of water when he was on dry. But since I switched him to all wet I honestly don't think I've seen him drink even once.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Cats on a 100% wet or raw food diet don't drink water very often. I have 10 cats, and 3 large thirsty cat fountains. I don't see most of my cats drink very often, but the fountains are large enough that the cats that don't like to drink from the stream of water can drink from the bowl. The pump and filter ensure that the water is constantly clean, which is the most important thing. Bowls of water without a pump will easily attract dirt, dust, hair, bugs, and will need to be changed out much more often. 

yogakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's ok. Water should be changed every day anyways. I usually change it in the morning and when I get home from work. I use Brita filtered water since I filter it for myself as well.

I don't know about you but I don't have bugs or dirt in the house though lol.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Filtered water is especially good for ckd cats since the chemicals they pump into the water to clean it (chlorine etc) are hard on the kidneys. My guys get filtered water too I have a rainbird it's like a brita but sits under the counter with its own tap up top.

It has two cylinders below and a big metal canister.

Last edited: