[IMP KITTEN SPAY] She is cold and unresponsive

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, i just got my cat spayed like 2 hours back! When i was picking her up from vet, she was moving her legs when i was trying to touch her ( showing she was active a little but still laying down) . We got home and she hasn’t been moving since then. She is awake, breathing but her ears and feets are cold. I called vet and they said to keep disturbing her and don’t let her sleep.
Am I worrying too much? Is it normal? What do i do?

Edit. Made a paper ball and she heard the sound and started to get up! Paper ball for the win

Last edited by a moderator:

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RudrakshS RudrakshS Cats have trouble regulating their body temp after anesthesia so keep an eye on her provide a warm place for her to rest also it could be the anesthesia making her so listless. When I got my girl spayed last month she was not even able to get up for over 12 hours.. and when she tried she would just fall over then a few minutes later just go back to sleep.

This is just the experience i had with my girl.
I would keep an eye on her keep her warm and if you see any kind of decline get ahold of your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! My cat is not being quite and normal with cone . I’ve kept her in crate and she is constantly trying to get it off ( ive adjusted it quite a few times) . What do i do? If i get her out, she will keep moving and jumping around trying to remove it. Please help

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RudrakshS RudrakshS
How does she act when she is out of the crate?
Ok my girls name is Gabby.
She hates crates so I didn't crate her even though vet told me that would be the best bet.. but she would have flipped out. And I mean she would have flipped out to the point of hurting herself..
So I kept her out and kept an eye on her and honestly I was worried about her jumping on the couch or bed or anything really but she didn't.
She also had an issue with the cone.
With the correct size cone she would fold in half like a lawn chair trying to get to her incision and the edge of the cone was scraping the very end of her incision
This resulted in it separating a little bit.
I took her back to the vet and told them what was going on they gave me a larger cone, one for a medium size dog so as you can imagine it was quite large around her neck...
What I had to do was put the cone on first then I put her actual collar on second where it would be inside the cone wo if she tried backing out of the cone it would catch on her collar and wouldn't come off.
It took her a little while she was fine and stopped trying to get it off after a little time passed.
They also have surgical suits (I also got one for Gabby) and she liked that way better than the cone.
At first when I put the suit on her she just laid there for about 10 minutes but then it was fine and she didn't mind it.
The attached photo is the surgical suit I got for her and it worked great.
Maybe a surgical recovery suit would be the better of the two for your girl??

Attachments

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How does she act when she is out of the crate?
Ok my girls name is Gabby.
She hates crates so I didn't crate her even though vet told me that would be the best bet.. but she would have flipped out. And I mean she would have flipped out to the point of hurting herself..
So I kept her out and kept an eye on her and honestly I was worried about her jumping on the couch or bed or anything really but she didn't.
She also had an issue with the cone.
With the correct size cone she would fold in half like a lawn chair trying to get to her incision and the edge of the cone was scraping the very end of her incision
This resulted in it separating a little bit.
I took her back to the vet and told them what was going on they gave me a larger cone, one for a medium size dog so as you can imagine it was quite large around her neck...
What I had to do was put the cone on first then I put her actual collar on second where it would be inside the cone wo if she tried backing out of the cone it would catch on her collar and wouldn't come off.
It took her a little while she was fine and stopped trying to get it off after a little time passed.
They also have surgical suits (I also got one for Gabby) and she liked that way better than the cone.
At first when I put the suit on her she just laid there for about 10 minutes but then it was fine and she didn't mind it.
The attached photo is the surgical suit I got for her and it worked great
thank you for insights. We tried keeping her outside of crate with cone but then she started running around the room to get it off, now put her again in crate and she is doing flips trying to take the cone out. I’m concerned because she is hurting her stitches most likely.
i tried making a surgery suit with a shirt but she managed to get away while putting on and gave me 7 deep cuts 🥲!What to do??

