Immune system boosters

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OK, since the Interferon is out due to cost does anyone know of anything else. It came come from a vet or otherwise, my vet is up to any suggestions I have. Attitude needs a boost since she is having so many problems beating this eye infection and since I'm doing her I might as well do Nuts too. I'm currently waiting for my Lysine to arrive, I guess it was helping since she looks worse since we ran out. It was supposed to be here today and it isn't, they got about 30 mins before it's 5.

I just need it and I need a good immune system booster or some treatment used in FeLV+ cats, like the Interferon.

Thanks in advance

Taryn

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Remind me again what all you've tried for the eye problem? Is it an eye ulcer? Have you tried the Eye See Clearly drops ordered online?

You can give echinacea to boost the immune system. This is not my information; it's some helpful info on treatments for eyes from the yahoo herpes group:

Neo-poly-bac eye ointment (no steroid) or terramycin, if eyes are infected or inflammed (theirs were closed shut and oozing and had to be gently washed twice a day). If there is an ulcer, you need idoxuridine eye drops.

Lysine, 250mg/day mixed in food combats viral infections. Can be increased to
500mg/ twice a day when there is a flare up.

Echinacea, 250mg/day mixed in food. I used Costco's Tru-nature paste, the
powder is usually very bitter. Stimulates the immune system. It takes 2 weeks
to start working. Mine were on it continuously and it made a big difference in
their immune system.

High quality food, no corn. We actually cooked their food at home from chicken or beef, with carrots and green beans, and added multi-vitamins for cats in it.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A multivitamin is also good for a general immune health boost. I use a cat vitamin call Pet Naturals of Vermont - it has pretty good ingredients and my cats like it enough to eat it as a treat. It has stopped Niko from getting flea allergy symptoms the past two years (she used to have trouble even on monthly Frontline).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is just a standard issue eye infection that seems to not want to clear up, I think due to antibiotic resistance, but it could be anything.

It is most likely on top of the leukemia she has herpes since as I said I didn't think the lysine was helping but it was without me knowing it.

As I said I ordered more before I realized it was helping because even if it wasn't working I still didn't want to take them off it. It was supposed to be delivered today but it wasn't so I'm sure I'll get it tomorrow.

When the vet calls me back I'll discuss these with him. He said he is also going to look into herbal boosters, that he'll have to contact someone with experience on this so I do like that he is willing to look 'outside the box' of traditional medicine to help them. It tells me that he really wants to help me and Attitude to get better and help Nuts at the same time. I know he knows how much money I have spent in the past month on vet bills trying to get her better. I'm not neglectful, if I notice her eye flaring up and I can't get it to clear I'm in there as soon as they can get me in, I'm not waiting until it's really bad.

I love them and will do anything for them, but he knows I'm not made of money and even he thought $500 for the Interferon was a total rip-off, he said he wouldn't be willing to pay that much for it(and I'm sure he could afford it) and would be looking for alternatives if it was his own animals. It was $80- $100 for 2 cats for a 10 week course, now it's $500 which is totally outrageous.

An aid organization would be nice if anyone knows of any that will not balk at helping kitties with leukemia.

I hate admitting I can't afford something and that I'm poor. It's embarrassing and why I truly refuse to go on public assistance even though I know if I get welfare they will help me find a job. through welfare to work. I have looked and looked and looked for a job and there is nothing to be had. I can't work fast food, the smell is too much, not to mention I'm so overqualified they wouldn't hire me. I can do stand up jobs as long as I am provided a place to sit to do the job when my feet or back acts up, just a stool(that keeps me above counter height so I can still perform my job without issue. I'm not lazy and I need a job and will do what I need to to help my cats but no one is hiring and they do have to something for me to sit on through ADA since it is a reasonable accommodation and doesn't effect my ability to preform the job. I can still walk and get places I need to to help customers I just can't be strictly on my feet mostly standing in on one place for 8+ hours. This is for my cats so i have to swallow my pride just as I would if it were Bobby. Attitude and Nuts aren't cats they are my furry kids.

Like I said if you know of any organization that might be able to assist me I'll be most grateful. I want to help them and do the best thing possible for them, just as I would if it were Bobby. I'd apply for Carecredit if I could but they won't cover the Interferon which is what I actually need the assistance in paying for.

If anyone know any place that can help me I would be so so grateful. I hate having to ask for help but this is more important than my pride.

Thank you so much in advance I know you should be able to help me.

Taryn

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly I would only use Lysine... WHY? Immune boosting in a animal with immune issues is Dangerous... Consult a vet

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My VET was the one who recommended it. If Interferon wasn't so expensive I'd be doing that and yes that is a VALID treatment for boosting the immune system of FeLV positive cats.

Taryn

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taryn

My VET was the one who recommended it. If Interferon wasn't so expensive I'd be doing that and yes that is a VALID treatment for boosting the immune system of FeLV positive cats.

Taryn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interferon

Read it ... it is not a Immune booster as a immune stimulant( which is actually naturally occurring in a immune system) ... two very very different items...

As for finding help... have you asked the sanctuaries and shelters near you? Many will either directly help or give you ideas of who would...

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OK, what I needed a stimulant not a booster. My vet used the word booster I believe not a stimulant but he might have. I know what I needed I just worded it wrong.

Taryn

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taryn

OK, what I needed a stimulant not a booster. My vet used the word booster I believe not a stimulant but he might have. I know what I needed I just worded it wrong.

Taryn
Sorry It is a pet peeve of mine... as I have a immune disorder myself and over the yrs have gotten lots of "boosting " advice... the well meaning folks do not realize they can cause grave harm by boosting

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Transfer Factor works a modulator, especially the classic, not a booster which is why it is quite special... I would talk to the vet about it, but I believe I posted links specific about using for FeLV.

s han

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Carolina:

Since you have experience using Transfer Factor to your cats. Could you please give me suggestion?

Last month, Oldie was in the hospital for 13 days. He is FIV+. He has bartonella and haemobartonellosis. He has blood transfusion because of his red blood count was low. After two to three days of the transfusion, his blood count dropped again. It was so low that even not register on the computer chart. He needed another blood transfusion from two different cats. It was a very high risk. At that time I found out Transfer Factor. I talked to to vet. He agreed to try it. After two days he gave him the Transfer Factor Plus two times a day. His blood count went up to 7%, then after two more days went up to 17%. I took him home and nurse him back to health. I keep giving him the Transfer Factor once a day. After one week I took him home. He went back for another blood test. His blood count was 30%. Starting from last Tuesday, I give him the Transfer Factor Plus every other day. Should I keep giving him the Transfer Factor Plus for his whole life? Or should I change to the Classic? Or I can stop using the Transfer Factor? Please give me your opinion. He is eating good and healthy now. But I understand that FIV+ cat has a weak immune system.

Thank you!