Important, miraculous story! please read and reply with answers or comments!

brina0025

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So here is m ordeal, june 16 i came to my fiances house because he called me and said he had found a small kitten so i came over and immediately i noticed the small orange male kitten was extremely dehydrated, so dehydrated that his eyes were sunken so we went to the local animal shelter and the whole way there i was hoping they were closed so i would have the excuse to take the little guy home and nurse him myself and when we arrived the shelter was closed (to my advantage) and i insissted that we not leave him at the afterhours surrender there because he wouldnt survive and even though justin didnt agree and swore up and down we had too many pets, the small kitten ended up coming home with us, we went to the local pet store as a last resort for a nursing bottle and kitten milk, they had a bottle but were out of the kitten milk so we went to the dollar general next door and got eveporated milk, i didnt know at that time that cats couldnt have cows milk, i fed him about an ounce of it and took him home and washed him with cat and dog shampoo, then decided to take him to my neighbor who has dozens of cats and has had twenty years of experience with abandoned kittens, she told me he was doing great and that he wouldnt have survived another hour had i not gotten evaporated milk as a last resort and said he was very lucky and to get kitten milk from walmart asap and i didnt mention the bath i had given him earlier. i went to my mothers house and we went and got the milk and some wipes for his eyes (they were crusted over slightly) and i then decided to name the kitty "sheriff" because he was a true trooper, sheriff immediately took a liking to the milk and i fed him every two hours, the 17th at about eleven o'clock sheriff went into a state that was like he was dead, except his little heart didnt give up, he remained like this and justin and i continuously kept fluids in him so he wouldnt dehydrate and be back in the first stage if by a slim chance he did survive, he remained like this until this morning, we were going to take him to the vet to be put out of his extreme misery but when i woke to a faint meowing and found sheriff out of the stage (that i have known from experience) to be the last stage of life and was miraciulously completely recovered except for his slight dehydration and weakness. he is now amazingly normal again. his symptoms seem to be those of a seizure and a following stroke but im not sure, im hoping for answers of what may have caused this. it completely mezmerizes me that he is alive and at that, completely mobile and functioning, any answers would be GREATLY appriciated. i also would like to know if "oil-dry" is a safe alternitive for kitty litter (especially for a three week old kitten)
Thank you. please reply with any answers!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so, right now you are feeding kitten milk, right? NOT evaporated milk anymore, correct?
Have you taken the little one to the vet yet? How old is the kitten?
Even though oil Dri manufacturers cat litter, I would just use proper cat litter - for kittens, non clumping, pure clay

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um, evaporated milk makes a fine kitten formula base (Google for recipes). I have had far more success with evaporated milk based formulas than with pre-made, store-bought formulas. The evaporation process takes out most of the lactose, and it's not "sugary", other than the natural sugars in all milk. Maybe you're thinking of sweetened condensed milk.

Anyway, I wonder if the little guy was just sleeping off his bad experience--it can be hard to wake up a kitten that's sleeping deeply. Keep bottle feeding/eyedropper feeding him, in a few days you can try him on canned food mixed with kitten formula, but it might take him a while to catch on. Do get him to the vet ASAP; he may need sub-q fluids to get him caught up, and the vet may have a few more suggestions to help. And if he really did have a seizure or stroke, vet care is especially essential. He will need to be de-wormed (by the vet!) soon, but I think he's too young right now. Follow the vet's recommendation on that and DO NOT use a store-bought de-wormer--he's had it hard enough!

While oil-dri is pretty much the same thing as cat litter, it's best to use stuff that's sold especially for cats. Regular, unscented, non-clumping clay litter is best at that age. Put it in a shallow container (like a cardboard can tray), and he should pick it up quickly. He is a bit young and might need some help, so if he doesn't use the litter soon ask the vet about helping him go.

I hope he continues to do well! Vibes for the little guy!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
another way to help hydrate the kitten is to mix pedalite infant rehydration formula. The vet recommended I use it when my orphan kitten became dehydrated. I would highly recommend you take this little one to a vet. The kitten may have issues you are unaware of.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This kitten has been very lucky so far but please get him checked out by a vet!

Originally Posted by Willowy

Um, evaporated milk makes a fine kitten formula base (Google for recipes). I have had far more success with evaporated milk based formulas than with pre-made, store-bought formulas. The evaporation process takes out most of the lactose, and it's not "sugary", other than the natural sugars in all milk. Maybe you're thinking of sweetened condensed milk.
Personally I have had the best luck with goat's milk in a pinch, and there are a number of recipes for formula that use it as well.

adweena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Little Sherrif is lucky you insisted on keeping him as opposed to leaving him at the shelter! Who knows what may have happened!

Definatley take him to a vet ASAP! If money is tight, the shelter may be able to help you find some lower cost clinics.

I hope he was just suffering from hunger and dehydration...nothing a little TLC from you and a vet can't cure and not anything more serious. Warm thoughts To you and Sherrif

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In this emergency situation the OP did the best they could under the circumstances, i.e., shelter being closed, not able to get kitten milk immediately. The OP probably saved this kitten's life.

It helps nobody if we are judgmental in our posts. This site is a teaching site so let us teach and not criticize.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Adweena

Little Sherrif is lucky you insisted on keeping him as opposed to leaving him at the shelter! Who knows what may have happened!

Definatley take him to a vet ASAP! If money is tight, the shelter may be able to help you find some lower cost clinics.
Right, you had done a marvelously thing! Nice example a concerned citizen CAN do the difference, even not being no "pro".

We here dont know what sort of shelter it was. Some shelters help mainly astray or dumped home cats, like say, in Sweden the big society "Animals friends".
If the shelter was not specialized on helping homeless, and helping very young kittens... Quite possible you being there was the ONLY way for Sheriff to be saved...

But now is time for the next steps. And NOW it may be wise to contact this shelter. Shelters usually do have lack of place, especielly for cases they are not used to. But it is often possible the founder and rescuer is the fostering home cooperating with the shelter, the shelter helping with costs for vet and so. Or at the very least, they do recommend you some experienced but cheap vet, someone they do cooperate with. Or give you vouchers to some vet. No 100% quarantee they will do so, but this is common enough.

Tx for your work!

Good luck!

Ps. Welcome to the Forums!