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried her with the cone off? A lot of cats are actually fine without one on.. I had some house problems (long story but almost had a fire, had fire dept and water company we had a weird smell come to find out it was almost a fire.) and had strangers coming in and out so she hid and tried getting to her incision.. (Gabby is very timid and scared of strangers which is why that day caused problems for her mentally...) but before that day she didn't even need a cone on she left her incision site alone.

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried her with the cone off? A lot of cats are actually fine without one on.. I had some house problems (long story but almost had a fire, had fire dept and water company we had a weird smell come to find out it was almost a fire.) and had strangers coming in and out so she hid and tried getting to her incision.. (Gabby is very timid and scared of strangers which is why that day caused problems for her mentally...) but before that day she didn't even need a cone on she left her incision site alone.
Yeah she will lick the incision for sure! I’m scared since the vet put a tape on it, she might try to rip it and cause damage. Dont think can do without cone or a medium to not have it licked

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what tape you are referring to. Gabby had internal sutures only. She didn't have any external stitches and no tape of any kind. And I honestly have no clue what to do in this case.. could you call your vet and let them know what is going on and see what advise they offer?
Maybe someone else will read this thread that has some better information than I have.. I'm sorry I can't provide better advice for you and your little one.

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know what tape you are referring to. Gabby had internal sutures only. She didn't have any external stitches and no tape of any kind. And I honestly have no clue what to do in this case.. could you call your vet and let them know what is going on and see what advise they offer?
Maybe someone else will read this thread that has some better information than I have.. I'm sorry I can't provide better advice for you and your little one.
I’m not sure if she has external stitches too. I just am seeing some bandaid type thing with paper tape on it. Doctor said dont remove and let it get removed by itself. I’ll call vet tomorrow and see what to do.
I’ll try to put her suit tomorrow morning again!!
thank you for quick responses btw

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No worries. I really wish I knew of something else that could help. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
Do you have a surgical suit?
If so can you try taking the cone off and putting the suit on and give her a little time to adjust?

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No worries. I really wish I knew of something else that could help. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
Do you have a surgical suit?
If so can you try taking the cone off and putting the suit on and give her a little time to adjust?
I do not but i made one own of my cloths. Is it okay to put that on? Also please tell me what all to take care/ how to. Doctor gave basic info but need some tips from someone who has experienced it.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly just keep an eye on the site
Just make sure it doesn't get red, hot, no foul odors, no pus, also make sure there isnt blood leaking out. There really isn't a lot you can do besides keeping an eye on the site and trying to keep her from licking/biting the incision site and keep her from going crazy jumping and running around. Do not put any ointments on it do not use hydrogen peroxide on it. If you are thinking of doing anything or putting anything on it contact the vet to make sure that it would be ok before you do.
I was advised by my vet that if it looked dirty to just take a damp soft cloth and gently wipe it. But I would check with your vet to make sure that would be OK because your cat has some kind of bandage on her incision site.
And if you have any questions or concerns you can always take pictures and send them to your vet. If something seems really wrong do not hesitate to get ahold of them to get her seen.
And if the suit you made works, yea you can definitely use it. I tried to make one and while I was trying to tie it on Gabby she would get away so I just ordered one off amazon which made everything much easier. It was easy to put on so she wasn't sitting there waiting for me to tie the one I made...

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are ok without the cone but many do need it at least in my experience, even Kabuto had one after being castrated.

Hector my old cat actualy ripped her spay incision opened and it was messy to put it nicely. The vet stapled her back closed with actual surgical staples and i kept the cone on.

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats are ok without the cone but many do need it at least in my experience, even Kabuto had one after being castrated.

Hector my old cat actualy ripped her spay incision opened and it was messy to put it nicely. The vet stapled her back closed with actual surgical staples and i kept the cone on.
But the thing is how do i actually make her keep it on. Is it okay if she does flips and tries hard to take it off but is in crate? Would it cause harm to incisions? :(