[important!] Hernia Care After Spay?

Mochicat

All About Mochi
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! In thsi thread i’ll update about Mochi’s progress. She got spayed on 01/11/18 at returned home the same day at 2 PM. Everything was going well until i noticed a bump on her incision that was very red. Today I took her in and she got surgery done again but this time for a hernia that was formed. Have any of your cats gotten hernia’s after their spaying/neuturing as well? I took her in expecting it just to be me overreacting but... it ended up being a hernia. Luckly I took her in as soon as I saw it and I didn’t wait, could it have gotten bigger? Hers appeared to be around the size of a nickle. I’m assuming the hernia for cats hurt aswell. Mochi seemed very down this morning and slept until it was her appointment time. Since shes 7 months I also found it odd for her to be that quiet and calm. A few days ago she got out while I was at school and climbed a post, could this have caused her to form a hernia? What other factors could have caused this? I can’t put her any where else but my room. She usually sleeps on my bed so she jumps on there but she won’t sleep anywhere else without meowing. She also dashes out the door at times. What advice can you guys give me to ensure that she heals nicely this time

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had a cat that was spayed have a hernia. I have had males born with umbilical hernias though. Can you keep her in a large dog crate with her litter, food and water, so she can't run or jump and injure herself?
As for your questions, yes, it could have gotten bigger or twisted had you not brought her in. If it had twisted, it could've been deadly. Climbing a post could've done it I suppose, pretty much any strain on the abdominal area. I do think it's strange though as I've had ferals spayed and they weren't under any nursing care afterwards. Possibly the vet that did the original spay didn't use strong enough sutures that would hold. I'm just trying to list potential causes that I can think of off the top of my head. Please keep us updated on Mochi.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mochicat

All About Mochi
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never had a cat that was spayed have a hernia. I have had males born with umbilical hernias though. Can you keep her in a large dog crate with her litter, food and water, so she can't run or jump and injure herself?
As for your questions, yes, it could have gotten bigger or twisted had you not brought her in. If it had twisted, it could've been deadly. Climbing a post could've done it I suppose, pretty much any strain on the abdominal area. I do think it's strange though as I've had ferals spayed and they weren't under any nursing care afterwards. Possibly the vet that did the original spay didn't use strong enough sutures that would hold. I'm just trying to list potential causes that I can think of off the top of my head. Please keep us updated on Mochi.
Hi! Thank you for your help. Mochi is sleeping now. Here are her sutures.

Attachments

Mochicat

All About Mochi
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey! Update on Mochi. She slept fine in her big crate that I set up for her. She ate and finally drank water. Hasnt pooped yet thought. Shes peed alot. I went out for a while so I made sure to let her out while I was at home so she wouldnt get too fed up while I was away. Came back and she threw up ): . Hopefully she doesn’t continue to do si. Shes been really affectionate today too, loves to have her back scratches and her head petted. Here are some photos

Attachments

Mochicat

All About Mochi
Young Cat
Purraise
01/21/18
-
Mochi slept in until 9! She usually wakes up really early. She pooped today as well, smaller appetite but shes drinking a lot of water. Really affectionate still. Loves to lay on my laptop. Today I noticed that her scar looks a little weird. Its tight in the middle and on the ends it has bumps that are slightly pink. Could this be swelling from the stitching itself? Here’s a picture from today.:happycat:

Attachments