Important Information for Females of ALL Ages

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweets

An important thing to remember...if you do get a chance to scream, don't yell help. Most people are afraid to go help. But if you yell FIRE people come running to see.
oh wow!! ill have to remember that!

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ccoccocats

OMG! How horrible! Are you ok? When did this happen? How is your son handling what he witnessed or heard, if he heard anything that is? You can PM me if you'd like. I am truly so sorry to bring up this horrible traumatic event.
It was June or July 17, 1986, so it was almost 20 yrs. ago.

My son & daughter never knew anything. They were both asleep.

I was told by the investigator that I was lying and they never took any interest in finding the guy. He wore some sort of shirt over his face, so I never got a good description. Then I found out they did investigate me for prostitution. I had a new (used) car in the driveway and my house was furnished with things I couldn't have afforded on a part-time job that I had at the time. Wonder why I don't trust the local police dept??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Eva-loves-cats

I wish I hadn't been so stupid...By reading that no wonder I was an easy target. :'(
Are you, too, saying something happened to you!! OMG please tell me nothing serious, or that you're ok. You too can PM me if you want to share. I'm sorry whatever it was that happened to you.

gargoyle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There's a really excellent book I read years ago which I would recommend, for both men and women. It is called The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker.

If someone/something doesn't feel "right", listen up. Your intuition/brain/whatever might be noticing more than you realize. This book talks about how one can recognize certain signals of violence and how to respond. It talks about being aware of one's environment and paying attention to what's going on around you. I found this to be a real eye-opener.

unicorn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I generally find that steel-toed boots enable you to win most physical differences of opinion.
I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, believe me, and I do appreciate the advice. Such things are always useful.
The best defense, in my opinion, is to always be alert to your surroundings and don't be afraid of looking like an idiot if you go for help.
Women, as a group, are smaller, physically weaker and slower on the move than men, thanks to our lower percentage of muscle mass. So work on your strengths. Do your wear high heels? Those can be dangerous defensive weapons, as can be keys in the hand or anything else you are holding or can get ahold of quickly.
Granted, in an attack situation, there won't be a lot of time to react and think about what is going on. But don't be afraid to take an injury if it saves your life. You can grab a knife blade and cut your hand open, but it may keep something more vital from being cut. Just never leave with the attacker - do EVERYTHING you can to keep the situation where it begins. Chances are, if they take you somewhere, you won't survive the encounter.
I make it a point to have something that can be used as an offensive weapon on my person or in my vehicle wherever I am. I carry a four-inch knife with me everywhere and my truck holds an interesting arsenal of things to hit an attacker with. I don't look for trouble, but I pity the one who tries to take me on. I may not win, but he'll darned well know he ran up against me.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for posting that Cheryl! April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month, and it is important that everyone- men and women- be as educated as possible on the subject.
Another tip that I give to all of my clients (who are sexual assault and DV victims) is: if you are kidnapped and throw in the trunk of a car, KICK OUT THE TAILLIGHTS! If you can stick a hand or a foot out to show people that you are in there, even better. So many people have been saved by using this technique. STAY SAFE Y'ALL!!!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to bump this back up because this is such an important thread that EVERYONE should read!